Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Declining journalism/editing standards on BBC website...

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I have also noticed this over the last few years - as you indicate, the errors are so obvious you can't not notice. More recently the click bait headlines have also been creeping in. The BBC should be doing much better.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've noticed, more and more, H being pronounced Haitch, on tv. I find incredibly irritating as well as being incorrect.

Time to put it behind you and bury the haitchet.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
It has been going on for a while. The BBC insist on spelling NASA as Nasa. Even after they have been informed by NASA that they are wrong. :facepalm::lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Time to pull your stockings up, Auntie.

Indeed. The Doris on 5Live this morning commented: "The painting, BELIEVED to have been painted by Leonardo Da Vinci,..." as if anyone would fork out $400mill if they weren't 100% sure it was his work, i.e "The $200mill footballer, BELIEVED to be Neymar..."

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Argus now is a totally different entity from the papers that served the area for over a century until very recently.

Today it comprises half a dozen shit stirrers lazily sitting behind their Roberts Street desks, churning out predictable grenades all day, to attract click bait. Always the same binary issues to stir up anger and division:

Cyclist vs driver
Everyone vs Greens
Everyone vs Tories
Everyone vs local Labour administration
Nimbies vs any change
Jealous vs property developers

With the same 20 users in virtual warfare with their ensuing posts.

The only saving grace is that some of the comments are witty.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It has been going on for a while. The BBC insist on spelling NASA as Nasa. Even after they have been informed by NASA that they are wrong. :facepalm::lolol:

I guess NASA should be grateful that at least the BBC are consistently wrong.

Pity the South African Development Committee which is abbreviated as Sadc here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42006777 and as SADC here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05g7mgw Just to round it off, leaving no options untouched, it's both SADC and Sadc in the same article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-41173999

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Indeed. The Doris on 5Live this morning commented: "The painting, BELIEVED to have been painted by Leonardo Da Vinci,..." as if anyone would fork out $400mill if they weren't 100% sure it was his work, i.e "The $200mill footballer, BELIEVED to be Neymar..."

Nothing wrong with this. Until fairly recently it was BELIEVED to be painted by one of Leonardo's assisstants so whilst it is highly likely that it was painted by LdV it is nowhere near 100% certain. Bit easier to check whether you have bought a real Neymar...

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
There is a lost generation out there who went to school during a politically correct era in which it was reckoned that spelling and grammar did not matter as long as the meaning was apparent. As a consequence, spelling and grammar were not taught. Many of those who were thus "uneducated" are themselves now teachers and cannot pass on knowledge that they do not have. Bad spelling and grammar are now, sadly, self perpetuating.

Self-perpetuating.

Q.E.D.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
One of the city's most admired primary schools sent a note out to parents this week about its 'spelling stratagy'.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Maybe you did better than you think.

Question 2 is wrong.

I threw the ball further than John.
The rain caused further flooding in the region.
My house is further from the station.
All of the above are correct. In British English, further and farther can both be used in relation to distance.

Question 4 is also wrong.

The quiz that tested grammar knowledge was very difficult.
The quiz which tested grammar knowledge was very difficult.
The quiz, which was very difficult, tested grammar knowledge.

All of these are correct. Which or that can be used to refer to things in a defining relative clause (like the first two sentences). Which can be used in a non-defining clause.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here