Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some bets for 2017/18 football season

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You'd normally expect at least one of the relegated sides to go back up. Next season though, I don't think that will happen. All the relegated sides are shite. That said, I reckon Hull will fail in the play offs but the other two will be lucky to make the top ten.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think Middlesbrough will do OK. Gibson threw enough money at it before they got promoted and next season they will get Parachute payments into the mix. He's got a load of players good enough for the Championship but not for Premier. It's not like Sunderland who will lose Defoe and Pickford and keep all the overpaid gash. It will in part depend on who they get in as a manager but he tends to have a half decent record in that regard (notwithstanding Pardew is a candidate).

Anyway, This is what Gibson said the other day. He's certainly saying the right thing :

"There's only one place I want for this club and it's in the Premier League," he said.

"The club is well run and we're in a good financial state so we will have more resources going into next season than any other Championship club.

"We will smash the league next year. We want to go back up as champions."

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
League winners

Prem - Brighton
Champ - Burton
L1 - Plymouth
L2 - Forest Green
:moo:

Sky Bet will give me odds of 66,991,130/1 but it's 500,000 maximum payout, boooo.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's early days, obviously, but at the moment I can only see Middlesbrough bouncing straight back up. Norwich, Fulham and Boro to fight it out for the top three places.

Hull and Sunderland will struggle and flirt with the possibility of relegation.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Villa are the current favourites at 7s out of teams certain to play in championship next season.

Norwich at 10s is a good price

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Chelsea
Ipswich Town
Oxford United
Chesterfield
Tranmere Rovers

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
For Harry Redknapp to have taken the Birmingham job full time, I'd assume he was told he can spend millions, so they might be an each way shout.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Might have a few quid on Leicester to be relegated, Mharez is off for sure, think they might lose Vardy, and their back four looks shaky with Huth and Morgan exposed without Kante in front.

If they give Shakespeare the job full time they could be in too much trouble for someone else to get them out of it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For Harry Redknapp to have taken the Birmingham job full time, I'd assume he was told he can spend millions, so they might be an each way shout.

He'll want a squad of 50, all of them Premier league class, otherwise it won't be his fault if they don't go up. That said, he is the jammiest manager ever known in the history of the modern game. Surely his luck will run out at some point.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I think Middlesbrough will do OK. Gibson threw enough money at it before they got promoted and next season they will get Parachute payments into the mix. He's got a load of players good enough for the Championship but not for Premier. It's not like Sunderland who will lose Defoe and Pickford and keep all the overpaid gash. It will in part depend on who they get in as a manager but he tends to have a half decent record in that regard (notwithstanding Pardew is a candidate).

Anyway, This is what Gibson said the other day. He's certainly saying the right thing :

"There's only one place I want for this club and it's in the Premier League," he said.

"The club is well run and we're in a good financial state so we will have more resources going into next season than any other Championship club.

"We will smash the league next year. We want to go back up as champions."

That is a confident statement - will probably come back to bite him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I would fancy Villa quite heavily. I expect Bruce to have a good summer of signings and start strongly.

Sunderland will struggle to start with, Middlesborough less so and a good bet for promotion.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
He'll want a squad of 50, all of them Premier league class, otherwise it won't be his fault if they don't go up. That said, he is the jammiest manager ever known in the history of the modern game. Surely his luck will run out at some point.

Although he's obviously ridiculous and self-serving, I do think he's capable of getting good players to play well. I thought his Tottenham team were excellent to watch, for example. As you say, I'm sure he's taken the job on the basis that he'll be given millions to spend on a massive squad of experienced players. I don't expect them to go up, but I wouldn't be totally amazed if they did.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, that's all well and good but they're about to appoint PARDS, aren't they?!

Fulham (if they don't go up through to the play-offs) or Norwich for me.

Would also need to see who Norwich appoint of course.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Boro no longer have:
Nsue
Adomah
Rhodes
A Manager

They will almost certainly lose:
Gibson
Friend

And they're stuck with that odious **** Ramirez permanently.

Also seen that Pearson wants the job.

Mid table obscurity beckons.

I don't care for M'boro at all, but Steve Gibson's comments made it plain that they will spend big on the attacking parts of their squad. In addition, unlike other relegated clubs they have negligible bank debt and lack the internal politics/bitching of Villa and Sunderland.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Might have a few quid on Leicester to be relegated, Mharez is off for sure, think they might lose Vardy, and their back four looks shaky with Huth and Morgan exposed without Kante in front.

If they give Shakespeare the job full time they could be in too much trouble for someone else to get them out of it.

Mahrez will go, but they will have no CL distraction. Still plenty of outstanding players, good team spirit and an incredibly pacey counter attacking style. Position 8th to 12th beckons.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Norwich for me if they get a decent 25 goal forward and play Pritchard in his correct position all season and not leave him on the bench

Seeing as only one player in the top two leagues has actually managed to score 25 or more goals this season, I think Norwich may struggle to acquire such a player. :)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Forget about bets for the 2017/18 season and make some money tonight by lumping on a fired up Southampton to beat an out of sorts Man Utd. They will be hell bent on infliciting revenge after their cruel COC loss in February and ending their home season in style.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
A lot of people saying Villa. I picked up the local rag in the sandwich shop and it was once again saying that Bruce has £1 million for player transfer fees and must generate other funds from selling players. Other than Kodija I don't think they've got much in the way of saleable assets. Put it this way, they won't be getting much of the £12 million back they paid for Ross McCorFat. Unless they have a load of players out of contract (and I haven't checked) I really can't see where they are going to get the players to get 30 odd more points they need next year. Bruce is good but he's no miracle worker.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here