Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Chris?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spot on. Some thought our amazing team spirit with a couple of additions will see us safe next season. Dillusional.
That must have been after a win.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It wasn't Skalak and it wasn't the manager's tactics.

Too many player's intensity has dropped. This can't be coached, team talked, it has to come from the players, and sometimes when it drops, it's impossible to get back, an unquantifiable component.

Kayal and Hamed most notibly off the pace yesterday, closely followed by Knockeart and Skalak. Bong next whose decision as the full back not to close down the crosser cost us the goal, Hunemier looked completely overawed by the occasion. Agree with others, Murray, Stephens, Dunk, Stockdale demonstrated they are an essential spine to this team, and played well while others around them faltered.

We've had some desperately disappointing final games at the Amex over recent years, I was reasonably content this disappointment has a promotion and a game to go to fall back on. We'll draw at Villa and Barnsley will hold the Geordies!

I'm prepared to say. on this very rare occasion, it was Skalak, tactics and the players. The question is, which came first, the selection or the bottle out?

My impression is that the players secretly rate Jiri about as much as the fans do. Bong HATES playing with him. Murray and Hemed knew that he wouldn't beat anyone but would whip in a decent cross so both of them got in each other's way trying to get on the end of them. I didn't even think Dunk was that great. Ok, by his standards. He certainly dealt with a lively attacking set up for most of the game but Bong didn't close down the cross because he'd already been drawn out to the goal scorer who played the pass, who should have been the centre back's man. And we looked woeful on our own set pieces which is surely the only thing Skalak gets picked for now. I don't buy this "more solid" thing. He should have been sent off before half time.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
A lot of anti skalak feeling yet he was only person to have had the only meaningful shot on target in first half. He also had a deflected shot. He also won a couple of freekicks. Personally I think Pocognoli is a better full back than Bong. Hemed was poor ( and I am normally a fan) and AK tried to showboat too much without delivering anything. Others were also amiss. Maybe some players already think they are going to be moved on next season and can't be bothered. But the bottom line is we are up and anyone who can't be overjoyed by that must have a very short memory.

Skalak was the first player to be subbed yesterday and at half time for good reason. He was fooking shit.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Skalak was the first player to be subbed yesterday and at half time for good reason. He was fooking shit.

He was poor but at least he tried to shoot. Truth is it was a poor/indifferent performance by most of the players and some of those players e.g. Hemed should have taken the opportunity to shine, he did n't. A nice trip up to Villa hopefully the players will respond to what will be a very tough challenge.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or maybe it's a bunch of fans that support a club that doesn't have a cabinet full of silverware and are desperate to win one of its biggest trophys in its history.

I question the mindset of those "fans" who don't seem that bothered we could cock up one of our biggest chances ever to bring to the club something we might not get the chance to win again.

Oh, that chance will come again. But I hope it will be far, far in the future......:facepalm::shootself

I'm relaxed - shows how we've mostly dodged a bullet this season - when Knocky has a quiet day we struggle. And I genuinely don't think either Hemed or Skalak are reliable enough to be a force at this level. We could pull it out next week though with one last heave - if we blow a 7pt lead for the title though then the recruitment team must factor that in for next season

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'm relaxed - shows how we've mostly dodged a bullet this season - when Knocky has a quiet day we struggle. And I genuinely don't think either Hemed or Skalak are reliable enough to be a force at this level. We could pull it out next week though with one last heave - if we blow a 7pt lead for the title though then the recruitment team must factor that in for next season

Is that a stream of consciousness post or do you just do this shit for a reaction?

"Mostly dodged a bullet this season"?? Are you actually aware of how far ahead of the chasing pack we are? Or how good our home record is?

"And I genuinely don't think either Hemed or Skalak are reliable enough to be a force at this level." Hemed has got well in to double figures two seasons running in a team that finished 3rd and then got automatically promoted, the second season of which was as 3rd choice striker which more or less suggests he's fine at THIS level but not the higher one, and that CH understands this. Ditto Skalak. A decent number of assists from a third choice wide midfielder but regarded by everyone going as not quite up to it.

" if we blow a 7pt lead for the title though then the recruitment team must factor that in for next season". Yeah, because currently they're definitely sat on their arses eating pizza. Good job you told them :rolleyes:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm prepared to say. on this very rare occasion, it was Skalak, tactics and the players. The question is, which came first, the selection or the bottle out?

My impression is that the players secretly rate Jiri about as much as the fans do. Bong HATES playing with him. Murray and Hemed knew that he wouldn't beat anyone but would whip in a decent cross so both of them got in each other's way trying to get on the end of them. I didn't even think Dunk was that great. Ok, by his standards. He certainly dealt with a lively attacking set up for most of the game but Bong didn't close down the cross because he'd already been drawn out to the goal scorer who played the pass, who should have been the centre back's man. And we looked woeful on our own set pieces which is surely the only thing Skalak gets picked for now. I don't buy this "more solid" thing. He should have been sent off before half time.

What yesterday highlighted, is that if other players have poor games, then it increases the scrutiny on the likes of Skalak. My point really is that I don't think our tactics were any different than much of the season, however too many had an off day, and invariably if your best players have off days, then your more average players looking even worse. I'm not backing Skalak, far from it, he deserved to go off, but then with March on for an entire half - nothing changed. Too many were just below their best.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I have to admit I thought you looked a much better side when March came on, he looks like a very decent player

We did but he still received it statically most of the time. You should see him when it's played in front of his feet. To your credit you closed that off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It wasn't Skalak and it wasn't the manager's tactics.

Too many player's intensity has dropped. This can't be coached, team talked, it has to come from the players, and sometimes when it drops, it's impossible to get back, an unquantifiable component.

Kayal and Hamed most notibly off the pace yesterday, closely followed by Knockeart and Skalak. Bong next whose decision as the full back not to close down the crosser cost us the goal, Hunemier looked completely overawed by the occasion. Agree with others, Murray, Stephens, Dunk, Stockdale demonstrated they are an essential spine to this team, and played well while others around them faltered.

We've had some desperately disappointing final games at the Amex over recent years, I was reasonably content this disappointment has a promotion and a game to go to fall back on. We'll draw at Villa and Barnsley will hold the Geordies!

Agree, apart from the BFG - he had a decent game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What yesterday highlighted, is that if other players have poor games, then it increases the scrutiny on the likes of Skalak. My point really is that I don't think our tactics were any different than much of the season, however too many had an off day, and invariably if your best players have off days, then your more average players looking even worse. I'm not backing Skalak, far from it, he deserved to go off, but then with March on for an entire half - nothing changed. Too many were just below their best.
T'is funny how yesterday Skalak still out performed Solly's start v Norwich, proving just how low that bar was set.
Yet the moment Jiri's name is on the teamsheet posters are desperate for him to fail and anoint Solly's brilliance.

For what it's worth (nothing) I'd have played them the other way round.
I've felt all season Jiri should be adding solidity and breaking up play away from home.
While Murphy/March/Knockaert attack from the 'w-her' of whistle at home.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Indeed, he has 5 assists. 3 of which were in the 5-0 vs Norwich (he has his moments), and this was also the last/most recent time he assisted this season. So he's done nothing since October. At the risk of sounding a bit Withdean Wanderer, what exactly does he do?

On that basis, what exactly do the rest do - as they've contributed less overall?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The moment Skalak's name was announced I knew we'd get this usual scapegoating. (Good to see Bong getting some action too)

Solly has been comparatively poor in all his starts since his performance as a substitute v Leeds.
He may well have not bothered to play v Norwich.

But no once again Solly is the hero Jiri the villain.

Don't think Solly or Jiri put anything significant in on Saturday. With their attitude and lack of application, should either still be with us when we kickoff next season? They weren't the only ones either. Only players to come out of Saturday with any credit IMO were Stephens and the two centre backs.

Two games now where we have looked so meh.

If the players needed motivating at Norwich and against Bristol, the manager couldn't do it. Worrying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here