Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sunderland Relegated

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't help thinking desperately clinging onto 4th from bottom, for all those years, is a major factor in what's happened today.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Di Canio said "Back me or the players" - the board chose the players. But he called it right: he said the culture there was wrong and needed fixing. I

So did Hitler in Germany in the 1930s.....the trouble was, in both cases the solution wasn't good (even if it may have been final)....Di Caneo was a gold plated ****womble.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No. Why should we? He's earned huge sums of money doing what most of us would have loved to do, never mind how much we got paid for it.

But still a former servant of the Albion, I wouldn't villify any other former players.
Oh wait, there was that Pepsi Cola prick :)

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
It was a different circumstance here though. Essentially, we had a decent squad with a good team spirit that was destabilised by Hyppia's abject management. Sunderland are a basket case through and through.
Fair point, but I think that any relegated team loses at least one season trying to get back to that level. Try to stay up, then re-group for a season in the Championship, rather than League 1.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But still a former servant of the Albion, I wouldn't villify any other former players.
Oh wait, there was that Pepsi Cola prick :)

I'm not vilifying him. The lad did alright for himself - and will probably still earn amounts that would make most peoples' eyes water for a few years yet. What is there to feel sorry for him about?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I read that Rodwell’s wages alone will burn through the TV money they will receive in League One in five months. They are so screwed it’s untrue. Rodwell, by himself, is having a massive destabilising effect at the club. You can’t really blame him though. More fool the club for offering such a short sighted, iron clad contract. It’s hard to envisage our Tony signing up to something like that.

They still have one year of parachute payments though!

Two years left on their parachute payments, I believe (worth £64m over three years). It used to be the case that you get four years, but now it's changed to three (money is instead spread over three years instead, it's not that you lose as year). If a team promoted to the Premier League gets relegated in their first season, they only get two years of payments. So, a big advantage of us staying up this season would be that we have the insurance of some extra money if we go down in a subsequent season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/02/parachute-payments-clubs-relegated-premier-league

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm not vilifying him. The lad did alright for himself - and will probably still earn amounts that would make most peoples' eyes water for a few years yet. What is there to feel sorry for him about?

Perhaps villify was a tad strong, it was only a sentimental spare a thought.
I know these players get paid wads, but that's the way football has gone to these days, money being thrown at the players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just to clarify not necessarily the following season but there’s a far few who have gone down straight away or a season or two later. Premier League era, at least: Bradford, Wigan, Blackburn, Wolves, Portsmouth, Bolton, Blackpool. Charlton, Leeds, Cov, Wimbledon, Barnsley, Sheffield United, Man City from a quick check.

Stains. Narwich.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I thought he was the only player in the squad, who didn’t have a pay reduction after relegation from the top flight?

He did but it was deferred for the first season. If he stays (which I am sure he will as no one will want him even on his reduced wages next season) his wages will drop at the end of this season as we have not been promoted back to the PL.

I do agree with the messages above that we are in a bad way however I will be there at Fulham Friday for the relegation party

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Feel free to rub it in when me and fellow SAFC fans signed petitions and marched along the seafront when you were on your knees!

Get off ya high horse will ya. It's a relegation not your very existence as a club.

On the other hand i have no axe to grind with Mackem's or Geordies for that matter, both likable. Just Smoggies piss me off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here