Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Jason Gillespie appointed Sussex head coach

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Unbelievable appointment. Hats off to Rob Andrew, no idea how we've managed that!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This is as hot as the news when Brian Clough was announced as Albion Manager - just hope he stays a bit longer as JG knows his stuff.

Maybe the pathway for Sussex coaches helped attract him, Moores became Mens senior coach [twice], Robinson is the current Ladies coach and Hopkinson is involved with the u19's / Lions I believe. Gillespie for England - later - we need a couple of seasons out of him first - 5 would be good looking at what he did at Yorks.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jeez, yeah, put me in the 'impressed' camp. I wasn't expecting that at all, I thought it might go to some guy Rob Andrew once met on a jolly at Twickenham who'd once played for Cambridge University Seconds.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Delighted to have a coach of Gillespie's calibre.
Feel a little sorry for Chris Adams, who touted himself again, as he did a couple of years ago when Davies was appointed. He clearly loves the club, and I thought he would be considered.
Andrews said something last week about not dwelling on the past, so hopefully Dizzy can usher in a new golden era.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That is a little unfair. That 'crowd' would not have dreamt that JG was anywhere near our radar.

That 'crowd' were also overlooking a deeply concerning culture at Surrey that either a) developed under his watch or b) he had 5 years to discover and do something about.

I would rather have had Yardy.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
That is as maybe...but with our recent outlook and appointments..I guess JG was a wistful thought only. Your argument against Adams may be entirely fair but using the JG appointment to rebuke the Adams crowd was unfair. By all means take the debate to them with what you have just opined on.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That is as maybe...but with our recent outlook and appointments..I guess JG was a wistful thought only. Your argument against Adams may be entirely fair but using the JG appointment to rebuke the Adams crowd was unfair. By all means take the debate to them with what you have just opined on.

Believe me I did.

Couldn't be happier with this appointment though and you are right I don't think anyone thought it would happen.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Really surprised. Happily surprised. Not sure how they've pulled this one off.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
That is a little unfair. That 'crowd' would not have dreamt that JG was anywhere near our radar.
Indeed. I'm sure we would have fancied Trevor Bayliss if we thought he'd take the job!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Boom! We are BACK, baby!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here