Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"I'm in Brighton... what a shit hole. Seriously horrid."

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I give it 10 minutes before Sir.Albion tells you how brilliant Reading is because it has less students, queers and hippies than Brighton.
It was better than Brighton and let's not deny that Brighton has many weird people....but saying that everybody likes different types of places.

You know the rules!!!!!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
He's probably also reported back on the oversize dogs around the city, which have frightened and confused him.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The 'shithole' thing has been done to death. It's a reflection of its author rather than the subject- especially as Norwich fans are amongst the most pleasant and fair minded I've met.

If he had said it about Ipswich I'd understand. One should always reserve a small amount of prejudice in this enlightened age.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
To be fair he's got a point as most on here think Brighton is just amazing....It isn't by a long shot :)

Ok fair enough, in that Brighton isn't always all that it is cracked up to be. As with any larger city, it will have its less than desirable areas but I doubt very much that a Norwich fan, presumably just arrived today, will be in a proper position to make such a sweeping statement. It sounds very much like a throw-away line with little real thought.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Brighton and Norwich have much in common - wonderful history, culture and architecture - although Norwich can probably claim a significantly greater standing when it comes to history and architecture. It is a fine city but you don't have to search very far to see signs that it's not perfect.

All cities have their seedier sides, areas of comparative deprivation contrasting with conspicuous areas of wealth, transient populations and local headlines often dominated by bad news. Why does Brighton feature in so much crime related fiction? - IMHO Patrick Hamilton's 'The West Pier' is grittier than Greene's 'Brighton Rock'. Peter James and other authors have made fortunes from plausible crime thrillers based in our supposedly fair City. Recent fictional TV series based around Brighton reinforce this view - and do not exactly paint it in a favourable light. Take off the rose tinted specs and there is plenty of grungy 'character' and people living on the margins that are too easily overlooked as part of the bohemian landscape.

The recent biog from the former Police Commander describes the John Street nick as about the busiest in the UK. In Victorian times Brighton's reputation was sensationalised by the 'chocolate cream poisoner' and later by the bodies in the trunk murders. Plus umpteen more 'routine' murders and major crimes including terrorist attacks. For several years it had a reputation for being a drug capital and for drug related deaths. So we shouldn't be too offended - and I suspect many visitors find this part of the allure. The city that 'looks like it should be helping the Police with their enquiries' etc. Brighton is the nagging flame that so many good and bad moths are attracted to.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Brighton looks great walking along the seafront when the sun is shining and its a bright day

When its grey and overcast or raining like it was today and you walk down that street from the station and with the rough sleepers and drug addicts in the doorways it looks like shite.

Norwich is the same it looks great when it is a sunny day and you walk round the city walls but when its raining and you walk up town or turn right out of the station to the street full of hookers then it too looks like shite.

Both cities are really appealing places to visit but turn a different corner and if the heavens open then they both look crap

So the guy needs a slap in the eye because he probably hasn't opened them properly yet to have a good look at the city.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
What sort of Toby uses the the word 'horrid', fink I should give 'im a f@cking good slap just for that.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
According to a poster on here earlier this week, Brighton is the prettiest city on the south coast! I love Brighton, but I never think it's pretty or beautiful. I know Terry Pratchett probably modelled Ankh Morpork on London but I can imagine Brighton fitting much of the criteria.

And grey, rainy day? It was beautiful weather in Eastbourne today, mostly clear blue skies and pleasantly warm.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's half-term so there's bound to be a few annoying little scrotes about, especially in fast-food places but that goes for everywhere. I think Brighton has vastly improved - similar to Manchester - in the last 20 years in terms of safety. London Road certainly isn't as intimidating now. New buildings have been built although it has become a much more expensive place to live.

I found Norwich a pleasant city but the number of older people getting in the way with their sticks or mobility scooters was rather tiresome. I suppose the pace of life in Norfolk is slower and maybe that's a good thing but I certainly wouldn't want to live there because it is out in the sticks somewhat.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here