Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Very confused

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
The same as before. When Leo was injured, we had Barnes. If Barnes got injured, we had Lita. Now if Leo gets injured we again have the loan striker, which is Jon Obika. In other words we had one fit striker (Barnes) with Lita back up.....now we have one fit striker (Leo) with Obika as back up.
I know out of the two options which i prefer.

That is my point

Why sell the one player that has always been there.
If we were offered silly money then fair enough but the money we have to replace him will not buy us a striker who is a prooven goalscorer at championship level.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why did we do business so early in the window? Presumably Barnes made it clear that he wasn't going to sign his new contract. Oddly enough, he seems to be more likely to carry on regardless and try his hardest despite being on the verge of a move. Did Burnley say it is now or in July when he is free (knowing he would sign)? Maybe Bloom folded. Do Burnley see him as being the future of the club and a Premier League striker or just someone who can help them get there? Let's face it. A striker on £10k a week for two/three years is small change when it comes to promotion to the top flight.

We're now down to two strikers (again). Are we hedging our bets and have a replacement who we feel is better or just as good or an adequate replacement? Did we not believe that Barnes was capable of helping us to promotion (surely we would have tried much harder to keep him, if we did)? Has our money run out?

So many variables.

I am confused as well.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The OP has a point. Barnes has done a very good job for us this season, particularly in Leo's absence.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
That is my point

Why sell the one player that has always been there.
If we were offered silly money then fair enough but the money we have to replace him will not buy us a striker who is a prooven goalscorer at championship level.

He had to be sold, his contract ran out in the summer and he was not signing a new one.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I get the impression that the Club did what it could to offer Barnes a reasonable deal but would not break the bank. Burnley have been interested for months. Barnes is almost out of contract and we had a chance to cash in before he walked anyway. Plus there was probably his Agent stirring the pot too. That's how it makes sense to me.

Barnes has gone and he is history, so rather than indulge in hand wringing I feel its now time to get a bit excited about the opportunity this creates for us to do some transfer business of our own. At least we got the money early enough in the transfer window to enable us to act sooner rather than later. Plus if Bridcutt does go then we should have a decent budget.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Why did we do business so early in the window? Presumably Barnes made it clear that he wasn't going to sign his new contract. Oddly enough, he seems to be more likely to carry on regardless and try his hardest despite being on the verge of a move. Did Burnley say it is now or in July when he is free (knowing he would sign)? Maybe Bloom folded. Do Burnley see him as being the future of the club and a Premier League striker or just someone who can help them get there? Let's face it. A striker on £10k a week for two/three years is small change when it comes to promotion to the top flight.

We're now down to two strikers (again). Are we hedging our bets and have a replacement who we feel is better or just as good or an adequate replacement? Did we not believe that Barnes was capable of helping us to promotion (surely we would have tried much harder to keep him, if we did)? Has our money run out?

So many variables.

I am confused as well.

Well imo, i think that Barnes was nailed on to leave. Firstly he may not be as well in (football wise) with Oscar, as he was with Gus. Secondly with CMS on his way back he could be 3rd in line amongst the strikers. Thirdly, and because of the first couple of theories, he would not get a big rise on his new contract.
So, with Danny Ings on the move ( i have a mate that has played with and in contact with Ings, hope to get the heads up on his new club to make a few bob) then Barnes has a good chance of starting, plus a better wage.
I think the Obika loan is good (obviously Lita did not work out) and i reckon his 3 month loan will be well in before CMS is fully fit.
So that just leaves another striker to come in, with 20 days left of the transfer window.
I think TB etc know what they are doing.
Just to add, and agree, Barnes did give 100% in his last games.....but then if you knew you were moving on you would be out to impress.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I get the impression that the Club did what it could to offer Barnes a reasonable deal but would not break the bank. Burnley have been interested for months. Barnes is almost out of contract and we had a chance to cash in before he walked anyway. Plus there was probably his Agent stirring the pot too. That's how it makes sense to me.

Barnes has gone and he is history, so rather than indulge in hand wringing I feel its now time to get a bit excited about the opportunity this creates for us to do some transfer business of our own. At least we got the money early enough in the transfer window to enable us to act sooner rather than later. Plus if Bridcutt does go then we should have a decent budget.

If Bridcutt goes we'll have a very decent budget to get both a striker and Conway in. Ince's contract extension is of massive significance, and means we really don't have to spend anything on a replacement central midfielder for Liam.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
The only logical explanation that we are going to sign a new striker in the window.

Oscar is on the official website confirming that a replacement for Barnes will be/is coming.

He says that all players that leave will be replaced. Makes it interesting if Bridcutt does actually leave then, eh?!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
:ffsparr:

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
If Barnes was always going to be sold then why was a replacement not signed.
In my eyes obika is a replacement or lita.

£750000 in January or free in may will be irelivent if Barnes scores a goal for burnley at the end of the season that puts them in the playoffs & takes us out of them.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Don't get me wrong Barnes was not close to the top of the list of players we didnt want to lose but given our striker shortage surely a replacement should have been found before we sold him.

Have you actually watched Oscars team yet? We usually play one up front, we now have two of them. If we decide to start 442 we'll start with someone similar to Barnes (when we buy him).

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Have you actually watched Oscars team yet? We usually play one up front, we now have two of them. If we decide to start 442 we'll start with someone similar to Barnes (when we buy him).

Once or twice

Leonardo (star man)
Cms (injured)
Hoskins (injured)
Obika (who knows)

Not the strike force that will get us to the play offs fear.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Because we're buying a different and hopefully better one in the next month (and cos his deal runs out soon and he told us wouldn't sign or only for silly money etc.)

IF we don't sign anyone, then have a moan sure! BUT until then trust in Tony

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oscar is on the official website confirming that a replacement for Barnes will be/is coming.

He says that all players that leave will be replaced. Makes it interesting if Bridcutt does actually leave then, eh?!

Very exciting really we have let a decent player go.....who knows who he will be replaced by.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The quote is We will miss his character and his hard work but we now need to bring in a replacement for him. I have said before, if someone leaves we have to replace them and that is the case with Ashley.

It's not the same thing.

jd312

Feb 19, 2011
In a season that has left us with a real striker shortage.why on earth have we sold the only striker that has remained fit.
Ashley Barnes is no Lionel messi but he has run his socks off this season & never given less than 100%

Yes cms is close to a return but nobody knows how such a serious injury is going to affect him aswell as Hoskins.

Yes we have signed Jon obika on loan but we also signed leroy lita & what impact did he make.

So the only striker we have at the moment is leonardo (no pressure then)

He wanted more money. Probably double then we were prepaid to offer, and you're right he no Lionel messi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here