Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon best [signs on a half-year loan]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not overwhelmed, but he seems to have had his best spell under CH's management before, so here's hoping CH can bring out the best in him now. I'd certainly rather have him than the other Leon we had back!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But is he Hughton's choice? . . . or just the best of what he was told he could sign? There is a big difference.

Why not both? Hughton's choice, but within a quite justifiably set budget. I'm sure CH would rather have Sanchez or Costa, but of course there are going to be budgets to be taken into consideration in the Championship.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Steve McLaren: "He has been an absolute gem - a model professional," McClaren said. "His attitude has been great every day. He has just been unfortunate that he has been behind Chris Martin, who has been incredible for the first half of the season."

I've heard that derby are after Glenn so this move frees up a space .

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Not overwhelmed, but he seems to have had his best spell under CH's management before, so here's hoping CH can bring out the best in him now. I'd certainly rather have him than the other Leon we had back!

All his 10 goals for Newcastle came in the Premier League, so I'd say it was more likely that it came under Pardew

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Plenty of moaning about this signing before the guy has even kicked a ball for us. Nothing unusual about that then.

Let's be realistic. There are very very few 20 goal a season strikers available. Those that are (or could be) are probably way out of our price range and, in any case, would probably not want to come to a club three places above the Championship relegation zone.

Based on our current position, obtaining a striker on loan who has previously played for our manager is probably not such a bad idea. Let's give the lad a chance and see what Chris can get out of him. I'm as critical as anyone about some of our players and the way this season has been managed by the club, but now is the time for some optimism and 100% support for the team.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Not writing the player off as that is ridiculous and will reserve judgement until he has a good number of games under his belt with us. What is a continuing frustration is the apparent lack of any long term strategy on the playing side. We played Derby in the playoffs and in the summer they went onto take that squad to the next level, we blew the whole thing to pieces.

The number of loans we have used recently is bordering on ridiculous and it leaves us re-building large parts of the squad every summer. Each window I want to feel like the club is building on something not knocking everything down and starting again every season.

It may be that the club have bigger ambitions in the summer but with ST renewals around the corner they are playing a dangerous game if they think people will continue to turn up in numbers to watch loan player A for 4 games before loan player B steps in

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He has played 240 times and scored 54 goals in his career. Not a good return for a striker, we already have Strikers who cant score why bring in another?

We have replaced Ulloa with dross and loan signings.

Actually, we sign players who score lots of goals (see. CMS, Baldock, O'Grady) and they don't look like scoring any time soon. Why not try the opposite? Sign someone who doesn't have a good record scoring and hopefully they'll fly!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Gus was spot on with his dislike of the loan system. Since he's left we've relied more and more on loan signings and got progressively worse as a team.

Gus hated loans so much he signed...

Bridge
Upson
Assulin
Razak
Hammond

I don't have a problem with loans, as long as they bring quality.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I've heard they ( derby ) want Glenn so it makes sense to free up a place .

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
If he ends up being a cross between Leon Knight and George Best then he'll do nicely.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
If Leon Best is the answer then what's the question?

Underwhelmed - yes, but not surprised. We were never going to be likely to afford a guy with a great goal scoring record especially in this window so he'll have to do.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Played at Newcastle when Shola Ameobi was there so perhaps he could be another striker signing but then his record of scoring is only 54 in 330 games so not as good average as Best.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
they are playing a dangerous game if they think people will continue to turn up in numbers to watch loan player A for 4 games before loan player B steps in

up til now our biggest crowd of the season was for loan player A (Darren Bent) against Fulham on his debut...
And Loan Player B (Best) is not here to play 4 games . its a half season loan.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Gus hated loans so much he signed...

Bridge
Upson
Assulin
Razak
Hammond

I don't have a problem with loans, as long as they bring quality.

Not all at the same time though. I have no issue with one or two quality loan signings to supplement the squad but we seem to have become heavily reliant on loanees this season. Much like we were during Adam's second reign at the club and we all know how we did that season.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Good luck to Best, he's going to need it, cause the main problem with the poor goal scoring IMO is not so much the strikers but the poor service to them and the lack of support they get. It's been the same since we moved to the Amex, a lack of support fron the m/f with at times 1 or 2 players in the box and the goals will be in short supply until CH solves this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here