Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(Good Old) Sussex By The Sea

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Have any of you persistent "win the cup" singers ever noticed that massive "STAND OR FALL" banner at the back of the North Stand? It's the most important sentiment of the song, so why insist on leaving it out just because Norman Wisdom did a jokey version?

Because of reason already explained by me. Stand or Fall was the version sung by the Sally Army officers. Up for the cup was the North Stand version.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I love the way they cut the music for the last part, leaving just the power of the voice. I tend to always look over to the away fans to see if they're watching in silence or ruining it by singing their own songs!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For anyone who knows their history, it is an incredibly moving anthem and words that the Albion have adopted to pay homage to those lads from sussex who originally sang it during the first world war.

It beats the shit out of a certain song from a 40's american musical that was covered by a 60's band and is now held up as some sort of emotional football chant.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
This must be a joke.

Why a joke?? The club have had x number of years to change the words, haven't they?

Why have they only been changed in the new shiny stadium?

Going up to win the Cup.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
This is a joke, I assume?

Why a joke?? The club have had x number of years to change the words, haven't they?

Going up to win the Cup.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Norman Wisdom famously re-wrote the lyrics to Brighton and Hove Albion's anthem, Sussex by the Sea, and was regularly on the pitch at The Goldstone Ground singing it and whipping the crowd into a frezy before kick off.

Oh we`re the team from Brighton
Hove by jove thats us
We`re always fair we never swear
But now its sh*t or bust
So shout you fans let`s hear you roar
Clap your hands until we score
For we`re going up to win the cup

Read more: http://www.bha.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=520618#ixzz4pjtCXGCe

NO! NO! A million time no! He wrote "Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup", meaning that it was possible to win the Cup and get promoted . 'Going up TO win the Cup' was only adopted for the 1983 Cup Final, and for reasons that are utterly beyond me has stayed in vogue. (Although I'm guessing it's only sung by fans with a poor grasp of English who don't realise that what they're singing doesn't actually make any sense).

There's an old black and white clip of him singing it.

EDIT: Which I notice you've posted. Listen to the lyrics, man.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You can tell those who have and haven't been born and bred in Sussex

Stand or Fall - Pre match
Win the cup - during the match

You can still only hear the "modern remixed" version in the NS not enough S&Fer's

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I have always known it to be going up and win the cup. It is strange the new people coming in and changing the words.

Because of reason already explained by me. Stand or Fall was the version sung by the Sally Army officers. Up for the cup was the North Stand version.

Going up to win the Cup.

This line is still belted out in the NS and at every away game in the 200mph terrace version after singing the verse on point, and i'm sure it will continue this season even though it makes absolutely zero sense.

The anthem at the start of our home games should be the words of the actual song, which is a hell of alot more poignant than Wisdom's version. I just can't fathom the stubbornness, some change is for the better.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
The original Stand or Fall has much more history than Win the Cup. Not to mention they are the true words and much more emotional.

I agree it has more history. First match 1968, as for as far back as I can remember I have only ever sung Win the cup version.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Who was the bloke that did the PA at the Goldstone in the 70s? Good old days, Sussex by the Sea, Mark Lawrenson, Peter Ward, cheese and branston sandwiches, jumpers for goalposts, isn't it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here