Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Centre mid

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I actually quite liked what I saw from Propper, yes he made some mistakes but at least he was prepared to take the ball and try and pass it and go forward. It was a massively tough game for all the players but I think he and Stephens will both be fine.

However, after that game and Kayal's injury, I do think it's essential that we sign another defensive centre midfielder. One that likes to tackle and get around the pitch - the type of player I think Neto is. In the games against teams like City, I think we will need to go in with Stephens, Propper and this more defensive centre mid. I think this is as important as signing a striker now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does Sidwell not fit that role although prone to give away free kicks just outside the box as are most DM. Are you talking somebody like Gareth Barry who Stoke want and nothing to do with the fact he was ours as a youngster. Or are you talking a 25 year old better version of Bridcutt.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I actually quite liked what I saw from Propper, yes he made some mistakes but at least he was prepared to take the ball and try and pass it and go forward. It was a massively tough game for all the players but I think he and Stephens will both be fine.

However, after that game and Kayal's injury, I do think it's essential that we sign another defensive centre midfielder. One that likes to tackle and get around the pitch - the type of player I think Neto is. In the games against teams like City, I think we will need to go in with Stephens, Propper and this more defensive centre mid. I think this is as important as signing a striker now.

Me too, on a couple of occasion Propper burst forward and carried the ball well, something none of our our central players are capable of.

He has been with us a few days and thrown into the City game, its no real suprise he was struggling a bit. I suspect he will be all the better for it in the long run and expect decent things from him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With Kayal's injury we are light in numbers in central midfield.

Fear not, Groß could play there ! And Brown or Baldock take Groß's role !

Oh.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Absolutely right. But as usual a few on here are doing their best to embarrass themselves.

Man City are Champions League quality. Let's see how we do against teams that are just Premier League quality.

This. Look at the Premier League table last season. So many teams are much of a muchness outside of the top six and the bottom two. There's points to be had. And what do points make?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Yesterday showed that we desperately need a pacey striker to give us an outlet. Murray and Hemed aren't the answer other than off the bench

Is the correct answer. And having left our business so late AGAIN, we will have to give the new striker bedding in time. And then it's Christmas..............

mike1901

May 12, 2017
i actually quite liked what i saw from propper, yes he made some mistakes but at least he was prepared to take the ball and try and pass it and go forward. It was a massively tough game for all the players but i think he and stephens will both be fine.

However, after that game and kayal's injury, i do think it's essential that we sign another defensive centre midfielder. One that likes to tackle and get around the pitch - the type of player i think neto is. In the games against teams like city, i think we will need to go in with stephens, propper and this more defensive centre mid. I think this is as important as signing a striker now.

agree

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Look! there's some tumbleweed blowing through your post [emoji23]
Not just a petal, a hilarious petal����������������������������

You've just reassured everyone that you're a petal.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Not just a petal, a hilarious petal����������������������������

You've just reassured everyone that you're a petal.
81a3f1baf2f37e2ba630d2e05ac528c6.jpg

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Wow. We're going to have to see a vast improvement on that display from Propper and Stevens to stand any chance. Almost invisible, terrible passing and barely put a foot in. Did we win one second ball?

Defence were immense though.

Our defence were immense because it consisted of Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Suttner, Marsh, Propper, Groß, Murphy & Stevens. :shrug:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
As soon as we momentarily lost our shape we were picked off and one nil down

Hughton was livid and gave the red water bottle a big kick - needed to do what we had done for 69 minutes for 95 minutes and not 69

Known as learning the hard way

A lot of teams will be wishing they only lost 2-0 to Citeh this season though

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Anyone with any footballing brain can see that today was not the result of the players in our midfield. There were structural issues all over the pitch due to how Hughton set up, which basically left our midfielders without an out ball every time they needed to make a pass. Add that to the fact that Hughton's set up managed to leave us a man down in midfield up against City's fluidity and it's clear that there's not actually much more the two lads in that area of the pitch could've done.

Is the right answer, we have to give up something playing the top side and this was it. We are going to have plenty of games like this against the top side and setting up like we did will pay dididends in other games. Hughton knows what he is doing, that was a decent display. On a different day with a bit more luck we could have got something from the game. Lets face facts here we are looking at nicking the odd points off the top teams in this division because we can't compete financially.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here