Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which striker/strikers would you aim to bring in this summer?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A
I'll say it again, and I will keep on saying it.
Jonathan Soriano (29)
Spanish Striker plays for Red Bull Saltzberg
Top Scorer in Austrian Bundesliga 31 goal in 28 games
GET HIM IN.
BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES!

View attachment 64337

Will go to Leeds surely ???

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
That is entirely correctt. Yes we turned down Ian Wright when he was playing for Greenwich. It is a myth about turning down Roy Keane he came to us on trial with Paul McCarthy but weng home after a couple of days as he was homesick, he didnt complete his trial as Paul did. The then Chief Scout also turned down a recommendation of mine as being too small to make it in the pro game. That was Trevor Stevens who was a youngster at Burnley prior to playing for Everton, Monaco Rangers and England. He wasnt a striker though.

Roy Keane got a phone call the night before he was due to travel over to England for his trial with us. Someone at the club had found out how tall he was then called him and told him not to bother coming. That was in his book and was very much the story I was told by the fella who was sent out to Ireland to scout him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Roy Keane got a phone call the night before he was due to travel over to England for his trial with us. Someone at the club had found out how tall he was then called him and told him not to bother coming. That was in his book and was very much the story I was told by the fella who was sent out to Ireland to scout him.

That isnt how the other scouts told me they told me he came over and was homesick so went home. That .wouldnt have done his macho image any good though in his book. Not a big enough point for the accuracy to concern the club so we should call it a stalemate with our own views on which version to believe.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
That isnt how the other scouts told me they told me he came over and was homesick so went home. That .wouldnt have done his macho image any good though in his book. Not a big enough point for the accuracy to concern the club so we should call it a stalemate with our own views on which version to believe.

Keane wouldn't have mentioned it if he wasn't bitter about it. The Club would be too embarrassed to admit it themselves....have a think about it with an open mind

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Keane wouldn't have mentioned it if he wasn't bitter about it. The Club would be too embarrassed to admit it themselves....have a think about it with an open mind

[MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] Him and Ian Wright are still somewhat resentful about the way they were treat by the club in the past. I can assure you that he never trained with us, regardless of what you heard.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The loan we should have gone for who would have made a difference is Challaboah of Chelsea who went to Reading or Josh McReachan.

Or maybe Patrick Bamford, the Chelsea striker on loan at Boro. 15 goals...

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Yes I know, I was just commenting on how much I think PB would cost a potential buyer.

Given that Patrick Bamford has now proved himself at Championship level, presume Chelsea would intend to loan him to a low level Premiership Club next season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Chris Martin although a decent striker comes with a lot of ''off field'' problems and had to leave Norwich. Our current scouts know the French and Dutch leagues very well so maybe that's an option but as mentioned in a previous post I think he will go for a tried and tested Championship striker or look to find a good young loanee from a Premiership club.

This all sounds good. Akpom would do for me (failing that James Wilson), but signed on loan for a whole season. Whole season loans work, short term loans don't. Would be good if we got one young PL loanee, and one decent signing too.

Canary

May 21, 2014
Your comment about Martin is a tad wise after the event. CH probably didn't think Martin was the striker to keep Norwich in the PL, and probably had to move him out once he'd signed Hooper, RvW, etc. I suspect that he was probably right about Martin, but wrong about Hooper, RvW, etc.
There's one player that he's signed permanently for us, and Kayal is the business, and was bought on the cheap. We need to sign three central/wide forward players, and they need to be top notch. That will be the key to how to judge CH on his transfer dealings. For what it's worth, Best looks like a decent player, who's not terribly bright. He did two things yesterday that were extremely poor: he didn't close down Ruddy, when we might have got a corner out of it, or even prevent him from wasting time; he then berated the linesman. Beyond that, his movement and hold-up play yesterday which pretty good, although most people's views have been coloured by the first two things (and Best giving cause for such interpretations in earlier games).

I'm not a great fan of Hughton but would like to point out Martin was essentially frozen out under Lambert and proved he wasn't upto the PL

Hughton's record of signing strikers at Norwich includes some good players - he just didn't have a clue how to use them properly

Canary

May 21, 2014
Also had to chuckle seeing Hooper/Jerome mentioned as potential signings - even if they were available (which they won't be), think they'd want to be at a higher championship club than Brighton - and very much doubt Hooper would play under hughton again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here