Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Introduced to The Electric Grape in Queens Road, when only about 17 years old, by older friends. A tiny place. Played brilliant music by The The, Altered Images, early OMD, Josef K, Cocteau Twins, synth pop. Ice cold bottled lagers. Pretty new wave female clientele.

Used to like the Grape. Biggest memory for me was when some young women came up to me and asked me out - that was very unusual in those days (certainly the only time it ever happened to me). The downside of the place was that there were no decent beers but it did play some great music.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Where was the Top Rank (suite) ? Anyone remember it ?

It was by the odeon cinema, used to go on a Tuesday night when it was open to under 18's when I was about 12 or 13. It finish at 11pm and did not serve alcohol unless you went on the top floor, which was for over 18's only.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Upper North Street, west of the dole office and by Fred's barbers.

The Windmill was always popular.

Annie Nightingale lived in the Montpelier Road area.

The Montpelier pub on the other side of the road but nearer to Furze Hill was good in the 80's. Very popular, the landlord employed the old trick of having attractive bar maids. (Bar tenders in PC speak).

She lived on Montpelier Road next door but 1 to my Dad.

It was by the odeon cinema, used to go on a Tuesday night when it was open to under 18's when I was about 12 or 13. It finish at 11pm and did not serve alcohol unless you went on the top floor, which was for over 18's only.

Was crammed with oversea students and as you say bouncers on the stairs to the bars,great nights there 77ish. Started drinking on the train from HH about 6pm would meet the Brighton guys in the william tell then another in the queen anne into the top rank between 8-9 then legging back to the station for last train 11.12! FFS! The boys dont go out till 11pm now:facepalm:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Used to like the Grape. Biggest memory for me was when some young women came up to me and asked me out - that was very unusual in those days (certainly the only time it ever happened to me). The downside of the place was that there were no decent beers but it did play some great music.

Similar events and memories for me, lovely times.

I was always into lager over real ale / bitter, so I was fine. Hic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was crammed with oversea students and as you say bouncers on the stairs to the bars,great nights there 77ish. Started drinking on the train from HH about 6pm would meet the Brighton guys in the william tell then another in the queen anne into the top rank between 8-9 then legging back to the station for last train 11.12! FFS! The boys dont go out till 11pm now:facepalm:

Tuesdays were legendary at the Top Rank Suite over a couple of decades. Frequented by pretty Danes and Swedes, literally violently hated by Brighton's 'ladies'. The green eyes monster.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tuesdays were legendary at the Top Rank Suite over a couple of decades. Frequented by pretty Danes and Swedes, literally violently hated by Brighton's 'ladies'. The green eyes monster.

Some of the best nights ever with free Scandinavian shag guaranteed on the beach afterwards.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I heard you enjoyed having a some strapping NORDIC gods on the the PEBBLES

I'm not Nordic Ernest but I distinctly remember taking you up the tradesman's near the black rock swimming pools. The summer of 69 no less. We were like Di Caprio and Wine-slut. The wind blowing through your pubic hair(Maurice Micklewhite-esque). Fond memories.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bit late to the thread....memories a bit hazy remember my sister used to go to Sherrys(?) in West Street......i frequented The Top Rank (Suite?) ...remember seeing a few gigs there ...Nazareth was one....then clubs like Birds Nest etc ...various pubs in The lanes like Druids Head (?)...all too long ago

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Top Rank Suite: At 15 years old nonchalantly walking past the bouncer's standing on the stairs and waiting to get my collar felt, the controlled exhilaration as I walked to the bar without looking back and seeing my mates had made it too, happy days indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here