Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Multi room speakers

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Serious question, as an aside, to sound experts.

Quality wise, whatever speakers you're using, is it better to play the music from eg. your phone and bluetooth it to a suitable speaker, stream a high quality music file (flac/wav) to your phone/tablet over wifi then b/t to relevant speaker or stream a slightly lesser quality sound from an online music provider?
No idea how much sound is lost through the media of b/t and wifi.

It's always better to play direct. I'd say download only flac/wav and if possible direct play via a mac mini ( [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] does this too i think) and then use sonos to play to other rooms. that way you've always got the lossless quality copy to fall back on while streaming tech catches up. We have Sonos Play 5 upstairs, it sounds good enough. Can't imagine there isn't degredation using wifi?

May 26, 2004
Hassocks
hi, team sonos all the way. BUT does anyone get albion commentary through BBC Sussex? I get a standard blocker message throughout the game and I've tried a number of reinstallations and suggested other tricks but to no avail.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
hi, team sonos all the way. BUT does anyone get albion commentary through BBC Sussex? I get a standard blocker message throughout the game and I've tried a number of reinstallations and suggested other tricks but to no avail.

Radio Sussex is not allowed to broadcast league games over its Internet stream. The only way you can listen via the Internet is by buying a subscription to Seagulls player. Very occasionally Radio 5 live will have commentary on a game that is broadcast over the Internet.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
whats wrong with just turning your speakers up, or do you all live in massive pads that cant hear music between rooms? why is this even a necessity? #teamluddite

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
You have over 65,000 tracks in your library!!!

Do you have Agadoo?

I have just under 350,000, and is getting larger. And yes, I do!!! We're team Bose here, although mainly because we inherited the father in laws old soundbar and my other half has a little Bose Bluetooth speaker deck thingy. They're great!!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Serious question, as an aside, to sound experts.

Quality wise, whatever speakers you're using, is it better to play the music from eg. your phone and bluetooth it to a suitable speaker, stream a high quality music file (flac/wav) to your phone/tablet over wifi then b/t to relevant speaker or stream a slightly lesser quality sound from an online music provider?
No idea how much sound is lost through the media of b/t and wifi.

I've never understood the need for people to use flac files, unless you are doing some solid music manipulation or editing. They are bulky as hell (Adele's 25 album rolled in at just under 2gb in flac). Just not worth it, because it's just not noticeable. A good quality wav file or an MP3 is more than sufficient imo

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I've never understood the need for people to use flac files, unless you are doing some solid music manipulation or editing. They are bulky as hell (Adele's 25 album rolled in at just under 2gb in flac). Just not worth it, because it's just not noticeable. A good quality wav file or an MP3 is more than sufficient imo

Good point, although I thought that a wav file was considerably larger than a comparable flac file.

Additionally I think the flac you're talking about is the higher res 24 192 when you can easily enjoy the 24 96 or even the basic flac where an album will roll in at about 500Mb.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Good point, although I thought that a wav file was considerably larger than a comparable flac file.

it is, FLAC is a compressed format. not sure how a CD can be 2GB either when the capacity of a CD tops out at around 700MB. maybe a DVD with with video?

and as to your question, its better to use the WAV/FLAC format locally as your internet stream will be much lower bitrate, so reducing the quality, albeit unnoticably for most the population. there's probably services for CD grade bitrates for those with golden ears who care. streaming through tablets and phones wouldnt be a great idea, more "processing" going on, but in principle wifi wouldnt lose any quality. bluetooth bandwidth is too low so you'd have loss of quality.

boik

This is the correct answer - How can there be a discussion on quality and the answer be a tinpot little speaker?

Indeed, none of these "convenience systems" comes close to my raspberry pi into my 30 year old Gale GS401As for sound quality. I guess ease of use and looks is the top requirement for some people, hence the rise of Apple.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed, none of these "convenience systems" comes close to my raspberry pi into my 30 year old Gale GS401As for sound quality. I guess ease of use and looks is the top requirement for some people, hence the rise of Apple.
I'm all for ease of use, but you can have both. Nothing wrong with a Sonos amp and proper speakers. And nothing wrong with Sonos speakers in some rooms either, but if you've got a room where you can sit down and listen properly, you're better off with your own speakers IMO.

A nice headphone setup is also quite lovely. Just got a new DAC/Amp which is unbelievably good.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd go as far to say Sonos is probably one of the best 'gadgets' I've ever bought. It is the height of automation and simplicity. Even my mum can use it, to use the Radio App, Spotify or browse the music library. Absolute game changer

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Kinda depends what it is you're after.

Sonos from a technical standpoint is excellent. Easy to setup and easy to use.

If you want something that sounds really good, you can't get any better than Bowers & Wilkins. Bose don't even come close in that regard.

Where do you typically store your music? If you play music via iTunes, you can stream to multiple speakers over AirPlay. It's a little more clunky than Sonos but oh my, the sound is incredible.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here