Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Deutsche bank are not moving jobs from Germany to London, they are moving London employees in various buildings to one building

i didnt claim otherwise, just giving evidence against of the claims of an exodus. i know this does fit the narrative, so you tag on speculation they will move some of the employees anyway.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Could, might, probably.....

Yes, we have moved from impossible, as EU members, to could, might and probably as departing members. Action is required to avoid the pitfalls Brexit has opened up, and Government has not indicated that it intends to address this particular one yet, which has a shorter amount of time to get resolved to avoid any disruption, than most other industries.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
i didnt claim otherwise, just giving evidence against of the claims of an exodus. i know this does fit the narrative, so you tag on speculation they will move some of the employees anyway.

I said trickle, you said exodus.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I see that Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, was not part of the process to draft the Article 50 letter.

Odd.
I think he's been side lined.

He was the one banging on about voting to leave and then getting a 2nd referendum after more renegotiations.

Seems it didn't work out like that.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Whatever you think of what's happened, (and I am one of those who think a lot of old people and bigots have selfishly or ignorantly wrecked the youth's future, just to be clear) I am intrigued by the role and blame or otherwise of Cameron in the whole thing.

I am reading some articles today by people who I normally agree with that it is all his fault. But that can't be right, can it? He believed that the issue was becoming such a sticking point it had to be resolved one way or another. And he and Cabinet colleagues campaigned very hard to remain. Then he did the principled thing afterwards. Personally I think Cameron was a useless PM, but I find it hard to blame him on this one. Compare this to May's principles - she was known to think leaving was a bad idea, but is now pushing it through, something she thinks is bad for the country.

The fact is that this referendum was essentially the country holding up a mirror, and what was staring back was surprisingly ugly to many of us. But the blame if you are on our side of the fence is on the public, the media who provided a very narrow and nasty public debate, and probably Labour/Corbyn who were very lily-livered during the campaign.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yes, that is the normal process for legislation in our democratic system. 'Just like that' is a rather flippant way of describing the democratic legislative process though; there is usually quite a lot of consideration and debate that goes into the process as it passes on its way.

Actually, it will be 'all the little bits' that Parliament doesn't like. Only it won't be 'all the little bits' just like that; changes will be made and some of the laws will be repealed or replaced as and when the Government sees fit, after due consideration and debate in Parliament. I seem to remember remainers had some fantasy politics dream of reforming the EU - well, now they will at least be able to reform some of the laws they feel the EU should have reformed.

Yeh, right.......................................

All in under 2 years? Like I said, you are living in a fantasy world.

You know, it is mildly amusing when you adopt a condescending tone. Lest we forget that you were the one brexiteer who openly admitted to never having heard of leave.eu - It does rather damage your credibility.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Then what happens when these and other transitional arrangements, if they happen, go on well beyond 2019 though?

Is that acceptable though? There are reportedly several EU institutions we will need to stay under the remit of during such transitional arrangements. For how long? Is that Brexit meaning Brexit? I get the distinct impression some people may be disappointed with such an outcome - http://www.ukip.org/six_key_tests_to_prove_brexit_means_exit

Have a little patience and we will find out the answers to these hypothetical questions and much more.

UKIP are probably disappointed we haven't already left.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I see that Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, was not part of the process to draft the Article 50 letter.

Odd.

Not that odd. Probably someone realised correctly it would be an embarrassment too far if the clown who was promising the £350m for the NHS and slashing immigration (both now binned, total lies, millions of voters mugged) was paraded today or yesterday.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Whatever you think of what's happened, (and I am one of those who think a lot of old people and bigots have selfishly or ignorantly wrecked the youth's future, just to be clear) I am intrigued by the role and blame or otherwise of Cameron in the whole thing.

I am reading some articles today by people who I normally agree with that it is all his fault. But that can't be right, can it? He believed that the issue was becoming such a sticking point it had to be resolved one way or another. And he and Cabinet colleagues campaigned very hard to remain. Then he did the principled thing afterwards. Personally I think Cameron was a useless PM, but I find it hard to blame him on this one. Compare this to May's principles - she was known to think leaving was a bad idea, but is now pushing it through, something she thinks is bad for the country.

The fact is that this referendum was essentially the country holding up a mirror, and what was staring back was surprisingly ugly to many of us. But the blame if you are on our side of the fence is on the public, the media who provided a very narrow and nasty public debate, and probably Labour/Corbyn who were very lily-livered during the campaign.

I agree with the fact that Labour have proved utterly useless but this was a cross party issue, to be fair (and I'm not Corbyn fan).

I also agree that the media should take their fair shre of blame but they were fed the same lies as anyone else. That ****ing bus lie that was plastered across every newspaper going was not invented by them. The Leave campaigners are not being held to account at all and have shrugged their shoulders after lying to millions of people. You do wonder if that 1.9% majority would vanish if the NHS lie was revelaed before the referendum. Actually I don't, the majority would definitely have vanished.

blah blah remoaner get on with it blah

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It does beg the question why he's in the ****ing job in the first place.
As the main conservative leader of the Leave campaign, I don't think it was politically feasible for Theresa May to ditch him altogether straight away. As Foreign Secretary, though, he has been marginalised much more than a Foreign Secretary would normally expect to be. Expect him to go further down the pecking order at the next cabinet reshuffle.
Like Farage, his work is done.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Or the far more likely none of the above.

You don't think anyone is sensible enough to opt for transitional arrangements rather than grounding flights causing chaos then.

World largest Sovereign wealth funds seem OK with the risk.

I'm adding this to your Brexit predictions LIST.

I thought there was no one daft enough to plough on with Brexit in the form that takes us out of the single market. I don't think May and Davis have sensible and realistic expectations of even where negotiations are going to start from the EU side.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

The problem as I see it is this referendum and it's aftermath solves nothing in regards to that issue. You only have to look at the divisive, polarised views and arguments on this thread and out in the country. The divisions and arguments are well and truly out of Pandora's Box now and aren't going go back in easily.

I really can't see anything other than a lot of people on both sides being very disappointed with the outcome of Brexit in 5 years time and the blame and the recriminations will just carry on-and-on.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not that odd. Probably someone realised correctly it would be an embarrassment too far if the clown who was promising the £350m for the NHS and slashing immigration (both now binned, total lies, millions of voters mugged) was paraded today or yesterday.

See post below!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you'll find this is traditionally the role of our democratically elected Parliament, backed by the independent judiciary..

Not always, no it isn't. Many industrial laws and standards are currently overseen by expert EU boards, panels and bodies. Who will take their places?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexi...eal-bill-powers-corrections-to-eu-laws-2017-3

No Crystal Ball required.

LONDON — The government is to make an estimated 1,000 changes to EU legislation brought back into UK law without first seeking any vote in Parliament, ministers have confirmed.

Brexit secretary David Davis will set out his plans today to transpose EU law back into the UK as part of the Great Repeal Bill.

However he will also confirm that the law will allow ministers sweeping powers to sidestep parliament in order to "correct" European laws without first seeking the approval of MPs.

Davis told Sky News that there were areas of EU law that needed to be "put right."

"We won't want to change everything," he said. "There are lots of parts of EU law that we approve of, that are good, but there will be some things we want to put right."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or the far more likely none of the above.

You don't think anyone is sensible enough to opt for transitional arrangements rather than grounding flights causing chaos then.

World largest Sovereign wealth funds seem OK with the risk.

I'm adding this to your Brexit predictions LIST.

Strikes me as an incredible bargaining chip for the EU though. Just sit back, do nothing, and wait to May to start sweating (hopefully not in those leather trousers)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here