Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Best Brighton born and Bred musician

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If we're talking people who live here rather than born and bred, Dave Gilmour of popular beat combo Pink Floyd, fits the bill.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Leo Sayer Shoreham
Dave Courtney (Songwriter) Hove
Bob Weston (Fleetwood Mac) Lived in Hove for Looooong time
The late great, Garry Moore. Lived in Hove

I know that lived in is not the criteria you were looking for but I feel as adopted Brightonians they deserved a mention.

A Joke De Jour

A Drummer and Bass Player were fighting on the studio floor, when the Singer arrived.
" Lads, Lads what are you fighting for we're all in the same band, we're all friends here."
The Bass Player replies, "He detuned one of my strings."
"That's no reason for fistycuffs, just retune it." says the Singer.
"I would" said the Bassist,
"But he wont tell me which one."

TADA!

Brilliant!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I dont doubt that but my old Uncle Jack was a drummer and always said it was so easy and natural and I have always stuck with that. It probably was to him but I have never tried it and would never knock anybody who does play the drums. Perhaps that attitude explains why Ringo always seemed to be in the shadows of the other 3 Beatles.

As John Lennon jokingly(?) replied when asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world: "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".

I have always wanted to play the drums, often find that the drumming/percussion can be a major reason why I like a track or a song and am in awe of a really gifted drummer - it's not all crash bang wallop.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If we're talking people who live here rather than born and bred, Dave Gilmour of popular beat combo Pink Floyd, fits the bill.

I was just about to post the EXACT same thing. Wipes the floor with so many.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Born at the Sussex County Hospital in Brighton but dont think he was raised here as he became an ardent Aston Villa fan for some reason.

51b-CjqS0JL._SY355_.jpg

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I think Nick Cave is the best local songwriter...but he probably doesn't meet the criteria as Melbourne is a bit too far down south.

I thought I heard that Nick Cave moved away from the area following the death of his son.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Think born & bred in BN for me would be Simon Green .. like much of what he's done under the moniker Bonobo, bringing together some fine musicians and vocalists.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Don't think I've seen him mentioned but Luke Creswell ( Stomp ) was born and bred in Brighton.
Hasn't done too bad for a drummer. :)

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I'd have to say Interlight. They're headlining the Sounds from The City gig tonight at One Church. All Brighton born and bred. One member may or may not be related to me...

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I'd have to say Interlight. They're headlining the Sounds from The City gig tonight at One Church. All Brighton born and bred. One member may or may not be related to me...

. 'One member may or may not be related to me'.............candidate for Jeremy Kyle ?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Born in London but a true Brightonian, Fatboy Slim

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
this is too good to leave out. Always thought he was born in Glasgow and lived in Shoreham for a bit, but actually born in New Malden (same as my mum) and lived in Hastings. At the time of this video he was living above the pub and sleeping on a pool table :lolol:

https://youtu.be/WVjEERe1UqU

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here