Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Referee Jon Moss, watching MotD, in his Chelsea pyjamas.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can't believe the motd pundits, but for different reasons. The first penalty was NOT offside (the pundits reckoned it was). There's no debate about that, the rules of the game are completely clear that if the opponent plays the ball, the attacking player is not offside. The fact that Kane was in an offside position when the first pass was played is irrelevant, as the player doesn't become active until he receives the ball. However, for me the issue is that there was barely any contact by the goalkeeper on Kane and the penalty should not have been given for that reason. The second pen was absolutely clear. It was a hefty kick by VD on the Spurs player.

that’s incorrect, you’re active as soon as you have any influence on the play.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Moss has very obviously been told off after the fiasco at the Amex - and his assistants have obviously been told to help him out too. The first one was offside, the second one a definite penalty.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Moss has very obviously been told off after the fiasco at the Amex - and his assistants have obviously been told to help him out too. The first one was offside, the second one a definite penalty.

The second one offside too? And not 'definitely' a penalty, I think you can say it was, but there was nothing definite about it. You are allowed to make contact in football, the laws of the game are still that contact has to be deemed as reckless, careless or excessive. I think VVD pulls out of an attempted kick, and Lamela should be strong enough to stay on his feet. Can see why it was given, can see why you'd say it was a penalty, but it's not for me, at most you might say it was careless, but even then the contact is minimal.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Jon Bleeding Moss

So Moss denies us two clear cut penalties v Chelski, but give Spurs two debatable pens v Liverpool

:wanker:

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
Only thing Roger east got wrong was not sending off cresswell for the two footed lunge which was similar to Britos against knockaert when we played Watford away

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Only thing Roger east got wrong was not sending off cresswell for the two footed lunge which was similar to Britos against knockaert when we played Watford away

He didn't even book the assault on Bong in the first couple of minutes, dreadful challenge I thought.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
He didn't even book the assault on Bong in the first couple of minutes, dreadful challenge I thought.

agreed......without reading too much into it......given the situation at West Ham re African players, am I being cynical thinking that the 'assault' was on our only African player ??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm also not convinced by the first - Kane was looking for it and took what he could. My view is clouded by hearing him interviewed this evening where he said "If a goalkeeper goes down I'm not going to jump over him"
Annoying as that is, that's what strikers do, and you basically accept that if your keeper goes in like that they get the ball or it's a penalty. We've seen it hundreds of times where a striker will put all their effort into making sure their trailing leg drags along the ground until they feel contact.

On a separate point for the first pen:
Linesman says to Moss that if the defender hasn't touched it, it's offside, and if the defender has, then it's a penalty. Moss says he doesn't know if the defender touched it and asks if there's anything on TV. He then says 'I'm giving the penalty'. Presumably an official gave him the signal via his radio that the defender touched the ball. So what, they're allowed to use TV footage and commentator comments when they feel like it?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by: •interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
•interfering with an opponent by:
•preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
•challenging an opponent for the ball or
•clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or
•making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
•gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
•rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
•been deliberately saved by any opponent
•A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Nope - you're wrong. here's the definition of having an influence on play:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
. interfering with an opponent by:
. preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
. challenging an opponent for the ball or
. clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or
. making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
. rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
. been deliberately saved by any opponent
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

*** Apologies previous poster! did not see you had posted exactly the same thing! ****

Kane did not do any of those things to become active. (he still dived though).

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
At the end of the day Jon Moss guessed that the Liverpool player played the ball for the 1st penalty, lucky for him he guessed correctly but surely that’s no way to referee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
VAR would've been interesting. Given the amount of debate even after the incidents have been micro-analysed though, I wonder if it would have made any difference. I think both penalties would have been given, and Lawro would still disagree with the first as he hasn't read the rule-book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here