Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atmosphere at the Amex

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Its the type of people that make up today's crowds, not the lack of standing areas.

Depends what / who you mean. At home and aways when I was young in the late 80s early 90s the singers and "lads" were two very distinct group and the latter were not particularly known for their noise. Indeed at many away games the faces would get together in the small number of seats we'd have with the bulk of the noisy fans standing in the regular away end. Now a lot of people I recognize from those days are in the WSU and making noise together if only sporadically.

What's killed the atmosphere is allocated seating, along with loyalty points. It's now virtually impossible for big groups to watch games together.

Yes we have a few statues and day trippers but in a 25k crowd I'd say the split is 15k fans and 10k customers. That would be plenty if everyone could watch from where they liked.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Depends what / who you mean. At home and aways when I was young in the late 80s early 90s the singers and "lads" were two very distinct group and the latter were not particularly known for their noise. Indeed at many away games the faces would get together in the small number of seats we'd have with the bulk of the noisy fans standing in the regular away end. Now a lot of people I recognize from those days are in the WSU and making noise together if only sporadically.

What's killed the atmosphere is allocated seating, along with loyalty points. It's now virtually impossible for big groups to watch games together.

Yes we have a few statues and day trippers but in a 25k crowd I'd say the split is 15k fans and 10k customers. That would be plenty if everyone could watch from where they liked.

Spot on regarding allocated seating. The chav plastics that started following palace, their embarrassing always Ultras, have complete say over who sits in that section as I understand and hence can put all singers together. It means the other parts of the ground are silent but at least there is some consistency in songs, I.e. Shite euro trash woah woah clap clap clap

(maybe he's going to palace :moo: :jester:)[/QUOTE]

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Really? Don't know where you sit but I am in G and the guys to our right were really getting things going in the second half (not so much the guys to our left) If you think that it was ONE OF THE WORST atmosphere in 3 years you won't mind if I say your IMO counts for diddly squat

I too sit in Block G WSU - always think its a pretty good atmosphere up there.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Until we can get all the keen singers (in the north at least) concentrated towards the middle of that stand, the problem will persist. The split unfortunately does no-one any favours at all. Quite how we go about getting that done I have very little idea.

As much as disappoints me to see so many people around my area in the middle of the north seemingly uninterested in joining in with songs unless it's in the immediate aftermath of an Albion goal, you can't exactly ask people to give up their season ticket seats for someone who might make more noise..

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Stand in the middle of the NS back row. Can hear both sides singing different songs and NEITHER join in with each other. Including those 10 seats to my left. Spaces opening up in the middle now we NEED to get singers there and let it spread outwards. The nw sounded excellent. Also impressed with the WSU B-R-IGHTON

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Until we can get all the keen singers (in the north at least) concentrated towards the middle of that stand, the problem will persist. The split unfortunately does no-one any favours at all. Quite how we go about getting that done I have very little idea.

As much as disappoints me to see so many people around my area in the middle of the north seemingly uninterested in joining in with songs unless it's in the immediate aftermath of an Albion goal, you can't exactly ask people to give up their season ticket seats for someone who might make more noise..

But we could ask the club to notify those who put themselves on a list first of any seats that come available. At least 8 new faces around me at the moment.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
But we could ask the club to notify those who put themselves on a list first of any seats that come available. At least 8 new faces around me at the moment.

Yeah, might be a good start. Couple of spare seats a few down from me that would welcome a pair of loud voices. Wouldn't know if the club see it as enough of an issue to start taking steps towards resolving it though.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Yeah, might be a good start. Couple of spare seats a few down from me that would welcome a pair of loud voices. Wouldn't know if the club see it as enough of an issue to start taking steps towards resolving it though.

I'm sure they'd be okay with it hardly going to do any harm and a good bit of a boost for the link between club and fans.

I doubt more that people in the nw corner would actually migrate over though. They'll have reasons for being there I'm sure.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Sounds predictable , some of these mugs think they can lord it up with no come back
regards
DR

Yep, and when you do call them out you get some Charley on here taking the piss, presumably the type who walk on by when some poor sod is getting a beating.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
There has been talk with the club about ways to improve home atmosphere.

This "competing with each other" in the north is bollocks. Both groups sing side by side at away games and some of the police box lot moved to the other side before stewards had a go and forced them back under the police box. The main person who starts songs on the right side is practically deaf so he can't hear the other lot singing before he starts his own songs.

Jan 30, 2008
Yep, and when you do call them out you get some Charley on here taking the piss, presumably the type who walk on by when some poor sod is getting a beating.
if people want to give it the large one walking to the ground there's always going to be some that will step forward ,not worth the greif these days but you can't just stand there and get mugged off can you:shrug:
Regards
DR

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
if people want to give it the large one walking to the ground there's always going to be some that will step forward ,not worth the greif these days but you can't just stand there and get mugged off can you:shrug:
Regards
DR

The stuff this lot were coming out with in the concourse at half time crossed the line, and they turned out to be the very definition of all mouth.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The stuff this lot were coming out with in the concourse at half time crossed the line, and they turned out to be the very definition of all mouth.

No doubt our wonderful stewards stepped in as soon as there was any suggestion of trouble brewing and nipped it in the bud (or were they too busy telling people that its dangerous to stand?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here