Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
No brainer just tell the Rams to do one. Not for sale. Seems they keep wanting to unsettle other Championship Clubs/Players. Butterfield no, Antonio (he wants a pay rise??)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
as Isaid on another thread
we are in the driving seat tell them to go away and maybe come back with a really silly offer otherwise just do one and manage like we had to last season
Best is available

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Are you insane?? It is clear from Hughton's comments the Kayal / Stephens axis is key to us being able to play with two wide men and two attackers. Stephens has won the battle over JFC and Ince for that starting CM spot with Kayal, he's also seen off Kemy whilst it's anyone's guess how Crofts will perform after his injury.

Nail on head. I don't think that JFC, Ince and Holla can do the CM job that Stephens and Kayal do. Crofts 5 years ago could, but as you say after his injury we just don't know. They all fit into a certain role in a 3 man centre midfield.

It will be interesting to see if any of the others can adapt their game to fill in when Stephens and Kayal inevitably get injured or suspended. Going on previous seasons none of them have the attributes needed at the moment, but players can learn and adapt. I'll bow down to our coaching team's skill if they can turn any of those three into a box to box midfielder.

*edit* Good to see most are of the same opinion on this, totally agree with everything [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] [MENTION=14364] [MENTION=28365]Codner's Wallop[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6560]lethaldrizzle[/MENTION] have said

Last edited:

dr415414

May 6, 2015
Not keen on his twitter profile saying Bolton/Brighton - backs up the theory he likes it up north (family etc) - irrespective of this I can't see us selling
And also was at Charlton quite a while before us so it's not as if he's not used to it darn sarf. Reckon the Bolton bit is that he's just proud of his home town

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It'd be very bad news to sell him and it would undo a lot of the goodwill our transfer activity has generated. We've been squad building really well so far, and I hope a similar style of midfielder to come in as well. Even if he were 2nd choice (which I don't think he will be), we need to retain strength in depth.

Precisely why I think it would need to be a very, very good price to prise him away - far more than his "market" value.

Jul 5, 2003
Not keen on his twitter profile saying Bolton/Brighton - backs up the theory he likes it up north (family etc) - irrespective of this I can't see us selling

His family are big Bolton fans. Not surprising as that's where he comes from. His dad was on Homes Under the Hammer buying a property for Dale to let out. No doubt he'll end up there later in his career, just like Zamora has come back to us. Nobody could blame him for that.

In the meantime he's a Brighton player and long may it stay that way!

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Stephens is tidy.

Wouldn't sell for two and a half mill, not with today's prices being bandied about.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Probably just paper talk responding to the fact that we lost 4 central midfielders in the first 10 days of the season. Can't believe we'd spunk £2.5m on someone who would be behind those 4 and George Thorne in the pecking order......

After the past two years, I'm pleased to be able to do this about this comment, and how B&HA are doing vis-a-vis Derby:

:laugh:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As much as I rate Stephens, he is a cracking player, and I dont want to lose him.

Its weird that they have not identified Kayal as the one to bid for......we all know of the 2 which one we could totally not live without.

They can have Kayal ...

... for £50m

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Given our recent business, Stevens is worth more to us than Dunk, I reckon. The ability to play 4-4-2 with two B2B midfielders is crucial to our success this year.

If Crofts were to return capable of performing the role, the offer increased and we had a suitable replacement ready to go, I'd consider it but until then it's a very firm no.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Wanted by Derby who are willing to pay £2.5m for him according to the sun newspaper.

If we continue with the current run of good form, we will have to get used to clubs expressing interest in our players.
It's positive as long as players heads don't get turned.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If we continue with the current run of good form, we will have to get used to clubs expressing interest in our players.
It's positive as long as players heads don't get turned.

It does show that we have got some good players, but they are players we need to keep if we are going to mount a serious challenge for promotion.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
CM with Kayal and Stephens is very strong. Do not see why we would cash in on a player who if fit will start most games this year. Especially to a side in our division. We playing hard bal with Fulham over dunk and will do the same I think with anyone after Stephens. Take 5million plus to get him as we don t need to sell and he seems happy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here