Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] United on the verge.....

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
International football is below the knock out stages of the Europa League.

He's won the Europa league, scoring in the final.

He's won the world cup, scoring in the final....which I would probably place above the knockout stages of the Europe League

Not sure what your point is though. I was responding to the claim that he didn't get into the france team before the last 12 months.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
City spent 120 million on full backs in one summer - so whilst they haven’t spent it on 1 player they have spent.

Sanchez is a total mercenary, I’m not shocked it hasn’t worked for him - spent all his time saying he wanted to go to city then ends up at United.

United is pretty toxic at the moment, I’m not sure who is going to go in and make it work.

I still don’t understand the hype over Pogba, he’s an average player that has moments of brilliance - but so do most Pl players.

Your last line might be right, but I still think it’s unwise to write him off.

I never said Man City haven't spent BIG money, of course they have, but you seem to be suggesting that the £££ at City is why pep has succeeded, and yet you are backing Jose as if he's not had the opportunity to spend at that level. Plenty of managers down the years have had and wasted big war chests. Pep doesn't seem to waste money - spent far less than Real Madrid when he was in Spain - while Jose, didn't used to, but does now BIG TIME.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm not claiming the guy is a guru....but I do wonder WHAT IF they had stuck with Moyes. He made TWO signings, Fellaini in the summer.....who is now a key part of the United team...and then Mata. Both are still there.

I just wonder what would have happened if they would have actually backed him with even half the money they've given Van Gaal and Mourinho,

Sure, it may have gone terribly....but you never know.

He finished 7th. Since then they have finished 4th, 5th, 6th and finally 2nd last year.

In the seasons since Moyes they have spent £145m, £103m, £149m, £146m. £50m

Some of the players signed since Moyes: Rojo, Di Maria, Blind, Valdez, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Darmian, Depay, Baily, Mkhitaryan, Lindelof.

Mad!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a persona he has.

Ah, the persona of throwing people who have come out as suffering with depression under the bus in the most public way possible. Great persona there.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I make it that he had 49 caps prior to 2018.

He was also named 2014 World Cup's best young player

Some of those were as a sub. But the real point is that he was dropped during Euro 2016, and both before that tournament and again this year there were huge calls at home for him to be left out of the squad, let alone the team, for poor performances in the build-up games. Fair enough he proved a few critics wrong in Russia, but even Deschamps knows he is not reliable.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair point well made. That is a dick move in anybody's language.

Sorry, just can't stand the man. I appreciate that now the media are absolutely on him and making things worse, but I think he built that bed for himself a little in the early years by courting publicity so much. I think he used to be very good at it too.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My lad, at Uni last year, had a Portuguese coach, whose family are long-time family friends with the Mourinhos.

This chap insists that he is a lovely bloke, who sees the whole media / image thing as one big game.

Not convinced I buy it, personally. The guy just looks so unhappy all the time. Pretending to be unhappy in your work on a daily basis, doesn't sound a very fun game.

I do. At least in the beginning. I'm not so sure how much he enjoys it now. Probably nowhere near as much as his golden touch seems to have deserted him. He used to have a bit of a twinkle in his eye back in the day, it's not their anymore.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I never said Man City haven't spent BIG money, of course they have, but you seem to be suggesting that the £££ at City is why pep has succeeded, and yet you are backing Jose as if he's not had the opportunity to spend at that level. Plenty of managers down the years have had and wasted big war chests. Pep doesn't seem to waste money - spent far less than Real Madrid when he was in Spain - while Jose, didn't used to, but does now BIG TIME.

Both squads have cost over £800m, the most expensive on the planet. Man Utd's 2016/17 payroll costs at £232m were the highest in the PL, and since then they've recruited Pogba and Sanchez on huge wages.

On similar finances, Mourinho just can't compete with Guardiola's work at ManC. Playing the ball on the deck might be a start.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

United needed to spend more the team he came into was average by United standards.

Pep inherited a team that won the league a season before and the core.

I’m not sure how much control he has over the transfers?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
United needed to spend more the team he came into was average by United standards.

Pep inherited a team that won the league a season before and the core.

I’m not sure how much control he has over the transfers?

Mourinho's had 5 transfer windows and over two years of coaching, yet tactics so often are so high balls to Lulaka and Snide Elbower Fellaini. ManU fans hate it. Why is Mourinho obsessed with the Pulis School of Football?

They have so many gifted ball players - Mata, Herrera, Rashford, Pogba, Martial, Young, Matic, Pereira, Valencia, Fred.

In Mourinho's first season or two at Chelsea, they played attacking football on grass, with Duff and Robben on the wings.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So those who are saying he’s a still good manager want to carry on defending him after that dross last night?

I know he’s past it at the top level now but I still can’t believe how bad he has made a team containing top quality midfielders and forwards like Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez, Rashford and Matic look. It is an achievement in itself.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
img_4778_209.jpg

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Neville is furious. That just makes it all the more amusing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here