Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring back Barry Lloyd, say Bring back Barry Lloyd

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
:thumbsup::thumbsup:The only manager to get us within 90 minutes of the top division since we were last there and on a shoe string . Bring back Barry Lloyd, Bring back Barry Lloyd. Bring back ther Glory Days :thumbsup::thumbsup:

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Er...he's about 65 and a scout now. Not quite a forward thinking modern day manager.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Who was it on here that reckoned he was being lined as caretaker had Poyet left for Reading that season?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Mark Farrington?

Don't forget Richard Tiltman.

I realise the O/P is only fishing anyway. But just to humour him and entertain the notion for a brief moment, let's just think about Barry Lloyd doing the job in a modern context.

Lloyd was Albion manager for six years, during which time the club were relegated twice. When he was first appointed in January 1987, the club were already floundering near the bottom of the second tier, and he famously made some sort of comment to the effect that he "didn't give a toss" if they went down. I seem to recall it was taken out of context by many, but it caused some consternation. In any case, his appointment made little difference, and the team were relegated in May. If that scenario occurred now, I could easily imagine that fans would be calling for his sacking by the start of February, never mind the end of the season.

He got the team back up again in 1988, and they bobbed around, being largely ordinary/mediocre/average, for a few seasons. That alone would be enough to cause an NSC moan-fest if the same scenario were to be repeated in 2014, but Lloyd rarely appeared under too much pressure from supporters to be sacked. Then somehow he got the team, courtesy of excellent seasons from Mike Small, John Byrne and Perry Digweed, to the play-offs in 1991, despite a negative goal difference. The following year, they were relegated back to the third tier. Lloyd still survived- a comparable situation now would result in NSC meltdown, and by around October of that season, never mind the following May. He hung on until December 1993, and I remember it being quite the shock when he finally left, after such a long time in charge.

I do remember there being calls for Lloyd to go at various stages during his tenure, notably during an away match at Craven Cottage, when he had to run the gauntlet of the away fans in walking across the pitch to the dugout from the corner where the changing rooms were. But somehow, it rarely seemed as impassioned, or as inevitable as it does now.

I always wondered what changed: we in this country used to laugh at the sort of El Loco chairmen of Spanish clubs who appointed a different manager every season, sometimes even two. Now it's commonplace here. We demand instant success or consequences for those deemed responsible. Is it social media? SkySports hype increasing the pressure on clubs to succeed? Rare is the manager who survives his team dropping down a division (apart from the Burnley types when they fall out of the Premier League). I'm intrigued as to how far it can possibly go: it's never going to go back to what it was, not unless some sort of financial crisis grips the game and they simply can't afford to sack managers.

And how far will it go? Will the managers in five years time get no more than four games to prove themselves? Three?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Brighton were actually well clear of relegation when he was appointed in 1987. But Barry took over three months to lead Albion to a victory.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Mullery is the boss we need now, not Lloyd! ;)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Don't forget Richard Tiltman.

I realise the O/P is only fishing anyway. But just to humour him and entertain the notion for a brief moment, let's just think about Barry Lloyd doing the job in a modern context.

Lloyd was Albion manager for six years, during which time the club were relegated twice. When he was first appointed in January 1987, the club were already floundering near the bottom of the second tier, and he famously made some sort of comment to the effect that he "didn't give a toss" if they went down. I seem to recall it was taken out of context by many, but it caused some consternation. In any case, his appointment made little difference, and the team were relegated in May. If that scenario occurred now, I could easily imagine that fans would be calling for his sacking by the start of February, never mind the end of the season.

He got the team back up again in 1988, and they bobbed around, being largely ordinary/mediocre/average, for a few seasons. That alone would be enough to cause an NSC moan-fest if the same scenario were to be repeated in 2014, but Lloyd rarely appeared under too much pressure from supporters to be sacked. Then somehow he got the team, courtesy of excellent seasons from Mike Small, John Byrne and Perry Digweed, to the play-offs in 1991, despite a negative goal difference. The following year, they were relegated back to the third tier. Lloyd still survived- a comparable situation now would result in NSC meltdown, and by around October of that season, never mind the following May. He hung on until December 1993, and I remember it being quite the shock when he finally left, after such a long time in charge.

I do remember there being calls for Lloyd to go at various stages during his tenure, notably during an away match at Craven Cottage, when he had to run the gauntlet of the away fans in walking across the pitch to the dugout from the corner where the changing rooms were. But somehow, it rarely seemed as impassioned, or as inevitable as it does now.

I always wondered what changed: we in this country used to laugh at the sort of El Loco chairmen of Spanish clubs who appointed a different manager every season, sometimes even two. Now it's commonplace here. We demand instant success or consequences for those deemed responsible. Is it social media? SkySports hype increasing the pressure on clubs to succeed? Rare is the manager who survives his team dropping down a division (apart from the Burnley types when they fall out of the Premier League). I'm intrigued as to how far it can possibly go: it's never going to go back to what it was, not unless some sort of financial crisis grips the game and they simply can't afford to sack managers.

And how far will it go? Will the managers in five years time get no more than four games to prove themselves? Three?

Wrong, it was Bazza's 13 match run without a win 5 draws 8 losses that did for us

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
To be fair, Tiltman didn't actually play that many first team games did he?

Anyway, forget Barry Lloyd. The manager we really need back is.... Chris Cattlin!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Don't even think about it.

I'd be horrified to hear that Barry is back

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
To be fair, Tiltman didn't actually play that many first team games did he?

Anyway, forget Barry Lloyd. The manager we really need back is.... Chris Cattlin!

I will put in a shout for Steve Grit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here