Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transport to/from The Amex

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Putting together an email to PB , any more thoughts or suggestions?

It’s probably been mentioned but why is exiting the Bridge car park worse than last season ..I don’t except the excuse that it’s because it’s near to capacity..that happened enough times last season and yet it wasn’t this bad ..more police supervision of traffic after exiting the tunnel?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
There are already more cyclists than there are official cycle racks. The double racks you posted like they have at Brighton and Hove stations are really good. They are a lot more secure than the ones you can only lock one wheel into which half the racks at the stadium are. The reason why they are terrible is because a large number of bikes have quick release wheels and you need to lock the frame not the wheel. The citys Boris bikes seem to have hit off well so far and that could also be another option as they are situated in the university car parks and are an option rather than a bus. For the majority of fans it wont be an option but i think the club could easily encourage a few hundred more to take the cycle option if it were more spaces to lock up securely. Maybe wishful thinking though.

Thanks for the feedback. So if the club improved the number and quality of cycle storage spaces it might actually be worthwhile. Funnily enough I had a look at the bike hire website earlier. There are only 20 racks on the University of Sussex campus and 13 on the University of Brighton at present, but I guess if the scheme gets more popular then this could increase.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I also meant to add fastest by car you cant actualy cycle the route you used since the bypass is sans cycles which I think the point of within 10 miles was about. So BG wasn far off i can let a mile fly.

I presume the list of supporters living within 10 miles is from Falmer, not Brighton. It comes from a document submitted with one of the stadium planning applications and I think it was part of a transport assessment, so Falmer seems more likely to me. Kind of wish I hadn't posted it now though as it's diverted the thread somewhat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I presume the list of supporters living within 10 miles is from Falmer, not Brighton. It comes from a document submitted with one of the stadium planning applications and I think it was part of a transport assessment, so Falmer seems more likely to me. Kind of wish I hadn't posted it now though as it's diverted the thread somewhat.

I'm pleased you did, an interesting titbit of knowledge.
You can't second guess how a poster who is rarely wrong can and will derail a thread, it would seem even the Remembrance thread isn't above his meddling.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I don't think there's anything stopping you taking a cycle onto the bypass: you'd have to be some kind of nutter to want to do it, but it's an A road not a motorway.

Its clearly signposted you arent allowed to cycle it even if you were nutty enough to try and yes its not a motorway. Its the tunnel you cant go through.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Its clearly signposted you arent allowed to cycle it even if you were nutty enough to try and yes its not a motorway. Its the tunnel you cant go through.

I live very near the Hollingbury roundabout and go past the slip road leading to the by-pass several times a week, I can assure you that there's no sign saying no cycles.

It's clearly not advisable - I only ever seen one cyclist on the by-pass and remember remarking that he must have had a death wish - but there's nothing stopping a cyclist going on it. But yes, they can't use the Southwick tunnel, that does say no cyclists.

There's more information here

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I live very near the Hollingbury roundabout and go past the slip road leading to the by-pass several times a week, I can assure you that there's no sign saying no cycles.

It's clearly not advisable - I only ever seen one cyclist on the by-pass and remember remarking that he must have had a death wish - but there's nothing stopping a cyclist going on it. But yes, they can't use the Southwick tunnel, that does say no cyclists.

There's more information here
I can assure you that before the tunnel it tells you to exit the road and the tunnel was part of his route. I have seen one going through the tunnel ...once mad! Edit to add probably why you dont see cyclists on it apart from the danger is that is more hilly its longer as well.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It’s probably been mentioned but why is exiting the Bridge car park worse than last season ..I don’t except the excuse that it’s because it’s near to capacity..that happened enough times last season and yet it wasn’t this bad ..more police supervision of traffic after exiting the tunnel?

I would imagine our attendances are pretty near the tickets sold this year. Last year we were maybe getting 28000 but were probably a few thousand less at times. Coupled with fewer people leaving earlier, the bottleneck at the bridge is only going to get worse. I honestly don't mind and fully expect a wait. But a wait of nearly 2 hours is too long in my book.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It can take a 12 coach which is the longest southern run

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Whenever I've used the train they've had a four coach train on, surely for match days you'd run the most capacity you could?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whenever I've used the train they've had a four coach train on, surely for match days you'd run the most capacity you could?

Whenever I've got the train to matches it has always been a 12 coach. Either you've been unlucky or I've been lucky. Not sure which.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007

what i gleem form that data, the biggest group (BN1 8 1566 people) my area (patcham) does not have a direct link to the stadium

I have tried all methods to the Amex

walked to the mill hill P&R
taxi
drove
lift
pub bus
1 a day No 5 bus that goes on to the university
but what i generally do, is the bus to london road station & then train in
there used to be the Special buses - but i have not seen them for a couple of years

if there were more direct buses i would not need to clog -up the already busy trains

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Probably been said already but one thing gets on my manboobs is when waiting to travel east after a match , the platform stewards herd everyone as far down toward lewes as they can , fair enough but what happens is if its a 12-8 car train the carriages at the back are pretty much empty leaving hundreds still queuing when they could be on their way , simple thing but easily corrected .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Whenever I've got the train to matches it has always been a 12 coach. Either you've been unlucky or I've been lucky. Not sure which.

To be fair only used the train in the first couple of seasons and very occasionally since, just see that it's a constant issue for those using the train.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
what i gleem form that data, the biggest group (BN1 8 1566 people) my area (patcham) does not have a direct link to the stadium

taxi
drove
lift
pub bus
there used to be the Special buses - but i have not seen them for a couple of years

if there were more direct buses i would not need to clog -up the already busy trains

You are the second person to mention this. So extending the 5 to the universities on match days (5B is it?) might be a popular move. I suppose the club might be disinclined to ask B&H buses do this if they thought it would add to their already huge travel expenditure, but of course some people who would use this service are already using the existing services via a more convoluted route then it might be affordable.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

taxi
drove
lift
pub bus

It can't be too much trouble surely, just to jump on any bus to St.Peter's Church, then scamper around to the other side of the Church, and jump on a 25, 25X, 28, or 29 to then stadium. No clogging up of trains that way!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You are the second person to mention this. So extending the 5 to the universities on match days (5B is it?) might be a popular move. I suppose the club might be disinclined to ask B&H buses do this if they thought it would add to their already huge travel expenditure, but of course some people who would use this service are already using the existing services via a more convoluted route then it might be affordable.

I take your point, but the poster only needs to make one quick change of buses anyway, as per my earlier post. So l don't think it makes too much difference anyway.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It can't be too much trouble surely, just to jump on any bus to St.Peter's Church, then scamper around to the other side of the Church, and jump on a 25, 25X, 28, or 29 to then stadium. No clogging up of trains that way!

I'd advise going all the way to Old Steine, just because it slightly increases your chances of getting the bus.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'd advise going all the way to Old Steine, just because it slightly increases your chances of getting the bus.

If time is an issue, and it is getting closer to kick off time, then yes so would I. Although in my experience with so many buses on a variety of routes going to thev Amex, it hasn't been a problem for me, as l often travel that way too.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
If time is an issue, and it is getting closer to kick off time, then yes so would I. Although in my experience with so many buses on a variety of routes going to thev Amex, it hasn't been a problem for me, as l often travel that way too.

I've found the busses are a bit of a pain on Sundays, as they don't seem to run a lot. Normal method now is to get a 49 and walk the last bit up via Bridge Car Park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here