Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking News -SING LI CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Back in the 1960s wasn't there a shop in Queens Road called Brighton Surgical Appliances. It was full of nasty, but necessary, medical items and equipment that looked like it was from a set of a horror film. I always remember crossing the road every time I was about to pass it. :eek:

As was proudly proclaimed by the sign in the window...

Truss-makers to your nobility.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Indeed, if death by Sing Li was an option bring it on. Chips kept in a freezer in the back garden, what's not to love? So much iconic imagery - the old handwritten signs, updated prices stuck over the top, the old drinks bottle with a crude hole pierced in its gold metal lid as a salt dispenser, the family chillaxing in the background.

and the cork board covered in dodgy business cards

el punal

Many a time I've lost my will power after too many beers in the Trafalgar and given in to Sing Li's battered sausage!

I hope he recovers and is back behind the counter soon. Is there no Sing Li junior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're all in the back of the shop watching TV, probably The Only Way Is Beijing, or Shanghai Shore or some such nonsense.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
FFS, all this over a grubby fish & chips shop, do people still eat this crap, guess not now it closed.

How come you say you live in Brighton, appear to have so little awareness of your surroundings, and can glibly dismiss Sing Li as 'grubby' and 'crap' without apparently ever having any prior knowledge of that genuinely cherished establishment? ???

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but says WAY more about you than it does about Sing Li.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
........It means we'd have lost another legendary character from the Queens Road area. I miss the days when there was the shop with hundreds of little rooms stuffed with books piled on the floor and the proprietor always smoking and doing his crossword.......
His name was Noel Brooks and he mysteriously disappeared in 2002. I had a friend who used to go in there a lot in the early 80s and used to chat to him which was unusual because Noel didn't usually bother to engage with his customers. Unfortunately my friend was also a bit of a kleptomaniac especially with regards to books and he wasn't averse to pocketing some of Noel's stock when he was in there. I used to tell him he was out of order given the fact he was on quite friendly terms with Noel and also the fact he was just a small independent bookseller. One day while on one of his book lifting sprees and after having left Noel's shop with some of his merchandise my friend then went to another shop and got caught. The police were called and they found all these books on him from various shops, some of which were from Noel which the police deduced from the price codes written in them. They returned the books to Noel and as a result he discovered that the one customer he bothered to engage with had been stealing from him. My friend was really embarrassed and wrote Noel a letter of apology. Noel's response was to invite him to tea at his flat in Lansdowne. I went along too and Noel told us a bit about his life most of which escapes me, but he travelled a lot when he was younger and spent a bit of time in Russia. He also revealed he was gay which is something he had in common with my friend. When he found out I was straight he then went on try and convince me thay that I was a repressed homosexual based on the fact that I had the top button of my shirt done up. It was the early 80s and that was a bit of a fashion at the time but it obviously wasn't something he was aware of. He got quite insistent and wouldn't accept my denials. Anyway we eventually left, 20 years later Noel disappeared and my book thieving friend became a teacher. Here are some links to the Argus articles of the time he disappeared.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5129201.Final_chapter_for_chaotic_bookshop/

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5129214.Paradise_lost/

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6748844.Book_store_cleared_after_vanishing_act/

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
There's a young daughter who always does her homework or colouring in books on the table at the back of the shop. Can't see the council letting a 13 year old take over a chippy though. I hope he gets well soon. I think [MENTION=357]afters[/MENTION] put it best in this thread.

She seems to have been doing that for about 15 years.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This. There's this strange domestic tableau going on in the background that seems to have been going on forever.

Could be a hologram?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Update on Noel Brookes from above post. I've just done a quick search and discovered he died in 2007 RIP
https://m.thegazette.co.uk/notice/L-59758-1342088

That's a shame. Cheers for the info.

There's some great stories about the D & K Rosen proprietor too. He was the master of the hard-sell and allegedly a very keen interest in misogyny. His ingratiating way of talking was apparently part of the inspiration for the "Suits You" Fast Show sketch. There's a few stories about him in a series of books published 20 years ago that detailed some of the eccentricities of Brighton. There's one very memorable story where a student at Sussex Uni went in there to see if the shop had any purple velour dinner jackets to wear for the graduation ball. The response:

"Velour? Purple velour? A purple velour dinner jacket? Is Sir mad? Has Sir taken leave of his senses?"

This character assassination continued for some time until he announced:

"Of course I don't have one but I think I have a perfectly good substitute that Sir might like."

He then disappeared out back and returned with a Napoleonic officer's suit that would have been too big for Cyril Smith.

"The trousers are a little generous around the waist but nothing that can't be fixed with some soft fruit."

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
This. There's this strange domestic tableau going on in the background that seems to have been going on forever.

The only explanation is that it must be his grand-daughter....bearing in mind that during the early withdean years (18 years ago now) there was a young girl at the back of the establishment doing some colouring in

Back in the early withdean years you could buy the finest portion of chips and a picked onion for £1.....they also had a Simpsons fruit machine in there at one point that regularly paid out whilst you were waiting for your goods

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The only explanation is that it must be his grand-daughter....bearing in mind that during the early withdean years (18 years ago now) there was a young girl at the back of the establishment doing some colouring in
Have you not heard of Dorian Grey? Seems like a much more logical explanation to me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Shame to pick up on this thread and find out he's seriously unwell. Like many others I have so many football / alcohol related memories of the place. When I first started going out on the town regularly after games we never got far from the station, just used to drink in the Edinburgh or Nightingale and sometimes as far away from the station as The Caxton. From any of those joints the unmistakable smell of chips, battered sausage, sore finger and some of the regular customers filled the night air and acted as a huge incentive to join the queue in time to make your last train home and make sure you had your last £1.50 about your person.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
How come you say you live in Brighton, appear to have so little awareness of your surroundings, and can glibly dismiss Sing Li as 'grubby' and 'crap' without apparently ever having any prior knowledge of that genuinely cherished establishment? ???

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but says WAY more about you than it does about Sing Li.

Because i don't live near the station or have any reason to be around that area.
i stand by staying its looks grubby because it does, nothing personal about the owner. it looks like it needs redecorating.
I never said Sing Li was crap did I? I'm happy to be proved wrong.
What i said was the type of food was crap.
In the actual words "All food cooked in deep oil and covered in batter is crap food."
If this "genuinely cherished establishment" is your idea of fine cuisine and is your thing then that is your choice. But its your health that will suffer from it because it is crap food.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A trip to Sing Li was absolute standard for about 10 years for us on the return leg of the pub trip on Friday nights. Pile out of Battle, saveloy and chips, resist eating it all before getting indoors about 2 mins away!. Whatever people's opinions of the shop or the food, lovely people and a very happy memory that was integral to my twenties and some of the best nights out I've ever had.
All the very best to Keen, very sorry to hear of his illness.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Because i don't live near the station or have any reason to be around that area.
i stand by staying its looks grubby because it does, nothing personal about the owner. it looks like it needs redecorating.
I never said Sing Li was crap did I? I'm happy to be proved wrong.
What i said was the type of food was crap.
In the actual words "All food cooked in deep oil and covered in batter is crap food."
If this "genuinely cherished establishment" is your idea of fine cuisine and is your thing then that is your choice. But its your health that will suffer from it because it is crap food.

If you seriously think anyone is actually suggesting the food is good for you then you must be on glue. The attraction lies in the pub/football ritual of the place and that's what you want to munch when you're 7 pints deep on a Friday night. I doubt a vegetarian salad bar with a side of mung beans and a bottle of cabbage smoothie would have hit the spot quite so much!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here