Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kayak and Baldock - when back?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did they say for what?

I'd also be interested to know when the club were aware that Sidwell needed a back operation.

Calf injury. I googled it and found at least four press references to Sam Baldock, calf surgery, not just the Argus.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Calf injury. I googled it and found at least four press references to Sam Baldock, calf surgery, not just the Argus.

I followed your lead and am shocked to see he has been back in part training since 09 August, can't be long now then. I now know " a little longer" means in excess of two months in Hughton speak, good to know for the future :smile:

"Sam Baldock had surgery on his calf in the summer, and that's just the process of time really," said Hughton. "He's back into part training, but we're still expecting him to be out for a little while.

"He had to rest for a good period in the summer so everything was later. So we still expect that to be a little longer with Sam.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I followed your lead and am shocked to see he has been back in part training since 09 August, can't be long now then. I now know " a little longer" means in excess of two months in Hughton speak, good to know for the future :smile:

For someone so well versed in "Hughton speak" Icy, you do seem to miss a lot of what he says on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis about our current injuries. or as you like to describe them "injuries".

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
For someone so well versed in "Hughton speak" Icy, you do seem to miss a lot of what he says on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis about our current injuries. or as you like to describe them "injuries".

Sorry Chailey CH is so incredibly vague about injuries that I don't tend to take much notice of his updates. In my world "a little longer" is not more than two months, and let's be honest, there is absolutely no sign of a Baldock come back so it's likely to stretch to over three months. It would have been good to know he was going to be out for that long when he had surgery.

Maybe he was not saying much because our inability to land strikers would have seemed worse if we'd known Baldock was going to be out for a large chunk of the season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would love to see Baldock back pushing for a place but Kayal is to my mind way down the pecking order now and would struggle to make the bench and could join Skalak.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
except when you inexplicably seem to want more of them.

I wanted to know more because I was astounded that a calf injury could take so long to heal. Reading between the lines it was a torn calf muscle or worse which is slightly more than a calf injury.

If I had a heart attack I wouldn't say I'd just had some chest pains :smile::

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry Chailey CH is so incredibly vague about injuries that I don't tend to take much notice of his updates. In my world "a little longer" is not more than two months, and let's be honest, there is absolutely no sign of a Baldock come back so it's likely to stretch to over three months. It would have been good to know he was going to be out for that long when he had surgery.

Maybe he was not saying much because our inability to land strikers would have seemed worse if we'd known Baldock was going to be out for a large chunk of the season.

Did hear that Baldock is suffering as much mentally with the injuries as physically. Vicente-esque perhaps. Sometimes players after significant injuries just never feel right, or mentally don't recover. Could explain why we're not getting specific updates.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Did hear that Baldock is suffering as much mentally with the injuries as physically. Vicente-esque perhaps. Sometimes players after significant injuries just never feel right, or mentally don't recover. Could explain why we're not getting specific updates.

"Did hear that" - where ?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Bollox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I’ve not heard that but I understand that Stephens had the same during his recovery

Everything the medical team could test suggested he was in good shape and pain free yet he kept breaking down. I think there may have been some concern that he might not recover from it at all at one stage.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I’ve not heard that but I understand that Stephens had the same during his recovery

Everything the medical team could test suggested he was in good shape and pain free yet he kept breaking down. I think there may have been some concern that he might not recover from it at all at one stage.

Bollox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"Did hear that" - where ?

Had it been a source of any note from the club, or press, I would have referenced that. In saying 'did hear that', it was literally from hearing that from someone else who may well be talking bollox, but may well have not been. Happy for you to take it with a pinch of salt that an unqualified NSC post deserves.

Who knows, and I am certainly not ITK, so to speak, but it does ring true to some degree in where we are with Sam, and where he might be with his build up of injuries.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Had it been a source of any note from the club, or press, I would have referenced that. In saying 'did hear that', it was literally from hearing that from someone else who may well be talking bollox, but may well have not been. Happy for you to take it with a pinch of salt that an unqualified NSC post deserves.

Who knows, and I am certainly not ITK, so to speak, but it does ring true to some degree in where we are with Sam, and where he might be with his build up of injuries.

To summarise, there's been absolutely no adverse information on Baldock's pychological state.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I was having a hunt about Baldock and it was the 19th July the argus broke the story of his calf .

What I did find interesting is he was out Jan or Feb for a while again with calf injury , Baldock said himself he wasn't sure what causes it and suggested it may be a back injury which results ultimately in the calf flaring up .

It's clear he has had issues and he missed most the end of last season only to appear v Villa.

In hindsight we should of operated them as he would be back now . Or he should of gone under the knife immediately post Villa . Of course bound to be more to it but that's how it looks .

It's been well over 2 months now .

As mentioned . Even when back will he be good enough ? Will he stay fit? How much of a pre season will he need before match fit .
It just makes the fact we got no one in even more ridiculous with the Baldock situation on going .

Be lovely to get some positive news soon .

As for Kayal .... wasn't the player when he came back before . I'm fear for him . Really hope proves me wrong . Again if all this is disproven . Can he stay fit .

Frustrating , particularly relating to our absolute horror show in trying to get a striker for 4 months .

Barber can say what he like but facts are the facts .

Fingers crossed for some good news or any news soon !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the above makes sense to an extent, in that Baldock's way of playing requires him to be 100000% fit, as his game is based on pure dynamism and endless running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here