Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Windows 10 is ok, don't think you need an m/s account. You can use Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides for ant doc type work ... all free.

This is true (as is Chappers' posting below this one!) but if you are going to consider this option why not make the jump to a Chromebook - cheaper, very fast and so much easier to use, update etc than Windows 10

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
That's the point, though. Linux will run on an old laptop that Windows will just die on.

If you have a friend other than the village idiot, you should be able to work it out, and save a bundle on software and a new laptop.

Thanks for the advice but the Laptop really has seen better days. As well as the software problems, the casing is cracked, the battery's knackered and the screen is developing a slightly dark patch in the bottom corner, apart from all that it's in tip top condition! :lol: :lol:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
This is true (as is Chappers' posting below this one!) but if you are going to consider this option why not make the jump to a Chromebook - cheaper, very fast and so much easier to use, update etc than Windows 10

Never had any dealings with a Chromebook, sounds good from what you say, may consider this option.
Thanks

greengull

Sep 5, 2003
Just dont buy one from Currys as they will lie and bamboozle the unwary into buying extras they dont need.
I recommended a nice win10 Lenovo i3 at Currys for £350 for my parents, and they left the shop having paid £590 for installation, extra software (Word and McAfee).
I was livid, and went back with them 1 hour later and they refused to budge, saying they had already installed the software.
They gave the impression that the laptop did not have windows 10 on it, when it did.
Partly my mistake in not going to buy it for them myself and doing the easy installation.
Wont be buying from Currys again if they think old people are just cash cows to be ripped off

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Just dont buy one from Currys as they will lie and bamboozle the unwary into buying extras they dont need.
I recommended a nice win10 Lenovo i3 at Currys for £350 for my parents, and they left the shop having paid £590 for installation, extra software (Word and McAfee).
I was livid, and went back with them 1 hour later and they refused to budge, saying they had already installed the software.
They gave the impression that the laptop did not have windows 10 on it, when it did.
Partly my mistake in not going to buy it for them myself and doing the easy installation.
Wont be buying from Currys again if they think old people are just cash cows to be ripped off

And this is my big worry and why I am asking advice of the good people on NSC. I'm not a complete dooddery old fool (64 so i'm getting there!) and am very anti salesman but on computer tech I would easily be tied up in knots by some smartarse in Currys/PC World. Whatever I end up choosing I will either buy it online or from Argos. :thumbsup:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Personally for me Windows 10 is a great operating system, a step up from Windows 7 imo and I really liked that too. I can't compare to OS X because I've not really used that much though due to the expense of Mac hardware (I build my own PCs). You don't need a Microsoft account - but if you do (I have one as I wanted Office for the kids to do homework etc and wanted to ensure 100% compatibility with what they had at school) you have the choice of whether you want to tie it into your Windows 10 account or not. The only thing you really need a Microsoft account in Windows 10 as far as I can remember is Microsoft's Windows App store, which you may find useful but I don't use at all.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Personally for me Windows 10 is a great operating system, a step up from Windows 7 imo and I really liked that too. I can't compare to OS X because I've not really used that much though due to the expense of Mac hardware (I build my own PCs). You don't need a Microsoft account - but if you do (I have one as I wanted Office for the kids to do homework etc and wanted to ensure 100% compatibility with what they had at school) you have the choice of whether you want to tie it into your Windows 10 account or not. The only thing you really need a Microsoft account in Windows 10 as far as I can remember is Microsoft's Windows App store, which you may find useful but I don't use at all.

Thankyou for the advice.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
And this is my big worry and why I am asking advice of the good people on NSC. I'm not a complete dooddery old fool (64 so i'm getting there!) and am very anti salesman but on computer tech I would easily be tied up in knots by some smartarse in Currys/PC World. Whatever I end up choosing I will either buy it online or from Argos. :thumbsup:

Tesco Direct is worth looking at - I've had some decent deals for non-leading-edge tech.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here