Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five to Keep

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think that Bruno could take over the role that Calderon had this season. My one hope is for Chicksen to be replaced so that we are not in the same position again this season as regards injuries and back up and hopefully not by Ridgewell. who was only a very slight improvement but the deal was too little and too late.
Chicksen is out of contract.

He'll be gone.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Compared to the last two post play-offs we've at least managed to keep hold of Hughton for longer than 24 hours.
In the equivalent time period after 2012 Gus was effectively gone ("suspended) .Oscar in 2013 was even quicker off the mark. He'd resigned before TB had got off the train home. Hughton will be managing the retained list this week. Nathan Jones did it in 2012, 13, and 14 !!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's difficult to name just five.

1. Chris Hughton. We could lose some of the key players, but it wouldn't matter too much if CH was still in charge. Unquestionably one of the best managers we've ever had.

Players (in no particular order)

Knocky, Kayal, Stephens, Dunk, Bruno, Stockdale, Goldson, Skalak (love the fella), possibly Hemed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't like the rumours about Stephens that surfaced on here a couple of weeks ago. Other than that I am quite relaxed about player retention at the moment.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
It's difficult to name just five.

1. Chris Hughton. We could lose some of the key players, but it wouldn't matter too much if CH was still in charge. Unquestionably one of the best managers we've ever had.

Players (in no particular order)

Knocky, Kayal, Stephens, Dunk, Bruno, Stockdale, Goldson, Skalak (love the fella), possibly Hemed.

Think you've got to look at the ones who've made the difference this season and would be really difficult to replace so I'd go for:-

Knockaert
Kayal
Goldson
Skalak
Hemed (17 goals is a lot better than many of the replacements being touted on other forums and the combination of poor service due to injuries and Baldock's limitations suggests he could get even better?!)

Love Bruno but at his age he can't keep going for ever. Ditto Greer.

Dunk has been great recently but he cost us a lot of points earlier in the season.

Keep Hughton at all costs though......!

Maybe we should start a thread on who to get rid of too!?

How about:-

Baldock- industrious but not good enough
Lua lua - can be brilliant but too erratic and injury prone; should get decent money for him though?

The fact that I can only think of two says a lot about the quality of this squad.....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Too narrow a selection IMHO. How do you omit Stockdale? Or Knockaert? Or Bruno? These players are an integral part of the big beating heart of the side.

Partly because I'm not worried that we will lose them. And partly because the four players I list are the spine of the club. I'd hate to lose Stockdale or Knockaert, but if we did I'm sure we can replace them and still compete. If we kept those two but lost Kayal and stephens I would not feel the same.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Think you've got to look at the ones who've made the difference this season and would be really difficult to replace so I'd go for:-

Knockaert
Kayal
Goldson
Skalak
Hemed (17 goals is a lot better than many of the replacements being touted on other forums and the combination of poor service due to injuries and Baldock's limitations suggests he could get even better?!)

Love Bruno but at his age he can't keep going for ever. Ditto Greer.

Dunk has been great recently but he cost us a lot of points earlier in the season.

Keep Hughton at all costs though......!

Maybe we should start a thread on who to get rid of too!?

How about:-

Baldock- industrious but not good enough
Lua lua - can be brilliant but too erratic and injury prone; should get decent money for him though?

The fact that I can only think of two says a lot about the quality of this squad.....

P.s. if I could have a top eight I'd add in Bong, Rosenior and Murphy all of whom have been terrific most of the season.

If I had any argument with CH it would be why we've not played Murphy more recently?

He's skilful, can go past players and has got goals in him. I'd rather have seen him play in tandem with Hemed than Baldock any day......

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The single most important player we need to keep in knockart. He provides the magic

BHA Haywards Heath

Jan 31, 2012
Goldson, Kayal & Stephens, Hemed, Knockaert

I've only put players I think are more likely to go. I would not be devastated by the loss of Dunk, providing we got a good fee for him. Though saying that it would be a shame to break up what seems a very good CB partnership going forward.

I think it is time Lualua moved on. He's great, don't get me wrong, but I can't see what he offers that our other wingers don't offer more consistently, and I don't think we could justify 5 fit wingers going into a season (granted assuming March will be fit)

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Forget 5 to keep - theres much more than that.
In
Stockdale
Bruno
Dunk
Goldson
Bong
Knockaert
Skalek
Stephens
Kayal
Hemed
Baldock

Also to keep
Calde (in a player/coach role)
Rosenior
Murphy
BFG
March

Areas to build on
GKs - no need with the Fin as back up
Defence - need a RB and/or LB to challenge Bruno/Bong. Expect to see Rosenior as the successor to Bruno.
Midfield - Would love to sign Sidwell as our "old head" in the middle for when we need to see out time. Also need another young pair of legs in there to help relieve the playing time on Kayal and Stephens. As for wingers, KLL should be moved on because he slows the game down too much for how CH wants to play. Is he a good Championship player? - yes, but not suited for us. This then makes Murphy our weakest winger which I could just about accept. March returning and having a full pre season is key (remember he missed most of this years and hit form after 2 months of the season)
forwards - Our recruiting here has to reduce at least Baldock to the bench, if not Hemed too. Id love to know whats up with Hemed and Harper to see what the fuss is about there.

Ultimately our goal has to be a bench consisting of
The fin - GK
BFG
Rosenoir
Sidwell
March
Baldock
Hemed

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Forget 5 to keep - theres much more than that.
In
Stockdale
Bruno
Dunk
Goldson
Bong
Knockaert
Skalek
Stephens
Kayal
Hemed
Baldock

Also to keep
Calde (in a player/coach role)
Rosenior
Murphy
BFG
March

Areas to build on
GKs - no need with the Fin as back up
Defence - need a RB and/or LB to challenge Bruno/Bong. Expect to see Rosenior as the successor to Bruno.
Midfield - Would love to sign Sidwell as our "old head" in the middle for when we need to see out time. Also need another young pair of legs in there to help relieve the playing time on Kayal and Stephens. As for wingers, KLL should be moved on because he slows the game down too much for how CH wants to play. Is he a good Championship player? - yes, but not suited for us. This then makes Murphy our weakest winger which I could just about accept. March returning and having a full pre season is key (remember he missed most of this years and hit form after 2 months of the season)
forwards - Our recruiting here has to reduce at least Baldock to the bench, if not Hemed too. Id love to know whats up with Hemed and Harper to see what the fuss is about there.

Ultimately our goal has to be a bench consisting of
The fin - GK
BFG
Rosenoir
Sidwell
March
Baldock
Hemed

This is about where my head's at. The biggest challenge will be keeping everyone but IF we do leaves 4 key recruits. Fully expect us to sign Murray to replace Sir Bobby who's surely going to retire as his body is clearly f*****. Then need a "star" striker (expect this to be from foreign shores), a strong box to box midfielder to take the pressure off Kayal and Stephens and a decent LB to provide back up to Bong. Left field one would be if that young lad from Charlton (Lookman?) could be tempted he'd be a massive signing and I'd shift Lua Lua out to get him here.

Controversial one is that I'm not 100% on stockdale - but appreciate I'm in a minority of one here. Just doesn't dominate the box enough for me, making us very vulnerable to crosses in and around the 6 yard box. Makes some great saves I admit but fair share of mistakes too (including Wednesday's first on Friday which was crucial). Realistically probably not many better out there though in our price range.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Kayal is absolutely KEY. Way more so than any of the other players. I was reassured a little by what he posted on his instagram today:

that instagram quote has lifted my mood slightly.......if we can keep this group together and add a 30 goal a season striker then we'll give it a shake again next season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here