Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Was so close to going into Wetherspoons and getting ****ed and debating whether to pay a visit to Severn bridge or not. Good thing I bumped into mates. Still feel terrible. There was a time where drinking helped. But now it doesnt. It just makes it worse. Why can't I just feel normal cause nothing that bad has ever happened to me.

Please get some help and there is no problem that alcohol can't make a whole lot worse

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I feel like I should've sorted my head out before committing to something like a degree.
I'm going on a wave, sometimes I feel absolutely fine, focused, driven and optimistic but this is only rarely.
Most of the time I question everything I do, I'm not sure whether I've made the right decision, I just criticise myself, and feel like shit, no motivation to do anything, nothing I learn goes in anymore.
Sometimes I feel like I'm only keeping myself here for other people, wouldn't want to put my family or friends through any grief.
I keep on meaning to get some support but when it comes around to it I feel fine, maybe I just need to pull myself together and it's all made up.
I just don't know anymore.

You should definitely speak to the University pastoral care team. You will not be the only person going through this and you're definitely not the first.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
I feel fine today but while I do, I am going to get help because I can't go on like this.
Who knows what I might do if I go through a bad day again.

Well done for seeking help, and best of luck.

It might be worth sticking the number for The Samaritans in your phone, so it's there should you need it in the future: 08457 90 90 90.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I feel fine today but while I do, I am going to get help because I can't go on like this.
Who knows what I might do if I go through a bad day again.

Good on you. A lot of people in your situation would rather project their issues onto others rather than seeking help. You're obviously an honest and brave person therefore it'll be a much easier ride for you to recover from such an horrendous illness.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was so close to going into Wetherspoons and getting ****ed and debating whether to pay a visit to Severn bridge or not. Good thing I bumped into mates. Still feel terrible. There was a time where drinking helped. But now it doesnt. It just makes it worse. Why can't I just feel normal cause nothing that bad has ever happened to me.

You mentioned staying at uni because you didn't want to put your family and friends through grief, but it's you that is important. Uni isn't the be all and end all of a career.
I know of three people who decided uni wasn't for them when they first went away, and so gave up, and all three of them have found a different path career that they are enjoying. One girl actually went back to college locally and got her degree that way.
Don't stay because of other people.
Ask for help, and when you feel better, if you feel you can cope with uni, then by all means continue, but don't carry on just because it might upset others.

Please get help.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
You mentioned staying at uni because you didn't want to put your family and friends through grief, but it's you that is important. Uni isn't the be all and end all of a career.
I know of three people who decided uni wasn't for them when they first went away, and so gave up, and all three of them have found a different path career that they are enjoying. One girl actually went back to college locally and got her degree that way.
Don't stay because of other people.
Ask for help, and when you feel better, if you feel you can cope with uni, then by all means continue, but don't carry on just because it might upset others.

Please get help.

I'm going to try and see if I can start again next year
Get done help at home and get a job for a while, I'm just not in the right frame of mind for something like a degree right now

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Please get some help and there is no problem that alcohol can't make a whole lot worse

I know, I really know it's an issue now because nothing has caused it it just sprung up on me. I seem to remember walking through the streets picking up bottles and throwing them at the floor in anger last night. That's not okay and I am not a violent person usually.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Get done help at home and get a job for a while, I'm just not in the right frame of mind for something like a degree right now

There's plenty of self employed jobs out there now where you won't have set hours which means if you have any really down days, you won't have to commit to work. Deliveroo and uber delivery are examples.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That's a positive step. Make sure you get the help and support that you need. Then you can take time to decide what to do next.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I know, I really know it's an issue now because nothing has caused it it just sprung up on me. I seem to remember walking through the streets picking up bottles and throwing them at the floor in anger last night. That's not okay and I am not a violent person usually.

I don't know enough about mental health problems, but it must be a positive sign that you accept you need help, a lot of people don't.

Good luck and keep in touch

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Keep talking mate, keep posting in here. Avoid the booze and caffeine. It's brilliant you are seeking help, you'll be okay.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
How are you doing today?

I feel okay today, it comes and goes, I felt fine for most of yesterday but felt like crap in the evening.
A lot of my problem now is that I'm getting annoyed at myself because I'm wasting another opportunity that has been thrown at me in my life because I feel a bit sad sometimes.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I feel okay today, it comes and goes, I felt fine for most of yesterday but felt like crap in the evening.
A lot of my problem now is that I'm getting annoyed at myself because I'm wasting another opportunity that has been thrown at me in my life because I feel a bit sad sometimes.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it you're studying?

Don't underplay what you're going through. It's not just a bit of sadness you're dealing with. It's your mind trying to kill you whilst your body is trying to live. Poor mental health is now the number one reason for staff absence in the UK. Don't feel like you're a failure.

Last edited:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
If you don't mind me asking, what is it you're studying?

Business Management with Accounting and Finance, I switched off Biology which is what I thought I would do before I came here.
Part of me wants to stick it out because finance is potentially something I want to do as a career. But I feel like I can go into it anyway without a degree, or just spend less money to do the same thing part time with Open University.
The university "experience" was great for a few days where I had no problems at all, but since they've all just blasted their way back into my life it's all just passed me by and I don't feel any emotion about it, not sure I feel I'll be missing out on anything if I go.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Who said you are wasting it? Don't berate yourself. Get the help you need and then see if you can cope with the course. There will be lots of opportunities in your life.

If you'd broken your leg, you wouldn't be moaning about not being able to walk to lectures, you'd get to hospital for treatment ie plastered up.
Your mind is struggling so get to a doctor/health professional and get help fixing your mind.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Who said you are wasting it? Don't berate yourself. Get the help you need and then see if you can cope with the course. There will be lots of opportunities in your life.

If you'd broken your leg, you wouldn't be moaning about not being able to walk to lectures, you'd get to hospital for treatment ie plastered up.
Your mind is struggling so get to a doctor/health professional and get help fixing your mind.

That is how I'm starting to think of it, but when I have my good days like today it all just feels a bit ridiculous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here