Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Stephen Ward was ours for the asking all summer...........

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are we genuinely the worst at player negotiation in the whole football league?

Murray, Barnes, Ward, Grabban, sure there's plenty others where we've completely ****ed it up over the sake of £1k a week or so.
Maybe negotiations aren't the clubs strong point.

Whereas when it comes to drawing a line in sand and not budging the club are the best.

It seems like the Albion are the only parents saying 'no' in Disneyland.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Agreed. I think he's a good player, and great to watch. Most of the percieved deficiencies highlighted by some ('constantly caught out of position', etc) are down to the impossible role asked of him, rather than actual weakness in his game.

Spot on, the same can be said for a couple of others as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maybe negotiations aren't the clubs strong point.

Whereas when it comes to drawing a line in sand and not budging the club are the best.

It seems like the Albion are the only parents saying 'no' in Disneyland.

We're going down, but it's ok, because we have good PRINCIPLES.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Are we genuinely the worst at player negotiation in the whole football league?

Murray, Barnes, Ward, Grabban, sure there's plenty others where we've completely ****ed it up over the sake of £1k a week or so.

Don't forget Clayton. David Burke, like Hyppia is taking a lot of flak, but do we know whether it is him who sets wage levels? In Grabban, Ward & Clayton players have been identified who would have made us stronger, but personal terms were not attractive enough. Is this down to Burke, or to a wage structure which has proved uncompetitive? This could be about FFP, but it seems to me that the club have had the view that they could get better value elsewhere. This gamble seems to have failed this year.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This to me were the first warning signs about how we were going to do this season.

The (relatively derisory) fee we wouldnt pay yet we had already agreed the wages he was in effect ours.

But we dilly dallied over £200k for a full international proven at this level.

Lets be honest the warning signs were there for all to see.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said Bennett is a long way from being what's wrong with the Albion.
But had Ward been in this team he certainly would have bought so much else we currently need, experience presence etc.
Not to mention some attacking quality.

Even under Sami's style I still don't see SW getting caught out like Bennett.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This to me were the first warning signs about how we were going to do this season.

The (relatively derisory) fee we wouldnt pay yet we had already agreed the wages he was in effect ours.

But we dilly dallied over £200k for a full international proven at this level.

Lets be honest the warning signs were there for all to see.

Spot on.

Ward is streets ahead of Bennett, the club should be embarrassed......... Still 'judge us at the end of the transfer window'........ Oh.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
People seem to be making a massive assumption that if we had committed/paid more earlier then no other club, such as Burnley, would have nipped in to snap him up. How do they know that?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
People seem to be making a massive assumption that if we had committed/paid more earlier then no other club, such as Burnley, wouldn't have nipped in to snap him up. How do they know that?

Weren't you personally quite surprised that we missed out on Ward?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
People seem to be making a massive assumption that if we had committed/paid more earlier then no other club, such as Burnley, wouldn't have nipped in to snap him up. How do they know that?

I think the point is Bozza, we seem to have narrowly missed out on/lost a LOT of players now, for the sake of often (allegedly) small amounts of money.

Sometimes you just have to break the bank to get quality in, don't you?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Nobody knows that. But we sure as hell didn't do our best to make him wanted & made it easy for them

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're going down, but it's ok, because we have good PRINCIPLES.
Something like that, yeah.
It won't be long before we are being told how unfair football is.

In other news the world is round and the sun comes up in the morning.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Weren't you personally quite surprised that we missed out on Ward?

Yes, I was.

I think the point is Bozza, we seem to have narrowly missed out on/lost a LOT of players now, for the sake of often (allegedly) small amounts of money.

Sometimes you just have to break the bank to get quality in, don't you?

Like Pompey did?

Nobody knows that. But we sure as hell didn't do our best to make him wanted & made it easy for them

If it was easy for them why didn't they sign him during the prolonged period that we were supposedly procrastinating?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
People seem to be making a massive assumption that if we had committed/paid more earlier then no other club, such as Burnley, would have nipped in to snap him up. How do they know that?

We don't. But we effectively had him at our mercy all season in terms of negotiation, as we all know often deals are done before the end of the season with signings taking place on 1st June/July.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here