Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Southern Trains Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wouldn't it be lovely if Mrs May could get her expensively leather clothed arse of her sofa and take some kind of leadership on this ? She should re-brief Grayling to stop GTR from introducing deliberately provocative changes in procedures that push staff in to taking this action. GTR are making money and actually increasing profits I believe so, they should be told they are flogging a dead horse and further erosion of safety and staffing will lead to them being replaced.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Not a commuter are you?

No I'm not but the media always give unions a bad press when surely it's the company at fault . Southern tickets are so expensive and now they want to make driver only trains . I'm sure the savings won't be passed on to the customer and the drivers need to make a stand now or in the future their roles will be completely redundant with driverless trains

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes you can during the strike and it's best to avoid London Bridge at all costs.

If you want a bit of insider info into how to guarantee a seat on the Thameslink trains - go to St Pancras and head for the back end of the platform, she'll get a seat for sure. The Thameslink starts to fill up at Farringdon, the clever commuters walk up to City Thameslink rather than Blackfriars to get the last seats and then there's a mad scramble at Blackfriars.
This. I did that and there are seats aplenty on my current train to Three Bridges via Redhill.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You seem very confused. You posted:

Whatever your politics, to say "that is absolute crap" is to insult the intelligence of the thousands of commuters who have to put up with this every day and have simply had enough.

Get on your moralistic high horse if you want but don't drag the rest of us into it.

To which I replied:

Get off your own moralistic high horse, you don't speak for all of us affected by Southern Failways complete inability to provide a service, you're just spouting your personal opinion. It's just your own intelligence that's been insulted, clearly a quite straightforward task.

highlighting both the irony of your high horse accusation and the misplaced presumption that you are a spokesperson for all affected commuters and also alluding to the intellectual quality of a poster who could deliver such a curiously conflated confabulation.

To which you responded:

I am indeed spouting a personal opinion - I think both sides are equally to blame. If people don't agree with me fine. But it doesn't make me pig-headed or of limited intelligence just because I don't agree with you.

I'm glad you've corrected your original posit and admitted it's only your opinion. I made no reference to pig-headedness, that's a self-revelation. The reference to limited intelligence really is just straightforward cause & effect, action & reaction, observation & conclusion.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm glad you've corrected your original posit and admitted it's only your opinion. I made no reference to pig-headedness, that's a self-revelation. The reference to limited intelligence really is just straightforward cause & effect, action & reaction, observation & conclusion.

Nah. You can dress that up with as many polysyllables as you like but that's still a cheap ad hominem.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wouldn't it be lovely if Mrs May could get her expensively leather clothed arse of her sofa and take some kind of leadership on this ? She should re-brief Grayling to stop GTR from introducing deliberately provocative changes in procedures that push staff in to taking this action. GTR are making money and actually increasing profits I believe so, they should be told they are flogging a dead horse and further erosion of safety and staffing will lead to them being replaced.

well they dont, but that doesnt mean it isnt time the policy was changed as its not working. they can stop trying to reduce spending on rail and find the cash from somewhere else, as clearly its a priority service. if they must privatise, put it into a not for profit arrangment.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Nah. You can dress that up with as many polysyllables as you like but that's still a cheap ad hominem.

Only partially....he was posturing and I called him out.

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
Fair play to you pal. Sadly I think you are arguing against inevitability & therefore you will not win.

Whatever your motives (which I do respect) I do respect people who make a stand for what they believe in & do it for others.

However. I am stuck in the middle of this & enough is enough. Modernisation is happening whether you, I or we like it & change needs to be embraced & made to work for the better.

Frankly this is a massive stain on the south & the UK railway industry. I'm sure cart horses complained about tractors bit they've learned to live with it. We need to move with the times & deliver a modern service. I'm more interested whether they'll invest in the track than who says the train can leave. Slam door trains worked for years. I'm sure doo are much safer than them. That argument is floored

I must agree. Although I understand the issue, this situation is impacting on many peoples life's. I am self employed and most if my work is in London. I have worked successfully and competently for a number of years and for the first time ever I have lost 2 contracts because I could not guarantee that I could attend meetings due to the rail strike....l now have no contracts for the next 4 weeks and for my first time i am unemployed...before any one pipes up I've tried the coach and other possible ways of getting there. Please try to take into consideration the impact on others.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Set your alarm early and check on the day. A 10pm check as running means a 6.30am cancellation. Its happened NUMEROUS times over last few weeks. Build in plenty of **** up factor.

Flight is not until 1630 so I should be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
I must agree. Although I understand the issue, this situation is impacting on many peoples life's. I am self employed and most if my work is in London. I have worked successfully and competently for a number of years and for the first time ever I have lost 2 contracts because I could not guarantee that I could attend meetings due to the rail strike....l now have no contracts for the next 4 weeks and for my first time i am unemployed...before any one pipes up I've tried the coach and other possible ways of getting there. Please try to take into consideration the impact on others.

Thameslink trains are running normally to London, why can't you use them?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Thameslink trains are running normally to London, why can't you use them?

But they are not "running normally" unless you are saying the inevitbale delays and cancellations are normal in which case fine.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yeah nice.

Next time you fancy doing something on the spur of the moment, just like a day out for example because the sun happens to be shining...DON'T! Make sure you book at least 24 hours in advance instead.

I mean, why should you be able to enjoy the benefits of services the rest of the population has instant unplanned access to.

Unfortunately life isn't fair and can't always be completely equal , you're foolish to assume it can .

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
IN the seventies and eighties there were regular strikes by guards and drivers probably at some stage every year. Everyone coped .
This is only the second drivers strike on Southern in the last 23 years or so and yet people are having breakdowns and tantrums.
Obviously the spoilt brat generation or two can't cope with a bit of hardship.

Most of the country has moved into the 21st century although I realise part is still stuck in the 19th

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I worked in London for a couple of years in the eighties. and the strikes then were all out. Apart from today there has been a service on most of the network on the day of the guards disputes..

The fact you worked in London in the 1980s is evident in the ignorance of your comments. I too commuted to London in the 80s and still do now and I can tell you that there is no comparison. Since then there has been a vast increase in the number of people in transit from the south coast to London and the reliability of the services and the signals have seriously diminished . Every day is a challenge even when there is no strike action. On a good day when maybe just one rush-hour south coast train is cancelled that is still 1,000 extra people trying to cram on an already full next service. And there is a major human cost, for e.g. on a recent non-strike day train I saw a woman crying her eyes-out telling her friend she had promised her kids to be home on time for once to put them to bed, but of course our train was pulling into Brighton over an hour late.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here