Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not attempting to 'prove you wrong'. Your colours are very firmly nailed to various masts, and I'm well aware it would be a fruitless exercise to try to convince you otherwise on any of them.

It simply isn't about being 'able' to face up to life outside the EU' is it? One way or the other, it won't be my choice - life will go on, in or out. I just personally believe that we are making life much harder for ourselves, with no good cause whatsoever.
you won't know until we leave ,some people are too short sighted over all this, this isn't a five minute stroll out of the EU
regards
DR

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not sure it is entirely ridiculous. I think there's a number of different ways that make it just how it is for most of us and then those ideas reinforced. At the risk of stretching this analogy - patriotism is not much different from being a football fan of a particular club. You have rivals, there's a history, a shared bond with others. You can be a football fan without supporting a football club but it's very unusual and a lot of us enjoy watching other games but that's never going to stop us from having our favourite. The World Cup and Olympics and all other international competitions exist because of nationalism.

I'd also say that a certain kind of nationalism is far more natural than the idea of everyone identifying as one homogeneous group. Over the last 150 years, countries and regions have overwhelmingly fought to gain independence and sovereignty. It's rarely if ever the other way around and if self-rule isn't a kind of nationalism then I don't know what is. And just because these nationalists seek to rule themselves it doesn't necessarily mean that they are small-minded or racist or that they don't want to explore the world. They'd just like to make their own decisions.

I'm extremely patriotic. I love being English and I think Cecil Rhodes was spot on when he said that to be born English is to win the lottery in life. I think you can be patriotic, wherever you come from and still be open-minded.

Absolutely agree, apologies if it came across as though I think nationalists were inherently racist.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
you won't know until we leave ,some people are too short sighted over all this, this isn't a five minute stroll out of the EU
regards
DR

Then why do many of the more...braindead? brexiters keep claiming the laughable line of 'we've got our country back' - when as you put it, it's not a 5 minute stroll.

Genuine question.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Then why do many of the more...braindead? brexiters keep claiming the laughable line of 'we've got our country back' - when as you put it, it's not a 5 minute stroll.

Genuine question.

But it isn't really genuine is it? You must know that this is a turn of phrase; no one thinks that from 00.01 on June 24th we have got anything back, as this will take ages for all the post-brexit agreements to be signed etc

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What kicked off, the quote was recession not financial crisis, but you are too thick to understand the difference.

If you are not sure why you are wrong you are even more stupid than your posts

Was it the 'living at home with your Mum that got ya, was it ???

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Absolutely agree, apologies if it came across as though I think nationalists were inherently racist.

No need for apologies matey and we both know that a lot of nationalists are also racist. I'd also say that I'd never describe myself as a nationalist, despite what I just wrote as it doesn't sit right with me. Funnily enough, there's a bloke I work with whose brother-in-law is apparently a well-known Sikh Tory activist and who does describe himself as a British nationalist.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My mother passed away a few years ago, and my mither in law was buried this week, so Im not in the mood for mother jokes, thank you

Ignore him, he's a wind up merchant. The very fact he's on here trying to wind others up at 5 to 5 on a Friday evening tells you all you need to know. He's a loser.
Have a good weekend!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Well the housing bubble burst in 2006 but the "actual" recession began in 2008 and is quantified by a fall in GDP in two successive months.

The point is this, for example my worst expereince in business came around 1993, but I dont think this was ever technically a recession, sometime around this time interest rates flew up to 15%, it came at the wrong time (as if there is ever a good time to have 15% interest rates), for this particular business it just wasnt prepared, not enough capital, not enough profitable trading years etc. etc. I took a real knock.

So its no good looking for the ONS to tell people that we havent yet had two consequtive months of declining growth before it becomes relevent, business and individuals feel it as it evolves sometimes for different reasons in different sectors at different times.
[MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] said 2007, it seems he was technically correct as well, but a young whippersnapper of a Remainer came on and tried to deride him for it and duly posted up a graphic of a chart plotting the UK's GDP through the years and came to the conclusion that it was 2008 that was the exclusive year of financial instability and in his infinite wisdom tried to invalidate all of Soulman's points, it was embarassing.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My mother passed away a few years ago, and my mither in law was buried this week, so Im not in the mood for mother jokes, thank you

I apologise, but dare I say ultimately you knew it was not a direct jibe at your family, it was more a ageist jibe at you, just a playful poke in the ribs.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Then you have my sympathy for your combined loss. I have had enough tragedy to deal with in my life, so can appreciate your feelings. However BG was not to know about your recent bereavement, as you well know, and would not have meant any disrespect. You could, afterall, have simply not replied. Since your last post talked of others being stupid and thick, BG replied in kind, without realising.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ignore him, he's a wind up merchant. The very fact he's on here trying to wind others up at 5 to 5 on a Friday evening tells you all you need to know. He's a loser.
Have a good weekend!

I have this image in my head of you doing that 6 year old 'L' shape with thumb and forefinger on their forehead thingy and you saying 'loooooser' to me, come on play nicely now :)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Genuine question.

Why do you call fellow Albion fans braindead? (Takes one to know one)

Genuine question.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Why do you call fellow Albion fans braindead? (Takes one to know one)

Genuine question.

I never mentioned anyone on here. It's not always about anyone on this board. Shock horror, there's people out there!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What kicked off, the quote was recession not financial crisis, but you are too thick to understand the difference.

If you are not sure why you are wrong you are even more stupid than your posts

As BG stated i believe you were either at school or just starting college in 2007. The "quote was recession not financial crisis" you are quite right, which is why i stated that the recession started in the Construction Industry in 2007, October as i stated. The building trade goes into recession before most others. After 40 years in the trade that has always been the case.
I will let you into a little secret, oh insulting one...... you are the "stupid one", i can say that because as you know i do not need swear words and astericks to respond, i also know that in October 2007 my mates were being laid off, no texts and messages from firms or agencies, and future projects were put on hold.
You though were oblivious because you were probably walking home with your school mates.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
The point is this, for example my worst expereince in business came around 1993, but I dont think this was ever technically a recession, sometime around this time interest rates flew up to 15%, it came at the wrong time (as if there is ever a good time to have 15% interest rates), for this particular business it just wasnt prepared, not enough capital, not enough profitable trading years etc. etc. I took a real knock.

So its no good looking for the ONS to tell people that we havent yet had two consequtive months of declining growth before it becomes relevent, business and individuals feel it as it evolves sometimes for different reasons in different sectors at different times.

[MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] said 2007, it seems he was technically correct as well, but a young whippersnapper of a Remainer came on and tried to deride him for it and duly posted up a graphic of a chart plotting the UK's GDP through the years and came to the conclusion that it was 2008 that was the exclusive year of financial instability and in his infinite wisdom tried to invalidate all of Soulman's points, it was embarassing.

I'm afraid that is quite frankly ridiculous, you cannot be in recession just because you felt like you were in one, it's like me taking a lower rate contract and claiming i'm in recession, I'm affected yes but clearly not in recession. The UK went into recession in the 2nd quarter of 2008, it's a fact and not for the first time on here [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] was wrong.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm afraid that is quite frankly ridiculous, you cannot be in recession just because you felt like you were in one, it's like me taking a lower rate contract and claiming i'm in recession, I'm affected yes but clearly not in recession. The UK went into recession in the 2nd quarter of 2008, it's a fact and not for the first time on here [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] was wrong.

Jeez, i stated the Construction Industry went into recession in 2007....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The "quote was recession not financial crisis" you are quite right, which is why i stated that the recession started in the Construction Industry in 2007, October as i stated. The building trade goes into recession before most others. After 40 years in the trade that has always been the case.
I will let you into a little secret, oh insulting one...... you are the "stupid one", i can say that because as you know i do not need swear words and astericks to respond, i also know that in October 2007 my mates were being laid off, no texts and messages from firms or agencies, and future projects were put on hold.
You though were oblivious because you were probably walking home with your school mates.

A few might apply to you, most are what might happen. The only ones for sure are the star deaths and the Albion losing in the play offs.
I hope the recession in 2007 when we were in the EU was kinder to you.

Liar

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here