Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton (the area), pretends to be a mixture of San Francisco and France.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Quote:
If you’re looking for a place by the sea that pretends to be a mixture of San Francisco and France, you’ve come to the right place.

Brighton has the truly unique and incredible selling point of being home to pockets of easy-to-identify clans. I won’t bore you with details of the homeless crack beggars (you can find these across the UK) or the chavs (these too are native to our isles and are not unusual). Instead, I will focus on the two main annoyances of Brighton.

The Trustafarians
These people come from England or Europe. They are generally aged under 35 and spend their time cycling around and pretending to work when in fact, they just get given money from their parents to exist. Sometimes they go on the dole, it gives them a bit of street cred and their money gets topped up by mum and dad anyway. They never leave Brighton town centre and they are completely obsessed with how wonderful Brighton is and in particular their amazing contribution to making Brighton so f*cking wonderful.

The faux golden oldies
This is what the trustafarians graduate to, w*nkers in their forties who haven’t really done much in life but use their parents money to buy huge f*ck off flats in Brighton town centre. Usually you will find that they look back on their younger years as if they made it (as a musician, an artist, a club promoter, anyone really) – in actual fact, they never really were anyone to begin with.

These twats try and live a green lifestyle while living in one of Britain’s biggest consumerist hubs. They will buy organic handcrafted bars of shampoo to help save the planet, but will use Veet for hair removal, aka chemicals they wash down the drains and straight out to the beach. They will wring their hands over climate change and global warming, but book tickets to India and consume vast amount of cocaine. They will be absolutely appalled at the migrant situation, but they won’t offer one of their many spare rooms to a refugee, and they will step over Brighton’s own homeless people. They will be scathing about the Tories, but will have gone to a private school themselves, and will be completely oblivious to the fact that the only reason they aren’t living in a council basement bedsit is because they were privileged enough to be born wealthy – aka while they may not agree with the Tory line in principle, their very lives are structured according to the Tory model of birth rather than effort dictating your fate.

Brighton is beautiful in terms of architecture and position between the sea and south downs, but you’ll soon find that the two groups I mention above will end up wearing you down through the sheer hypocrisy of their lifestyles and the knock on effect it has on the town (in terms of nightlife and house prices).

I found this on a site and found it quite enlightening.
http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/brighton-pretends-mixture-san-francisco-france.html

For [MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION] I thought he'd find this amusing.
http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/sidley-scumpit-of-the-world-bexhill.html

:cool:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Missing a paragraph on Craft Beers, Beards and Smashed Avocado methinks.

And in what way does it pretend to be France?!?!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I just have to assume that the author has never been to San Francisco.
And how can a city 'pretend' to be an entire country.

France is a big place with totally different cultures in each corner.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yawn. All these critiques about Brighton and its many different cliques have been done to death. If it's meant to prick the bubble of pomposity then sadly, no-one in these target audiences are listening and no-one cares what outsiders think of them.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I get the feeling that this has been written by some jealous left-winger who can't afford to join the white-flight from London, so resorts to their traditional fall-back of blaming 'The Tories'. Yawn......

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
HTML:
They forgot to mention the righteous middle classes who see no contradiction in buying fair trade Colombian coffee et al while at the same time hoovering up vast quantities of charlie on the weekend. All supporting the farmers I suppose.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yawn. All these critiques about Brighton and its many different cliques have been done to death. If it's meant to prick the bubble of pomposity then sadly, no-one in these target audiences are listening and no-one cares what outsiders think of them.

Welcome back (from hols?) :wave:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
They forgot to mention the righteous middle classes who see no contradiction in buying fair trade Colombian coffee et al while at the same time hoovering up vast quantities of charlie on the weekend.

Think of the money to be made flogging fair trade charlie!!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I get the feeling that this has been written by some jealous left-winger who can't afford to join the white-flight from London, so resorts to their traditional fall-back of blaming 'The Tories'. Yawn......

I showed my dad the one on Bexhill, he said it was old news.
Probably confirms, why note date on reports?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just scratched the surface in that report .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Don't recognise any of that. The place is what it is. And I love it.

(I work for a living, have no cash from my parents, didn't go to private school and don't snort cocaine)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
There's been plenty of these types of articles before, so full marks for originality, and then? Devoid of wit and is over after a few paragraphs. Very, very poor.
It's always the people accusing others of 'virtue signalling' who are desperate for everyone else to see how ****ing great they are themselves. Prime example.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here