Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nominations for Sports Personality of the year 2016

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Andy Murray is a spectacular achiever in British sport and deserves to have won this title on more than one occasion, but I do wonder what else Mo Farah has to do to win.

He is the double double Olympic and World champion at 5,000m and 10,000m. An almost unheard of individual sporting achievement, of exceptional brilliance. Sorry to say, that I think if Mo was white (think Cram, Coe, Foster) and not born in Mogadishu he'd probably have won this award already.

I would love Mo to win as well but when you think that in the past year Murray has won Wimbledon, Olympic gold and most of all knocked someone like Djokovic off ''World No1'' then its hard to see past Murray winning it.

Mo is unfortunate that his big achievements only come along in Olympic years he has been very unlucky that in those years, others have matched or bettered his achievements

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It should be renamed Sportsperson of the Year, Murray seriously is not a personality, however he is the best sportsperson in the country, bar none.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The award lost all credibility after Ryan Giggs won it for being nothing more than a long standing Moan Utd player.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
If SPOTY is a one-man (Murray) show his year then fair enough. But don't forget there are other awards up for grabs. Surely Mr Pardew will get 'Coach of the Year' on the basis of consistency over the calendar year 2016??

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
You, BG, are not 'most people'. Cycling is hugely popular, as evidenced by previous winners. You don't like it. So what?

Not sure that i agree. Cycling is certainly mass participation, but the lack of coverage coupled with most people doing it out of necessity/fitness (and not as a 'sport') means that cycling as a sport does not have a following as large as footy/rugby/tennis/cricket etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure that i agree. Cycling is certainly mass participation, but the lack of coverage coupled with most people doing it out of necessity/fitness (and not as a 'sport') means that cycling as a sport does not have a following as large as footy/rugby/tennis/cricket etc.
If you have access to a decent amount of coverage of footy/rugby/tennis/cricket, then you have access to the coverage of more days of cycling than all of those other sports.
The fact that you clearly don't watch Eurosport doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
If you have access to a decent amount of coverage of footy/rugby/tennis/cricket, then you have access to the coverage of more days of cycling than all of those other sports.
The fact that you clearly don't watch Eurosport doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I think that 0.3% of UK tv market share kind of detracts from your argument.

Plus i do watch Eurosport, i enjoy cycling, plus i am presently surrounded by around 50 cycling journalists and digital tech teams who tend to agree.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think that 0.3% of UK tv market share kind of detracts from your argument.

Plus i do watch Eurosport, i enjoy cycling, plus i am presently surrounded by around 50 cycling journalists and digital tech teams who tend to agree.

Nobody watching is a very different issue to a 'lack of coverage'.

You can't properly watch any of the other sports with Sky TV.
You can't properly watch cycling without EuroSport.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I hope he doesn't, because we'll have to give it to him each time he wins Wimbledon, which I hope happens a few more times!

Would much prefer Mo this time, especially as it's probably the end of the fairytale

I agree with Mo, It's a tough call because Murray is world number now and that is current news but assume it's one or the other for the award.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here