Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Stephen Ward was ours for the asking all summer...........

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bennett varies between 5/10 to 7/10 for me

Ward was consistently and 8

Joke saga with Ward this summer though.

I personally like Joe Bennett a lot - he is great with the ball and has incredibly quick feet and skillz, as the kids probably say.

I'm not convinced that left-back position has been the chief cause of our shitness this season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Has anyone ever heard of gazumping? It happens in football too, believe it or not.

Yes, I know my post is patronising and simplistic, but it happens.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yes, I was.

Like Pompey did?

If it was easy for them why didn't they sign him during the prolonged period that we were supposedly procrastinating?

Maybe at that point (earlier on) he was expecting to come to us but ended up easier to tempt because we procrastinated

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, I was.

Like Pompey did?

If it was easy for them why didn't they sign him during the prolonged period that we were supposedly procrastinating?

Our financial style <===============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================> Pompey's back in the day.

I don't think we're QUITE near there, do you? There's a massive area inbetween. I'm hardly talking about doing a Forest or QPR.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe at that point (earlier on) he was expecting to come to us but ended up easier to tempt because we procrastinated

Maybe, probably, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

No one knows what would have happened if we'd reached agreement with Wolves earlier, but my belief is it would have laid down a marker for other clubs to beat, exactly as happened eventually. And if one of those clubs can offer Premier League riches and Match of the Day instead of the Football League Show, there tends to be an obvious outcome.

And, as above, is the left-back position really been that much of a contributory factor to our plight, particularly since Hyypia started to use defenders to defend?

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
I personally like Joe Bennett a lot - he is great with the ball and has incredibly quick feet and skillz, as the kids probably say.

I'm not convinced that left-back position has been the chief cause of our shitness this season.

Defensively he's not all that good. Tearing down the wing he looks decent but he's no-where near as defensively tight as Ward and tracking back he like the rest of the team sort of stroll back into position hoping and praying someone else will make that vital challenge.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And, as above, is the left-back position really been that much of a contributory factor to our plight, particularly since Hyypia started to use defenders to defend?

Again, the point isn't the left back position, but how it is indicative of our hilariously inept transfer recruitment policy, which has left us with 20,000 4ft midfielders who all do roughly the same thing.

That "none of the 7 Burke signings played last Friday" is still a pretty strong suggestion to the outside that all is definitely not well.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
This to me were the first warning signs about how we were going to do this season.

The (relatively derisory) fee we wouldnt pay yet we had already agreed the wages he was in effect ours.

But we dilly dallied over £200k for a full international proven at this level.

Lets be honest the warning signs were there for all to see.

exactly this. to do it once over a relatively small amount of money is forgivable, to do it over and over, ultimately at great cost, is unforgivable.

grabban: could have been our player for £1m ish goes after for £3m
clayton: we've got him, we've lost him, he wants to come here, he's definitely ours, he's gone
ward: hardly gazumped were we, we dicked him around

the list goes on on on.

what a mess, and as said here, it was looking bad before we kicked off.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But you need to get your defence right first, which is why Poyet and Garcia is successful. Bennett does not defend well, constantly ball watches, costing goals. This is being magnified due to our appalling midfield.

If we played a more rigid 4-4-2 Bennett would be better deployed in midfield.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think we're QUITE near there, do you? There's a massive area inbetween. I'm hardly talking about doing a Forest or QPR.

Even with the benefit of the hindsight we now have, I'm happy that the club pay players, and pay for players, what they believe is right for the club. If that means they sometimes miss out or sometimes overpay then so be it, but there has to be a process of attempting to determine value and worth, and acting within that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Even with the benefit of the hindsight we now have, I'm happy that the club pay players, and pay for players, what they believe is right for the club. If that means they sometimes miss out or sometimes overpay then so be it, but there has to be a process of attempting to determine value and worth, and acting within that.

And if it means we go down and have a half empty white elephant of a stadium in League One haemorrhaging money it won't matter because we'll have done things "the right way", right?

Principles are good, especially in football, a world with so few. They're not EVERYTHING though.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Do you believe this process is working? Even strictly financially? It seems distinctly like we regularly save a penny now to lose many pounds later

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And if it means we go down and have a half empty white elephant of a stadium in League One haemorrhaging money it won't matter because we'll have done things "the right way", right?

Principles are good, especially in football, a world with so few. They're not EVERYTHING though.

So true.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I think the club underestimates how much quality is worth. I also think they don't truly understand what level of player is required to get promotion.

I think Gus understood both of those things. And the number of pound notes required was too high for TB's liking.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Joe Bennett fits Hyypia's system better than Ward would have, ignoring how that system is not working whatsoever!

The only benefits in my opinion of signing Ward over Bennett is that keeping Ward would have added some more continuity to the defence, and he would have been our player rather than a loan. Not too fussed other than that.

Disagree. I have been thinking how well Stephen Ward would fit in our current way of playing. A young Peter Ward might not though we could do with one.

I have not been impressed with either Joe Bennett or Adam Chicksen.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Tony Bloom has gone on record to say we have the highest playing wage bill we have ever had, which would suggest the club haven't been penny pinching in the recruitment of players.

Tony Bloom decided to not meet the initial demands of Wolves for Stephen Ward.

Tony Bloom has made a lot of right decisions for this club - he'll make wrong ones too, being human and that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the club underestimates how much quality is worth. I also think they don't truly understand what level of player is required to get promotion.

I think Gus understood both of those things. And the number of pound notes required was too high for TB's liking.

Quite. Perhaps Bloom was shocked by just what it takes to get us where he wants us to go. Maybe we have to accept that the Prem isn't going to happen, and we're just going to tread water and lose shitloads of money yo-yoing between the Champ and League 1? The ONLY way Bloom is going to see any sort of return is if we spend a few seasons in the Prem.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This discussion is plain WIERD. People piling into the club for 'failing to agree terms' with Ward, or missing out due to 'not being prepared to pay what he wanted', when the club DID reach an agreement, that the player was happy to sign, and was ON HIS WAY to do so, when he got a call to say that he could double his money in the Prem.

What were the club supposed to have done when he had AGREED to accept what they had offered? Offer more, in case another offer came in before he got down the M6?

The reason, as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has alluded to, that Burnley came in late, is that the agent will have waited until the negotiations with us were complete, before making one final round of speculative calls, one of which hit the jackpot.

If we'd reached that agreement with Ward three weeks sooner, he still would have made those other calls.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Bit different, innit? Stephen Ward was actively saying he WANTED to be at the Albion and was willing to take a pay cut from his Wolves contract.
Which, tbf, we offered, he accepted terms, then he did a 180° turn on his way down for a medical when he got the call from Burnley at the last minute. There's a lot wrong behind the scenes, granted - but there's no telling whether the same would've happened whether we went for him on the first day he was out of contract or the last day before the window closed. I'd shine more of a light on the signings we have made rather than those we've missed - championship clubs will always be gazumped by premier league clubs. As Gus used to say, eez foohball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here