Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The big match thread: Huddersfield vs Newcastle

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not all teams will have the same degree of tiredness just because they've played the same number of games. Fitter teams will be less tired than not so fit teams. Teams that have spent most of the season chasing after the ball will have spent more energy than those who have kept control and passed it around.

I think that you are splitting hairs there as the difference in style of play wont make a lot of difference I dont think.

Jan 22, 2017
I didn't think you played that well against us or Udders, but you got the job done. Now Gayle is fit, I reckon you will crack on, I really don't mind if you win it, as long as we're second, I used to weekend in Chester ale Street with mates so I have a lot of time for the Toon

Not just saying it but I want Brighton and us to go up automatically. I was at your game against Walsall when you won league 1 (won't go into detail) and have a lot of time for you as a club. Your stadium, fan base and club deserve to go up after being the best team in the league for a year if not more. As for CLS I worked the door at a bar there for 18 months, whilst I am not from there and from Tyneside it's self I love the place. Good people.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I dont think there are on physical stress to players but tgere you go they are either fit to do the job or not but dont use it as an excuse for poor displays.
I'm not. I'm saying that some teams will be fitter than others. For whatever reasons, this is just a fact.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm not. I'm saying that some teams will be fitter than others. For whatever reasons, this is just a fact.

Haven't read the whole discussion but re this point.......

I think you're right, though playing style makes a huge difference.

When we start fast, we have petered out in the last 15-20 mins, see Sheff Wednesday last season and Newcastle. Think it may have been on here ?Noo said that Hughton prefers a slow start, perhaps that is to conserve energy.

I think the high pressing game although effective does wear players out more quickly, and I think in the last 5 -8 games Huddersfield may feel it. Still they do seem extraordinarily fit to sustain it for 90 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Haven't read the whole discussion but re this point.......

I think you're right, though playing style makes a huge difference.

I think the high pressing game although effective does wear players out more quickly, and I think in the last 5 -8 games Huddersfield may feel it. Still they do seem extraordinarily fit to sustain it for 90 mins.

You might be right but on the other hand Hudders left out a few players against Man City and still looked good in the first leg. They did not look so good in the second leg with 10 changes but less rotation keeps them all fit.
I do wonder whether we have the depth in squad at the moment with injuries to rotate and save legs atm.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You might be right but on the other hand Hudders left out a few players against Man City and still looked good in the first leg. They did not look so good in the second leg with 10 changes but less rotation keeps them all fit.
I do wonder whether we have the depth in squad at the moment with injuries to rotate and save legs atm.

Yes, but LB aside, which is freaky!

We look covered at the start of the season in every position.

We played the squad players vs MK, Oxford and Colchester and they played well. Lincoln was of course a different story.

Looking at the current subs would any of us be dreadfully unhappy if Uwe, Kayal, Hemed, Skalak or March came in? Even Norwood can play given time.

Never thought I'd say it, but perhaps we haven't rotated enough.....

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yes, but LB aside, which is freaky!

We look covered at the start of the season in every position.

We played the squad players vs MK, Oxford and Colchester and they played well. Lincoln was of course a different story.

Looking at the current subs would any of us be dreadfully unhappy if Uwe, Kayal, Hemed, Skalak or March came in? Even Norwood can play given time.

Never thought I'd say it, but perhaps we haven't rotated enough.....

Hopefully you are right but i have not seen Skalak pull up any trees, Kayal does not seem up to speed. When Uwe was brought in against Brentford we went 2 down very quickly, maybe he had not settled in though.....hopefully Norwood can replace a midfielder that needs a rest, but i think his inclusion might weaken our midfield.
Against Rotherham we should be able to rotate a few and still win......hopefully.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hopefully you are right but i have not seen Skalak pull up any trees, Kayal does not seem up to speed. When Uwe was brought in against Brentford we went 2 down very quickly, maybe he had not settled in though.....hopefully Norwood can replace a midfielder that needs a rest, but i think his inclusion might weaken our midfield.
Against Rotherham we should be able to rotate a few and still win......hopefully.

If the team we put out don't roll their sleeves and compete for every ball we will lose again imo. It's all about character from here on. I hate it when fans think we should win because the other team is on a bad run, Albion tend to lose to teams like that.

I am naturally a pessimist and I am very worried about our inability to string more than a couple of decent performances together recently. We can be beaten by anyone in this division if we go out thinking we should win. Rotherham away last season anyone?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Good call. Men from boys time and pure desire.

I think we also need more game intelligence. Duffy saying that determination to avoid a repeat of last year would get us through this time rang alarm bells with me. Fine, of course we have to be determined, but our heads have been going in some recent games. Knockaert continually taking too many players on, Dunk getting booked for arguing again - we need cool heads and clear thinking at times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here