Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baker Street: Brighton's Best Kept Secret?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Many things to recommend Baker Street, but that boozer really isn't one of them.

had my first pints in there for quite a few years the other day,had a couple pints of "Tom Paine" an excellent IPA from the Harveys stable , how wonderful it tasted , and how nice it was to be in a PUB again, one not painted in Battleship grey , and being surrounded by WOOD , (that untarnished brown stuff) ,and not a load of asses !
Always been full supported by convivial locals, and a good spot for watching the football and Racing too
LONG LIVE THE MITRE TAVERN !

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
, and how nice it was to be in a PUB again, one not painted in Battleship grey , and being surrounded by WOOD , (that untarnished brown stuff)

Pretty sure the pubs that use this colour would call it French country grey. Nothing as common as battleship grey!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Working in London Road a visit to Bangers is on the lunch list at least once a week. The Beano pie and the Lamb and mint pie are my top 2 choices. At Christmas they produce a large xmas pie with sliced turkey breast, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce. :drool:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
had my first pints in there for quite a few years the other day,had a couple pints of "Tom Paine" an excellent IPA from the Harveys stable , how wonderful it tasted , and how nice it was to be in a PUB again, one not painted in Battleship grey , and being surrounded by WOOD , (that untarnished brown stuff) ,and not a load of asses !
Always been full supported by convivial locals, and a good spot for watching the football and Racing too
LONG LIVE THE MITRE TAVERN !

This.
I recollect a chap popping in asking what food was on. He appeared somewhat unimpressed with the deadpan offer between two varieties of pork scratching and left as quickly as he arrived. Never change Mitre Tavern!

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Used to be a fantastic record shop down there, can't remember the name? And a home brew shop, and baker st bikes, and the coop department store so definitely going downhill :(

I walk down Baker St to work every day - pretty sure the record shop is still there, and Baker St Bikes 100% is still there...

Not all going downhill!

Pies from Bangers are brilliant, but only the savoury ones, had a fruit one before and it wasn't as good at the meat ones

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I walk down Baker St to work every day - pretty sure the record shop is still there, and Baker St Bikes 100% is still there...

100% it's not - Baker St Bikes is on York Place.

The Mitre is one of the joys of Brighton, definitely my favourite pub in town - it's like stepping back in time.

I miss the old deli at the top though, used to sell the best coffee in Brighton. I stopped there every week after shopping in the market - not found anything to replace it with

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Suddenly struck me today as I was leaving Bangers pie shop with two hearty chicken 'n' mushroom pies AND a serious sausage roll AND change from a fiver, what an absolute quality street is Baker Street. For those poor unfortunates that don't know it, it's just off London Road and behind the Open Market. In this one street you've got aforesaid glorious Bangers pie shop, PLUS unreconstructed Harveys pub The Mitre Tavern. PLUS Brighton's best pet shop A Coombs. PLUS Brighton's best fish'n'chip shop Bardsley's. PLUS Jools (and Geordie Paul) splendid barbershop. PLUS a very decent picture framing shop. And that's all just off the top of me head.

If you've not been, go soon, before it gets swallowed up in the jaws of gentrification. We won't see its like again.

Paul is from Middlesbrough.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The record shop is still there. Its called Monkey Music Emporium.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went in there an asked for a wasp.

Assistant: Sorry - we don't sell wasps,
Me: Well, you've got one in the window.

Useless!

I got stung by a bee last week. £7.50 for a jar of his honey!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
That whole London Road area has for years been a dump, it has improved over the last 3 years but the London Road area is still not exactly a desirable area to live but not the absolute dump that it used to be. So no not Brighton's best kept secret unless you are a student perhaps

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I went into Coomb's and said, 'I want to buy a wasp.'

'Sorry sir, we don't sell wasps', said the shopkeeper.

'But you've got one in the window', I replied.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I prefer Oxford Street, which, in memory was my getaway route having pilfered from Fine Fare. "I paid at the other end." I'd monotonously say as I went out with a bloated paw full of custard tarts.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I went into Coomb's and said, 'I want to buy a wasp.'

'Sorry sir, we don't sell wasps', said the shopkeeper.

'But you've got one in the window', I replied.

Blimey! Coombs really SHOULD stock wasps, they'd do a roaring trade. You're the third prospective customer on this thread alone :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here