Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where are you on the UK fat scale?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I'd go for 1% extra NI rebate for BMI's greater than 30. The fatties ultimately will bring down the NHS

I'm always a bit suspicious of this sort of assertion.

Surely if lard and beer are your two main food groups and you have a BMI of 40 then you are going to drop down dead much earlier than someone who lives off raw veg and water. And eventually even the whippets will get old, get diseases and need some sort of care.

I suspect that if you concentrate purely on the cost of the obese to the NHS you may be right that they cost more per head whilst they are alive but if you add in factors like pension provision, social care etc then it is actually the smokers, drinkers and layabouts who are keeping the costs down for the country.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I'd go for 1% extra NI rebate for BMI's greater than 30. The fatties ultimately will bring down the NHS

Sounds great in principle. But....

It would be a nightmare to manage. How often would the nation have to go and get their BMI checked and registered.

It would also not very fair to people who have illnesses which make it difficult to lose weight or can't exercise due to disability. Physical or mental health deserves parity and many overweight people eat too much due to psychological issues.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sounds great in principle. But....

It would be a nightmare to manage. How often would the nation have to go and get their BMI checked and registered.

It would also not very fair to people who have illnesses which make it difficult to lose weight or can't exercise due to disability. Physical or mental health deserves parity and many overweight people eat too much due to psychological issues.

Once every 2 years, that extra NI would pay for it

If you have a proven illness or disability you could exempt

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Definitely needs to be a fat tax on airplanes. And a separate area for them.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Once every 2 years, that extra NI would pay for it

If you have a proven illness or disability you could exempt

People get ill and often it takes time to get a diagnosis. Many people who are over weight have psychological issues. Would they be exempt?

People are also good at cheating systems like this. Many will lose just enough weight to pass then pile on the pounds again after.

I feel BMI is a useful tool to manage your health but there are exceptions.

More responsibility needs to be taken by food manufacturers. They make a lot of profit and perhaps they need to pay extra tax. The sugar tax seems to have made made drinks manufacturers cut the sugar in their products. Although I am a fan of choice for the consumer.

I only drink classic coke (although occasionally) as I find it hard to maintain weight. Since starting the thread my BMI has dropped from 18.5 healthy to just below. I have no eating disorders but my immune system is faulty. So what about people at the low end of BMI? They cost the NHS too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
People get ill and often it takes time to get a diagnosis. Many people who are over weight have psychological issues. Would they be exempt?

People are also good at cheating systems like this. Many will lose just enough weight to pass then pile on the pounds again after.

I feel BMI is a useful tool to manage your health but there are exceptions.

More responsibility needs to be taken by food manufacturers. They make a lot of profit and perhaps they need to pay extra tax. The sugar tax seems to have made made drinks manufacturers cut the sugar in their products. Although I am a fan of choice for the consumer.

I only drink classic coke (although occasionally) as I find it hard to maintain weight. Since starting the thread my BMI has dropped from 18.5 healthy to just below. I have no eating disorders but my immune system is faulty. So what about people at the low end of BMI? They cost the NHS too.

The problem is the UK is addicted to exactly that, "manufactured food" and that more often than not makes people fat. More tax on processed food and more emphasis on cooking in the education system, ultimately you are what you eat.

If everyone cooked from scratch we wouldn't have the health crisis we are in. I'm sure some will use the "time poor" argument, for most people I don't buy it and its all about priorities

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is on BBC1 right now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p062c0tf

Also a very interesting study with old twin ladies, one of whom is slim and the other overweight. An analysis of their stools showed the thinner one had more good microbes in her gut which helped her keep her weight down.

There is also a study on when you eat having an effect on your weight. If you eat a larger meal at lunchtime, then you burn it off, but eating a large meal in the evening, your body sugar stays longer.
People are working longer. We used to have an evening meal at 5.30, but now not eating until 8pm.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
This is on BBC1 right now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p062c0tf

Also a very interesting study with old twin ladies, one of whom is slim and the other overweight. An analysis of their stools showed the thinner one had more good microbes in her gut which helped her keep her weight down.

There is also a study on when you eat having an effect on your weight. If you eat a larger meal at lunchtime, then you burn it off, but eating a large meal in the evening, your body sugar stays longer.
People are working longer. We used to have an evening meal at 5.30, but now not eating until 8pm.

not eating until 8pm and tray on lap in front of tv :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here