Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
While you lot have been having your little chuckle on here,nobody seems to have noticed that the Germans have killed off NATO.Hope our troops are out of the Baltic states soon.Trump has said if members don't live up to their commitments,he will pull American forces out,but the Germans are so arrogant they don't believe him-just watch what happens next!:

tossers.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
While you lot have been having your little chuckle on here,nobody seems to have noticed that the Germans have killed off NATO.Hope our troops are out of the Baltic states soon.Trump has said if members don't live up to their commitments,he will pull American forces out,but the Germans are so arrogant they don't believe him-just watch what happens next!:

View attachment 83512

Seagulls!

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
the press are currently enjoying reframing the old clickbait topics with the brexit angle. No UK govt will offer Gibraltar up and no Spanish govt would invade it. It is, however, very handy as a distraction tactic for any Spanish govt looking for a bit of deflection if something's not going right at home. The previous Argentinian president, Cristina Fernandez, used to do exacly the same with the Falklands. Be it the accidental death of someone looking to release a bunch of secrets or the currency devaluing further she'd simply roll out the same lines to try and keep the mob happy.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
That would be France.

Let's just say the Spanish government were mad enough for the sake of debate.

The size of the Spanish military against that of the United Kingdom would be of too much weight to re-take an area that is in their own back yard without immeasurable and unacceptable casualties.

It is not a straight forward match on a level playing field. The logistical deployment of military would be nigh on impossible without outside assistance.

If Spain invaded Gibralter there is nothing we could do to stop them from fortifying the territory to make it unrecoverable.

I think it would definately effect the Spanish economy as its not often people holiday in enemy territory. When your failing at home, the economy, unemployment, lack of investment, a failing euro and legislation that out of your control turn to foreign policy. The Basque region, Andalucia and Catalunia all have claims on succession, i'm not sure how much the Spanish people care about the claim. Military action is a non starter, such talk is fanciful and dangerous.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think it would definately effect the Spanish economy as its not often people holiday in enemy territory. When your failing at home, the economy, unemployment, lack of investment, a failing euro and legislation that out of your control turn to foreign policy. Military action is a non starter, such talk is fanciful and dangerous.

Obviously it wouldn't happen. But my point is to make clear that the UK is in no position to start sabre rattling over such issues.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you have a reference for this. Earliest date I can find is 1765.

Same with me - 1765, and only continuous since 1833. I think the earlier date is a matter of family tradition and oral history/folk-lore/legend - so may be right or may be just legend. Probably no definitive and conclusive proof either way. Whatever the answer is, though, the Islanders have been there long enough to have their rights absolutely respected.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

View attachment 83512
Did the article you just posted come from kremlin information warfare operation RT ( Russia Today ) ? ???

But prefer to be British. They voted Remain, but that doesn't mean they want to be Spanish. It just eased the border crossings every day for commuters.

Oh, I see.

In this instance, it's OK to interpret the referendum vote in a particular way, but in other instances we aren't allowed to do that, but are expected to just take the OUT vote as a vote for OUT.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That would be France.

The size of the Spanish military against that of the United Kingdom would be of too much weight to re-take an area that is in their own back yard without immeasurable and unacceptable casualties.

It is not a straight forward match on a level playing field. The logistical deployment of military would be nigh on impossible without outside assistance.

If Spain invaded Gibralter there is nothing we could do to stop them from fortifying the territory to make it unrecoverable.

Spain has a military personnel count not far off ours. Their air force is a third of our size and the naval force about half. That would be enough to see us off if they are on home ground when a land invasion is needed.

France ..... !! :D

Our intelligence capability (intertwined with the US would mean we would know what the Spanish plan was before their front line commanders!)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh, I see.

In this instance, it's OK to interpret the referendum vote in a particular way, but in other instances we aren't allowed to do that, but are expected to just take the OUT vote as a vote for OUT.

The Gibraltarian vote of self determination (2002),was a different vote to the referendum on the EU (2016), as I'm sure you know.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
That would be France.

Spain has a military personnel count not far off ours. Their air force is a third of our size and the naval force about half. That would be enough to see us off if they are on home ground when a land invasion is needed.

Isn't this the very reason we have nukes! ;)

Doesn't Turkey or Russia have a bigger military than France?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Or maybe they should just listen to the people of Gibraltar, who voted overwhelmingly to remain in a European Union with Spain?

But prefer to be British. They voted Remain, but that doesn't mean they want to be Spanish. It just eased the border crossings every day for commuters.

... which puts them in an awkward position. It appears they can't have both.

A more enlightening referendum / poll would be where their British / EU priorities lie if Gibraltarians were asked something along the lines of 'would you accept Gibraltar's secession from the United Kingdom's sovereignty and jurisdiction if it meant it could remain in the EU."...?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Isn't this the very reason we have nukes! ;)

Doesn't Turkey or Russia have a bigger military than France?

Yes. But I'm guessing the reference was to EU forces/western forces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here