Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Osborne " we're are all in it together " Budget

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Osborne " we're are all in it together " Budget

What do you want to see and what would you do to get this once great country going again ?

Outline your budget and the reasons behind it.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Taxbreaks for the rich.

Oh.

That's what we're getting.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Stamp Duty phasing.

None to £ 250000.
1% £ 250000 - £ 500000
3% over £ 500000 but only pro rata, ie £ 250000 still at 1%
5% over £ 1 000 000 - on the whole amount

To get the lower bands and middle bands moving and the property market out of stagnation. The country needs a healthy property market whether we like it or not.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tax credits for employing a butler

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lower the tax thresholds and cancel the fuel surcharge.

dont you mean raise the thresholds? i do expect to see a large increase of the basic rate allowance as its both Liberal and Tory policy, a massive vote winner and will help growth. i wouldnt expect anything more than no increase in fuel duty. interesting piece i read recently said last autumn was the first time revenues from fuel dropped, so its reached the limit of its elasticity. ciggies to up massivly. drink a nominal amount.

expect a cut on corporation tax and state backing for small/medium businesses to raise bonds and rule changes on what pensions can invest in, allowing them to buy wider range of bonds. he has £10b surplus on the deficit reduction program so expect a few rabbits pulled. announcement when 50p tax rate will end to appease backbenchers, but it'll stay for now to wrong foot Labour. its a silly political football, but like the Welsh yesturday, Osborne will just keep hold of it to run the clock down and prevent the opposition scoring.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Cigarettes up 70p a packet.
Scrap Road Fund License and add it to the cost to fuel - it would mean those that use pay.
Hold fuel tax itself.
Agree with US's Stamp Duty idea but would add an extra band of 10% for properties of £10m+.
Second home tax of £5k per year.
Derelict building tax of 10% of value per year. If the owners can't be traced then local authority can automatically take possession after a year.
Tax on aviation fuel.
Swimming pool tax ( for private ones only ) of £1k a year.
Increase the personal allowance.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cigarettes up 70p a packet.
Scrap Road Fund License and add it to the cost to fuel - it would mean those that use pay.
Hold fuel tax itself.
Agree with US's Stamp Duty idea but would add an extra band of 10% for properties of £10m+.
Second home tax of £5k per year.
Derelict building tax of 10% of value per year. If the owners can't be traced then local authority can automatically take possession after a year.
Tax on aviation fuel.
Increase the personal allowance.

Cigarettes are an easy target. Why not put them up to £ 15 a packet as people will still buy them to the extent of not eating as it is an addiction ? Rather than the tedious bashing of smokers now I would rather smoking is made illegal. The trouble is , despite all the health nazi's being completely obssessed with this subject , they will never be banned as the government makes too much money from smokers.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Rather than a swimming pool tax or the like (which they would already be paying for with water bills), I would suggest a tax rate based on vacant bedrooms. This would encourage lodging for smaller homes, or simply increased tax for the rich.

But the money for water bills goes to private water companies NOT the treasury. Vacant bedrooms would be very hard to monitor - what if a bedroom was vacant 50% of the time and how do you monitor that ? What about very large houses with fewer bedrooms - they would avoid some tax. What about retired couples that have vacant bedrooms because their children have left home - should they effectively have to sell up because of the vacant bedroom tax ? What about people like me that have their children to stay every other weekend due to divorce - I can hardly rent out their bedrooms can I ? Would people like me have to pay this vacant bedroom tax.

At least with a swimming pool tax it's easy - do you have one or not ? If you don't like or can't afford the tax then fill it in.

1066gull

-Cancel and revert all above inflation fuel rises since the last general election
-Tax on high street bookmakers
-National id smart card 'gambling' tax on punters winnings - about time they got hit like us smokers
-Tax threshold at 10k from 8.1k
-Rail fares to be decided on a 'per mile' and 'speed' basis

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
Scrap VAT on all second hand vans allowing more entreprenuial activity amongst the newly made redundant, and the long term unemployed with few financial resoures.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stamp Duty phasing.

None to £ 250000.
1% £ 250000 - £ 500000
3% over £ 500000 but only pro rata, ie £ 250000 still at 1%
5% over £ 1 000 000 - on the whole amount
5% over £ 1 000 000 - on the whole amount? And their first born child surely.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
5% over £ 1 000 000 - on the whole amount? And their first born child surely.

As it is now. A lot of the purchases over £ 1m are from foreigners, Chinese, Indian , Russian so lets get some dosh out of them, they can afford it.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

i know where you are going with that, buts not the answer - those buildings will come down sharpish, which might be counter-productive, and nothing done with the land. better to empower local government to compulsory purchase and develop (using massive council house reciepts or auction to active developers) neglected property and urban land. outside of scope for the budget.

now thats pure envy tax. why tax swimming pools? i knew a farmer family that had a pool, loads of space so built one cheaply. likewise my Gran used to have a small pool (glorified paddling pool), installed and maintained for very little. they are no indicator of wealth. how about a large garden tax or a summer house tax, maybe a double garage tax or a herringbone brick driveway tax?

Dandyman

In London village.
Increase the top level of tax, end the charity status of Private schools, introduce a land tax, increase tax relief on pensions and research & development projects, cut the rate of VAT.

None of which Gideon will do, of course.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
...increase tax relief on pensions

you mean reduce the relief shirley? there's big call to remove the 40% allowance for higher rate payers, which i wouldnt be surprised comes up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here