Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yes, I am (via Garmin Express) but it is tedious unpicking all the stretches. Naismith is a handy rough and ready tool when walking
The cycling equivalent may be VAM for decent climbs, Strava will give you this but it's still a bit crude.

Unless you get a power meter you can't compare different climbs very well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, I am (via Garmin Express) but it is tedious unpicking all the stretches. Naismith is a handy rough and ready tool when walking
I don't quite understand what you mean by unpicking all the stretches?

That's all done for you on Strava.
Any one of us could tell you all their times up, say, Ditchling Beacon in a couple of minutes.
Within 5 minutes of cross referencing they'd also be able to tell you their ave speed, maximum speed, some will also have ave and max cadence, plus heart rate.

It's all there if you click on the arrow next to the 'All Time' box on your chosen segment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't quite understand what you mean by unpicking all the stretches?

That's all done for you on Strava.
Any one of us could tell you all their times up, say, Ditchling Beacon in a couple of minutes.
Within 5 minutes of cross referencing they'd also be able to tell you their ave speed, maximum speed, some will also have ave and max cadence, plus heart rate.

It's all there if you click on the arrow next to the 'All Time' box on your chosen segment.

I got the impression as a new cyclist [MENTION=19156]warmleyseagull[/MENTION] was trying to establish how he could plan a ride with available general data against some kind of model. I was merely pointing out that my own individual data varies wildly even for a small climb, and so can't think of any effective way you could plan a climb time based on a graph like the Naismith one.

We both know that if we wanted to for example, we could plan to climb the Beacon in under 6mins, however in reality the scenery is far to nice to miss going past too fast...:moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got the impression as a new cyclist [MENTION=19156]warmleyseagull[/MENTION] was trying to establish how he could plan a ride with available general data against some kind of model. I was merely pointing out that my own individual data varies wildly even for a small climb, and so can't think of any effective way you could plan a climb time based on a graph like the Naismith one.

We both know that if we wanted to for example, we could plan to climb the Beacon in under 6mins, however in reality the scenery is far to nice to miss going past too fast...:moo:

Surely then it's just a case of knowing your minimum average speed, not something that can be predetermined, for all the reasons you guys have said.

Does Warmley want a short cut to:-
'tap side of nose'
'Playful wink'
"local knowledge, sonny, local knowledge"

If so he's gotta earn his stripes just like everyone else.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Bike has sat in the garage unused for over a month. I will do the short commute on it tomorrow.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Highlights of Arctic Race of Norway on now. I mention this because the scenery is quite simply breathtaking. Eurosport 2.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My search for a genuine winter hack is stepping up a gear.
Although if this weather continues I'll be needing a Summer hack.

As much as [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] knocked some sense back into me, the lure of 'gravel/adventure' bikes is still strong

Luckily as well as 'that' Cannondale there are some truly awful looking bikes in that market:-

2015_Giant_AnyRoad_1.jpg

Calling this the Revolt is just an open goal

2015_Giant_Revolt_1.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Naturally the Bianchi is a thing of beauty, but not with low grade fishing tackle groupset, and black bar tape :sick: :smile:

csm_ZURIGO_TIAGRA_DISC_32f922cde0.jpg

I'm tempted by the Spech, although I didn't get on with the Roubaix I test rode one way back in the day

specialized-diverge-sport-2015-adventure-road-bike.jpg

I'm also keen on the Genesis Datum from a couple a pages back, even though that looks under specced for the money.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
That old helmet debate again.

They are mandatory in Australia, and this seems to be having a negative effect on cycling.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...lmet-laws-do-more-harm-than-good-senate-hears
It's the law in NZ as well. Christchurch has quite a lot of cyclists, but Wellington and Auckland don't. I suspect that's more to do with the topography than anything else though. Christchurch is on the edge of the Canterbury Plains, so pretty damn flat.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I bottled another climb this morning.

:(

I've been down it plenty of times so decided it was time I went up it, but at about the half way point I lost my nerve completely. I've decided its time to offload more timber. I'm gonna swerve the post ride tucker for a while.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
6' carrying 81 kilos. (12 1/2 stones)

I've dropped a couple of stones over the last couple of years.
Getting into the 11 stone bracket would be amazing but somewhat unlikely.

We went to look at a Spech Diverge yesterday.
Southdowns have a couple on display next to the Crux, cross bike.

The difference is quite startling, the diverge is very 'relaxed'.

The 58cm model looked massive.
I sat on the 54 cm which should be far too small but felt fine.

The trip certainly offered up more questions than answers, the quest continues.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here