Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brilliant News

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
From what was presented to the media I originally thought the conviction was a correct one ie Sgt. Blackman had admitted breaking the Geneva Convention.

However I've just seen the Panorama programme from last night where his colleagues had been interviewed and other evidence was released. Seems he 'took one for the team' as other colleagues were threatening to do exactly what he eventually did. Doesn't make it right but rather than endanger a medivac team we know the outcome.

Hopefully this guy can be released asap as he's suffered enough.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I read that a further hearing will be set to review and decide on his sentence so is there any indication of when this will be held. One would hope it will be very soon, in the next few days rather than weeks or months.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Here's the full judgement if anyone wants to look beyond the headlines on this one: https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/r-v-blackman-judgment-150317.pdf

He did admit breaking the Geneva Convention, but was successfully argued at this 2nd appeal to at the time have been acting under diminished responsibility as a result of previously undetected combat stress, and so this seems to be a reasonable outcome for the case.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Brilliant News a War Hero in most people eyes...The real villains are the Lawyers who bring these cases to court...Should it be classed as treason ??

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
After the reduction in Blackmans sentence, and indeed the reduction of the charge from murder to manslaughter, criticism is being levelled at the ex bootnecks etc who campaigned for his release, because they were celebrating on the steps of the Court.
It's inappropriatel apparently, because the taleban terrorist died.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The real issue at hand here is what UK troops were doing there in the first place.

As the Russians found, and learnt from, you cannot win a war in that region. It is a cobbled fiefdom.

This 'war on terror' has done nothing but endanger lives further in the west. The very thing it was supposed to prevent. The underlying narrative being hidden by the idea of a moral crusade for freedom.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
After the reduction in Blackmans sentence, and indeed the reduction of the charge from murder to manslaughter, criticism is being levelled at the ex bootnecks etc who campaigned for his release, because they were celebrating on the steps of the Court.
It's inappropriatel apparently, because the taleban terrorist died.

Is that the reason?

Whilst I'm happy for Sgt Blackman and his imminent release I didn't think it was a cause for the wild celebration carried out by some of the Green Berets. After all his conviction for Manslaughter still stood. It wasn't really a "victory".

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
A moral minefield. I can't imagine the stress that combat puts people under but executing a wounded enemy is clearly not OK. If this had happened to a British solider we would be castigating the Taliban for their cold blooded murder of a solider. One of the reason's for his conviction was that we didn't want to leave our moral code open to comparison with that of the emery. I'm not sure what his alternative were or whether letting the wounded man live would have put others in danger so clearly a difficult decision but he did chose to shoot someone who was defenceless. Not a great day for him or our armed forces.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Does anyone really believe that this was the only incident of this kind? That is not a criticism of Sergeant Blackmore or his comrades, but more a realistic view of a dirty war fought in avery hostile environment. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of British soldiers (and all nationalities) who have carried out a mercy killing on their own comrades, to relieve in unbearable suffering. This taleban casualtie was going to die anyway, he was just hastened on his way. I do understand the Geneva convention, I have signed it, but, I can't say given the circumstances I wouldn't have acted the same way as Sergeant Blackmail, a man who has thirty confirmed kills to his name. That must have some effect on a man.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
He was only putting him out of his misery after all did ask if anyone wanted to give him first aid and they all said no and he wasn't an innocent civilian.many of his mates had been injured trying to help the Afgan people.:whistle:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
General Reference to people like Phil Shiner " Lawyer who hounded British soldiers with false murder and torture claims"

The incident was captured n a helmet camera of another Marine, who then downloaded it onto his computer. The old bill found the recording, when investigating an entirely different matter, and Sergeant Blackman was subsequently charged with murder.

I don't know if the Police who found the downloaded material were civvys, or if they were Forces Special Investigation Branch, I don't suppose it matters much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here