Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenneth Zohore

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Getting to that point where we will see his serious we are to stay in PL. without a doubt Transfer record will get smashed in order to get a striker in...( sad thing is, if we acted sooner, could have potentially saved millions!!)

Don't rule out a loan or two. Origi of Liverpool for example would be great on a season long loan (Klopp not averse to loaning him out).

If we got some class strikers by that route, that will be great.

Internationals won't want to be stuck bench warming in a pre WC season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pretty much as it is, this is just a repeated cycle of 'strikers are to expensive', but consistently said with an element of surprise.

I don't know what's more frustrating, the club engineering this exact same situation again, or Chailey reading this and starting the same bloody row.

How can the club possibly be surprised that the transfer market, that was in a bubble, overcooked and now hyper inflated has exploded on the exact same window income was raised by stupid %.
[MENTION=4009]forumwayseagull[/MENTION] nails it above.

It will happen, deals will be done, Tony will have to pay over the odds, but if he acted sooner, could have potentially saved millions!!

CH said on Saturday that it hasn't been fees, but inflated wage demands that's been the challenge.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly!
We were the first team promoted yet we're still looking when Huddersfield took an extra month to get promoted yet they've done all their business a while back.
Very disappointing by the club really

Hiddersfield signed 2 players last week.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Hiddersfield signed 2 players last week.

Yes, but made their key striker signing before we woke up to the fact they are expensive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Have some respect for the players that got us here in the first place. And if you think the club isn't prepared you are deeply misguided.

Sorry but that's naive. Football is a results business.

No one is denying what Hemed or anyone else for that matter has done over the last two seasons to get us to the Premier League, however it would be a huge shame after getting there we haven't invested in the right way to keep us there.

Let's face it, in every season since being promoted to the Championship we have always been a striker short. That's why we've signed some shocking dross on loan...see Obika, Paynter, Akpom. Even when we had Ulloa, we relied on him, Barnes and CMS and had to get in loans.

Middlesbrough were relegated last year because they didn't score enough goals and no amount of "respect" changed that.

We have always been notoriously poor at recruiting strikers and I was hoping this year that would change. Unfortunately it hasn't.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, but made their key striker signing before we woke up to the fact they are expensive...

He's had one season in ligue 1 , is 22 and cost a hefty £12m. Let's wait and see if that works out.

Wagner then rang CH and said blimey Chris - strikers are expensive this year aren't they.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pretty much as it is, this is just a repeated cycle of 'strikers are to expensive', but consistently said with an element of surprise.

It will happen, deals will be done, Tony will have to pay over the odds, but if he acted sooner, could have potentially saved millions!!

You make it sound like we had actual targets but failed to bid, or that we didn't bother seeking actual targets, or that the recruiters sat around looking balefully at each other all summer and saying 'now what'?

I'll wager none of this is true.

Also, where do you get this notion that every window the club announce (press release) their surprise at how expensive strikers are?

Also, even if there is 'surprise' (faux or otherwise) what has this to do with the actual ability of the club to recruit? I was surprised how warm it was yesterday, but that didn't stop me getting on with my business (and having a nice swim in the sea - fortunately nowhere near Birling Gap....).

Chill yer boots :bigwave:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You make it sound like we had actual targets but failed to bid, or that we didn't bother seeking actual targets, or that the recruiters sat around looking balefully at each other all summer and saying 'now what'?

I'll wager none of this is true.

Also, where do you get this notion that every window the club announce (press release) their surprise at how expensive strikers are?

Also, even if there is 'surprise' (faux or otherwise) what has this to do with the actual ability of the club to recruit? I was surprised how warm it was yesterday, but that didn't stop me getting on with my business (and having a nice swim in the sea - fortunately nowhere near Birling Gap....).

Chill yer boots :bigwave:

giphy.gif :cool:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We have always been notoriously poor at recruiting strikers.

Well not always. And not poor.

We bought Ulloa for £2m and he scored a fair few that got us to 2 play offs and then we made a £8m
Profit on him back when strikers didn't cost £50m a pop.

We paid buttons for Murray who scored 23 goals and helped us to the top division for first time on 33 years.

And Hemed (who we might make £7m profit on), Baldock, Zamora have all scored multiple goals getting us to promotion and play offs.

It's a shame that last seasons parade and success and gubbins was ruined in your eyes by the signing of Chuba Akpom. But yep. Tough crowd.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There will still be a few surprise moves unveiled this week that will make people say " I wouldnt have thought that". Lets hope we are 1 of the teams buying . I am begining to think that it looks more like Zohore than anybody else and although I dont want it would live with it and support him.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Well not always. And not poor.

We bought Ulloa for £2m and he scored a fair few that got us to 2 play offs and then we made a £8m
Profit on him back when strikers didn't cost £50m a pop.

We paid buttons for Murray who scored 23 goals and helped us to the top division for first time on 33 years.

And Hemed (who we might make £7m profit on), Baldock, Zamora have all scored multiple goals getting us to promotion and play offs.

It's a shame that last seasons parade and success and gubbins was ruined in your eyes by the signing of Chuba Akpom. But yep. Tough crowd.

All of what you say is true. Most people however are worried about the here and now and we do not have a premier league strikerforce in place whatever way you choose to defend the club. My overriding hope is that you are not on here on Friday morning telling us how hemed and Murray will be all we need this season.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
In fact hardly any club has finished their business and most are still looking for strikers.

Which makes are job that much harder. Whether other clubs are looking or not it's fair to say that having one striker only on Saturday probably cost us a crucial 2 extra points.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Which makes are job that much harder. Whether other clubs are looking or not it's fair to say that having one striker only on Saturday probably cost us a crucial 2 extra points.

Except lots of clubs want to sell as well and players want to move. .

As for Saturday. Yes.. But our 3 injuries ( brown, Murray, baldock) would have tested most clubs.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I do think the club should have done better in recruiting a striker.

1. We all know how hard it is, and how much a good striker costs. But we knew that back in April when we knew we were going up. So for it to take until late August before we had a deal done (Dwamena) is maddeningly slow (a bit like our current strikers). Yes it was good that Gross, Suttner etc were signed early, but the most glaring gap was not filled.

2. One of the posters above set out a convincing list of how every other club in our position had signed at least one striker by that stage. It can be done. Yes Huddersfield may have taken a risk on Mounie, but that's what you have to do. As many have pointed out here, sure-fire Premier League strikers are out of our price range so a bit of an educated gamble is inevitable.

3. We've heard a lot about the long-term transfer planning the club does. The lists prepared well before this season, the 'cluster' system etc etc. It appears to be a plan tthat isn't working for us at the moment.

4. The 'marathon not a sprint' argument is bollocks. Every single point will be vital if we want to stay up and to write off the first three games as ground we can make up later is insanely complacent. It's possible that a good striker, settled in with us and sharpened up during pre-season, could have made the difference at Watford and we'd have two more points than we do. Two points could be the difference between relegation or not.

I have no doubt the club is doing everything it can. My criticism is not of the effort but in what feels like a slightly complacent 'strategy'.

All that said, the faith is being well and truly kept where I am.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All of what you say is true. Most people however are worried about the here and now and we do not have a premier league strikerforce in place whatever way you choose to defend the club. My overriding hope is that you are not on here on Friday morning telling us how hemed and Murray will be all we need this season.

I'll save you the bother. I'll say it now.

We need 2 new strikers . We won't be able to rely on just Glenn Murray this season and if the bids are there, and we have a replacement lined up - we should sell Tomer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's easy to say that but as usual they'll be a load of other factors between now and May.

We ought to have 2 threads running throughout the season - 'what kept the Albion up' & 'what caused the Albion's relegation'.

They'll both be massive threads, until such time as one 'wins', but as it stands Saturday's result AT Watford could easily go in both threads.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'll save you the bother. I'll say it now.

We need 2 new strikers . We won't be able to rely on just Glenn Murray this season and if the bids are there, and we have a replacement lined up - we should sell Tomer.

Sums up where we stand and what we need.

TB must surely know that too, to give us the goals that might keep us in the only division that keeps the club financially viable. No doubt the club are on the case 24-7.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
He's had one season in ligue 1 , is 22 and cost a hefty £12m. Let's wait and see if that works out.

Wagner then rang CH and said blimey Chris - strikers are expensive this year aren't they.

And that £12 mill gamble is more of a gamble than the £13 million deal we were prepared to pay for Dwamena who played 6 months and 23 games for a Swiss league 1 side how?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here