Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious question re holidays

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I love it when it's roasting hot. Don't worry about how to keep cool, that'll just make it feel worse, follow the basics.

Get in the pool or sea frequently.
Wear a hat at all times in the sun.
Drink lots of water.
Sit or lie in the shade at least as much as you go in the sun.
Wear a hat.
Use airconned bars and restaurants.
Use a fan
Walk slowly wherever you need to go, and wear a hat.

Have a sleep for a couple of hours in the middle of the day. There's a good reason those Mediterranean types go out to eat late, it's cooler for a start, plus they've had a kip during the hottest part of the day.

Oh, and wear a hat, it really makes a difference I promise you.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I love it when it's roasting hot. Don't worry about how to keep cool, that'll just make it feel worse, follow the basics.

Get in the pool or sea frequently.
Wear a hat at all times in the sun.
Drink lots of water.
Sit or lie in the shade at least as much as you go in the sun.
Wear a hat.
Use airconned bars and restaurants.
Use a fan
Walk slowly wherever you need to go, and wear a hat.

Have a sleep for a couple of hours in the middle of the day. There's a good reason those Mediterranean types go out to eat late, it's cooler for a start, plus they've had a kip during the hottest part of the day.

Oh, and wear a hat, it really makes a difference I promise you.

You say that but I am bald and I just get too hot and sweat if I wear a hat...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Seariously, get a different hat, get a decent hat. you,can even get them with SPF ratings.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Air con

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
You do get used to the heat, but if you are on holiday don't lay in bed 'till late, the best time for getting things done in the cool is early morning. Drink loads of water, not beer! In and out of the pool as often as possible, even if the pool feels warm (ours is 32c at the moment) it does cool your whole bodily core. Do remember the hottest period of the day in southern Europe is 1600 - 1800hrs. as the ground reflects back the stored heat from the day, adding to the suns heat. Eat little, tapas style - large meals make it worse.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

IMG_0797.JPG

Try a knotted hanky.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We've got a family apartment in Spain and it's usually 35-40c in summer there, with coolest it gets is about 23c at night. Just end up slipping in local times; start lunch at 2pm, rest up after lunch in shade. Dinner starts at 10pm at earliest. Open windows during the day but close shutters/ blinds to keep sun out. Get in the sea/pool a lot to cool off.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This happened when we were in Corfu, two weeks of 44C-48C. We just stayed out of the sun, kept drinking and made the most of the mornings and evenings. The worst was trying to sleep. no air conditioning in our hotel just ceiling fans. Still came home more tanned than I'd ever been in my life!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Drink masses of beer, slip into a state of unconsciousness and you'll wet yourself, thus helping you stay cool throughout the night.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Smother yourself Factor 50 then get Mrs Ovidius to draw a huge penis shape on your back with her finger.

It won't help with the heat but it is something to do.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Have you ever been on holiday in a heat wave in Europe, or anywhere for that matter.

This us not a look at me thread, but I am genuinely interested how you kept cool.

We are on kefalonia and we arrived Sunday and so far we have had 5 days of 36C minimum and evening temps around the same...today was 49C ...I kid you not! It is like living in a fan oven. They keep putting out warnings on the TVs and radio about checking on old folk and animals and to stay out of the mid day sun...but it keeps getting hotter till about 8 on an evening

I know the weather has not been brilliant back home but it's just plain mad over here , and seemly it is the same all over Southern Europe.

Drinking beer doesn't help and we have got through about 5 litres of water a day so far.

I know you musnt complain but we are so not used to this type of heat.

I'm surprised that people are surprised that Greek Islands can be 40 degrees plus in August. I feel for you as I'm not a heat person myself and would just die in that weather. But I wouldn't ever go to that part of the Med in Aug, I know it's even hottter than normal. But it's often pretty close to that. Kefelonia is lovely in late Sept btw, sorry that doesn't help at the mo I know but if you ever want to go back...? Must be pretty miserable just trying to basically survive as a holiday, sort of like going away with Bear Grills. What a nightmare, hope you manage to have some fun in the sun. But yes keep drinking lots of water, sunstroke is very serious and the Emergency Services will have their hands full with lots of people getting into such trouble. Just not worth the risk.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
sunstroke is very serious and the Emergency Services will have their hands full with lots of people getting into such trouble

99.9% of them British tourists....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can remember playing bowls in Sharm el Sheikh in mid-afternoon 40 degrees against a Plymouth fan, felt like you could cut the air with a knife. We got absolutely off our tits as the waiters kept bringing beers and cocktails out to us. My god we got fried.

Still got him on Facebook actually. I must congratulate him on his teams ascendency, as they were on the brink of being wound up then (this must've been summer 2011 as we were about to kick off at the Amex).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
99.9% of them British tourists....

More than likely. We've all seen the ginger geordie with the lobster thermidor skin that makes you ever so quietly say 'ouch' out loud as you pass them in the islands 'old town' on route to finding a place to eat. People are doubling their risk of cancer just by being careless for a few hours.

I stick Chernobyl factor on daily April to Sept as per dermatologists instructions albeit the damage was done mostly during the 70s when parents practically took a pack of lard to the beach as sun protection. Christ I can still remember the pain of trying to get into Nylon tshirts with red raw skin. Don't blame parents, no one knew much back then. But today there's no excuses. And you're an idiot, bit like smokers, if you ignore the warnings. Under 25s especially really need to heed the advice, something about our culture that is so casual about sun dangers compared to eg NZ or Oz where message has got through to those with antipodean heritage.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Who goes on holiday in August with the football season just days away, and to a Greek island where its bound to be hot in August.

Unless your accommodation has air conditioning you are doomed to a holiday which is uncomfortable and tiring due to the heat.

Stay indoors between 11 and 4, a nap during this time would be good.
Drink water on a regular basis
Stay in the shade (if there is any)
Wear loose fitting clothing, shirts with long sleeves are good as well as baggy trousers, preferably in white or other reflective colours
Wear a hat at all times, even when in the pool or sea
No fast exercise, so put your dancing shoes away and in the evening just sit and relax

Alternatively dress up as Lawrence of Arabia in full Arab gear, jump on a camel, go hut hut and wander across the sand, remembering to only drink one cup of water during the day. The trick is of course not to fall asleep on the camel. With strong will power you will be able to take Aqaba by land.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have you ever been on holiday in a heat wave in Europe, or anywhere for that matter.

This us not a look at me thread, but I am genuinely interested how you kept cool.

We are on kefalonia and we arrived Sunday and so far we have had 5 days of 36C minimum and evening temps around the same...today was 49C ...I kid you not! It is like living in a fan oven. They keep putting out warnings on the TVs and radio about checking on old folk and animals and to stay out of the mid day sun...but it keeps getting hotter till about 8 on an evening

I know the weather has not been brilliant back home but it's just plain mad over here , and seemly it is the same all over Southern Europe.

Drinking beer doesn't help and we have got through about 5 litres of water a day so far.

I know you musnt complain but we are so not used to this type of heat.

Holiday in Wales, problem solved.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
You lot have it easy, I live here in Spain. Air con is a blessing and I often seek out restaurants that have it during the day.
Just be half sensible and don’t get rat faced and fall asleep on the beach. It’s not rocket science and avoid 2 - 5 in the sun by having a siesta like the locals.
Mind you I have lived here for 15 years and hardly have a tan so maybe not the best person to ask!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here