Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest v Albion moved to Monday 11th April - live on Sky

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm usually pretty meh about this, part of life etc but it is getting ridiculous now. Surely even Tony Bloom would rather 3000+ fans travelling to fill the away end in a crucial game to cheer the boys on, than 600 on a Monday night ?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No, without Tony Bloom there wouldn't be a shiny new Amex, or state of the art training complex, and maybe, a much more inferior team.

Do you think that TB or anyone else would pump the fat end of £120m into a football club if there wasn't the riches that the TV deals provides? Don't get me wrong, I hugely appreciate what TB has done and I do feel he, and his family, would still support the club but very few people would pump that sort of money into a venture unless there was a good chance of a resonable return on their investment. Do you think The Glaziers, and the Far east syndicates would have any interest without the riches the TV deal supplies? Love them or hate them Sky shape football in the country.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Another Saturday "matchday experience" ruined! I always look forward to the Forest trip

But hey, we're only the fans. We no longer matter at all.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The roads covering the Brighton Marathon will start having barriers erected, park & ride organised from Saturday afternoon, so playing on Saturday would delay that considerably.

The majority of the route could still be set up with a game going on, surely? It's not like it's anywhere near the AMEX.

It seems like a pretty lame excuse to me.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The majority of the route could still be set up with a game going on, surely? It's not like it's anywhere near the AMEX.

Barber loves a Friday evening game, probably didnt need much persuading to move this one.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I doubt very much that it is the clubs decision. I suspect the local authority and Police have a hand in the decision. If so, and bearing in mind the planning application on the table, would the club want to kick up a fuss?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

We could have requested an away game but we'd already used our's for the egg chasing. :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The thinking goes that if you could watch, say, Man Utd v Arsenal on TV at 3pm on Saturday, you might be less inclined to actually go and watch your local team.

The blanket Sat 3pm ban is to protect smaller clubs and live football.

This has been the argument for decades. Does it hold any water these days? Is there any evidence this was, or still is, the case?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Another day in. I'm still monumentally pissed off about this (as I've now wasted £45 on a train ticket). Yes, I know it's the risk you take, to a degree, when booking tickets. But the alternative is waiting another couple of weeks and discovering train fares have increased by 50%. That's why people book early. I appreciate Sky (*******s) want to select the most important games to show, but I'm sorry, there should be an absolutely minimum period of 8 weeks before a match where they can do that. It's just taking the piss out of fans, again.

The team would have been supported- I am confident- by two & a half, maybe three thousand fans at Forest, if this had remained on the Saturday. It's always a popular trip. Instead, we'll be lucky to reach a thousand, on a Monday night, promotion race or not. What does that do to the players? Surely running out to three thousand cheering away fans is more likely to positively impact on the team than 900 or so. I get that the club want the money (though God knows, that £30k we apparently get for it will barely pay Knockaert's wages for a week and a half, so in the grand scheme of things, it's peanuts).

I'm totally fed up with SkySports and their **** You attitude to supporters. We don't count any more. No, it's not the Albion's decision, but I do feel quite strongly that they should have made some sort of statement acknowledging what a pain in the arse, not to mention a financial hardship, this has been to a number of supporters. Whereas the £30k fee from Sky is peanuts to a Championship side. I note other clubs have made some sort of token gesture to their supporters in similar situations, but nothing doing by the Albion, clearly. Instead, they've kept quiet, and the only communication we've seen this week have been ones urging us to buy more shirts for MK Dons, buy more seats for the Sheffield Wednesday game, and buy more season tickets.

#Together, my arse.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Another day in. I'm still monumentally pissed off about this (as I've now wasted £45 on a train ticket). Yes, I know it's the risk you take, to a degree, when booking tickets. But the alternative is waiting another couple of weeks and discovering train fares have increased by 50%. That's why people book early. I appreciate Sky (*******s) want to select the most important games to show, but I'm sorry, there should be an absolutely minimum period of 8 weeks before a match where they can do that. It's just taking the piss out of fans, again.

The team would have been supported- I am confident- by two & a half, maybe three thousand fans at Forest, if this had remained on the Saturday. It's always a popular trip. Instead, we'll be lucky to reach a thousand, on a Monday night, promotion race or not. What does that do to the players? Surely running out to three thousand cheering away fans is more likely to positively impact on the team than 900 or so. I get that the club want the money (though God knows, that £30k we apparently get for it will barely pay Knockaert's wages for a week and a half, so in the grand scheme of things, it's peanuts).

I'm totally fed up with SkySports and their **** You attitude to supporters. We don't count any more. No, it's not the Albion's decision, but I do feel quite strongly that they should have made some sort of statement acknowledging what a pain in the arse, not to mention a financial hardship, this has been to a number of supporters. Whereas the £30k fee from Sky is peanuts to a Championship side. I note other clubs have made some sort of token gesture to their supporters in similar situations, but nothing doing by the Albion, clearly. Instead, they've kept quiet, and the only communication we've seen this week have been ones urging us to buy more shirts for MK Dons, buy more seats for the Sheffield Wednesday game, and buy more season tickets.

#Together, my arse.

I hope you've forwarded a copy of this to Barber.

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008

#Together, my arse.

Spot on

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Paul Barber wrote a (long-winded) article in the Argus last week which was basically saying "thanks for the reacharound Sky". This was similar to the article he wrote on the club website a few weeks, basically a load of flannel, spin and BS. Still, there's always the Porcshe Performance of the Month email to look forward to :facepalm:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I note other clubs have made some sort of token gesture to their supporters in similar situations, but nothing doing by the Albion, clearly.

You mean Boro? That's because it was just 17 days notice - less than the minimum agreed between the FL and Sky.

Anyone else?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

#Together, my arse.

I believe it's 10k for the away side

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Paul Barber wrote a (long-winded) article in the Argus last week which was basically saying "thanks for the reacharound Sky". This was similar to the article he wrote on the club website a few weeks, basically a load of flannel, spin and BS. Still, there's always the Porcshe Performance of the Month email to look forward to :facepalm:

If this is Barber's view (and i don't doubt it is) then it is short-sighted as well as money-grabbing. The away support,as edna points out, could be critical in helping us get a result at Forest, as it famously did 2 years ago.

Why not spend the £30k in subsidising 20 coaches (1k fans) at £30/per head? It might just be the best investment of the season. I know the coach doesn't suit everyone but it gets you home the same night which isn't possible by train.

How about it [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] ? #Together? Or is this just facile marketing? Prove it isn't.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here