Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Lewes bonfire parking etc

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Looking forward to drinking all day and marching for Commercial!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I believe you can't park in Lewes at all without a permit on 5th, no matter what time the roads close.

Leaving aside the 4th/5th bit, I believe you to be wrong on this point As I said above, a lot of the town is still open during the day, so they're not going to want to restrict trade. What is true is that there is no parking on the procession route, so residents will have to move their cars to other areas in that zone. Thus this will mean less or no parking for people without permits, but it is still a free for all. I also believe it is the case that the parking meters are taken out of use, due to the possibility of being blown up and as a result any council run car park or street is fair game for free parking (again, as long as it's not on the procession route).

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Why parked UP? What's the "up" all about? What's wrong with "get there for 3pm, park and head into town ..."

You’re absolutely right. Having now read both versions. I agree that yours reads much better than mine.. thank you for your feedback :bowdown:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It is so sad to see the demise of a great Sussex tradition. I can recall the days when 100-120K turnout was not untypical....and nobody died.

A contact at one of the bonfire societies has said that the lockdown of the town has nothing to do with the council, the traders or the residents. They said that It is all down to the police refusing to provide the resources to police it. Hence the trains not stopping and the roads being closed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Leaving aside the 4th/5th bit, I believe you to be wrong on this point As I said above, a lot of the town is still open during the day, so they're not going to want to restrict trade. What is true is that there is no parking on the procession route, so residents will have to move their cars to other areas in that zone. Thus this will mean less or no parking for people without permits, but it is still a free for all. I also believe it is the case that the parking meters are taken out of use, due to the possibility of being blown up and as a result any council run car park or street is fair game for free parking (again, as long as it's not on the procession route).

http://www.lewes.gov.uk/tourism/22423.asp

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Saw loads and loads of fireworks going off rapidly in Lewes a couple of Saturdays ago.

Did a box get set off early ?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
46ecffc39cb12cce926c415dedb4d768--tv-show-quotes-the-league.jpg

You'll upset the locals if you are an out of towner.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Saw loads and loads of fireworks going off rapidly in Lewes a couple of Saturdays ago.

Did a box get set off early ?

Neville bonfire is suspect.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
The authorities and especially the police should be ashamed of themselves - public servants start to dictate how we should live our lives . There used to be trains back from lewes until 2 in the morning - no one ever got hurt in the station queue . Lets hope there is a campiagn to re-instate trains fro 2018 - start it now

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Same again this year ! Update from Sussex police , thought they would get it in early and bury it under the world cup fever maybe ....

Road closures from 16.45pm on 5 November 2018

A27 junction with A277 Brighton Road (Ashcombe Roundabout)
A27 junction with A26 (Southerham Roundabout)
A26 junction with B2192 Ringmer Road (Earwig Corner)
C7 Kingston Road junction with C324 Wellgreen Lane
A275 Offham Rd junction with B2116 Plumpton Road
A27 junction with Southerham Lane (Cliffe Industrial Estate)

Parking restrictions will begin to be imposed from noon. More information will follow closer to the event.

Rail travel

Following meetings with local groups including Parish Councils and Lewes District Council, the multi-agency group is taking seriously concerns about the impact this will have on those not involved in the event.

This has to be balanced against the real concerns for public safety on one day of the year.

In principle, the group has agreed that no trains will call at Lewes, Falmer, Glynde, Southease or Cooksbridge from 5pm on 5 November 2018 until the first timetabled trains on the morning of 6 November 2018.

However it is further investigating whether adjustments to this plan can be safely implemented to help commuters get home around 5pm.

https://lewesbonfire2018.blogspot.c...r&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Same again this year ! Update from Sussex police , thought they would get it in early and bury it under the world cup fever maybe ....

Road closures from 16.45pm on 5 November 2018

A27 junction with A277 Brighton Road (Ashcombe Roundabout)
A27 junction with A26 (Southerham Roundabout)
A26 junction with B2192 Ringmer Road (Earwig Corner)
C7 Kingston Road junction with C324 Wellgreen Lane
A275 Offham Rd junction with B2116 Plumpton Road
A27 junction with Southerham Lane (Cliffe Industrial Estate)

Parking restrictions will begin to be imposed from noon. More information will follow closer to the event.

Rail travel

Following meetings with local groups including Parish Councils and Lewes District Council, the multi-agency group is taking seriously concerns about the impact this will have on those not involved in the event.

This has to be balanced against the real concerns for public safety on one day of the year.

In principle, the group has agreed that no trains will call at Lewes, Falmer, Glynde, Southease or Cooksbridge from 5pm on 5 November 2018 until the first timetabled trains on the morning of 6 November 2018.

However it is further investigating whether adjustments to this plan can be safely implemented to help commuters get home around 5pm.

https://lewesbonfire2018.blogspot.c...r&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn

Waaaaaay over the top on a Monday IMHO. Can just about understand why they did it at a weekend (though not really).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Falmer? How on earth is Falmer included? No-one is going to walk from Falmer to Lewes on a November evening

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Falmer? How on earth is Falmer included? No-one is going to walk from Falmer to Lewes on a November evening

We came back in the coach from Bristol City and after the Amex drop off we headed back to Polegate and there were 100's walking and cycling along the footpath beside the A27

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here