Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The morning teeth brush debate

Do you brush your teeth before or after breakfast?

• Before

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • After

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Hello good folks of NSC,

Do you brush your teeth in the morning before, or after breakfast?

Please help settle this debate!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
What would be the point of brushing teeth before breakfast. Not only would it affect the taste of food but you'd have to brush again afterwards.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
The only circumstance I can think of where the before option comes into play would be when there's pre-jentacular romance on the cards.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Always after. Unless I grab something before going into the office in which case it's clearly before.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I am a "after" type but it is supposedly to be done before,this is to avoid brushing away enamel....so if you do brush after make sure it's straight away and don't let the sugars time to build up.

EDIT [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] has provided some conflicting advice **on time after

i might be wrong

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After breakfast. Why clean your teeth, and then clog them up again with cereal or toast?
What would be the point of brushing teeth before breakfast. Not only would it affect the taste of food but you'd have to brush again afterwards.
Apparently, brushing after eating or drinking can damage the enamel, as it's been softened by food and drink. They say it's best to wait a while (I've forgotten how long) before brushing, or simply brush before breakfast. Not as daft an idea as you'd think.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Only ever brush last thing at night. The complete dental workover. Two to three minutes of serious flossing followed by about two minutes of brushing. Don't rinse my mouth out, just spit out the excess. Let the affects of the brushing and toothpaste last through the night. Only brush occasionally in the morning and if I do, its after breakfast. A lot of the food consumed during waking hours is washed away with liquid consumption. This doesn't happen at night.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am a "after" type but it is supposedly to be done before,this is to avoid brushing away enamel....so if you do brush after make sure it's straight away and don't let the sugars time to build up.
Ah. Well we're both onto the concept of brushing away enamel, just not sure when. Google should tell us.

EDIT - Looks like we're both sort of right.
1) Brushing before breakfast is the way to go - low saliva over night allows bacteria to build up, which then attacks when we have sugar etc). Brush and get rid before breakfast.

If brushing after
Brushing straight after means you can remove the bacteria before they attack your tooth enamel
but
brushing after eating can affect the enamel. If you've have acidic food/drink the enamel is weakened, so you should wait for 30 mins

So brush before. If you like orange juice, that will taste crap, so maybe eat a little before having the juice.

Last edited:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Before, mostly as I don't have time (and unwilling to get up ang earlier than I do) to eat breakfast prior to heading into work...I blame the toddler.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
:shootselfI've brushed mine 3 times already this morning. Mainly because I'm properly hanging. I just can't get the taste of a pint of amstel, pint of heineken, 2 pints of Somersby cider, half a bottle of red wine, mussels in a white wine and chilli sauce, lamb cutlets with mint sauce in a jus of some sort, strawberry and white chocolate cheesecake, Jameson Irish coffee, quarter bottle of brandy and quarter bottle of bourbon out of my mouth.

Had a great night but my God the taste of my mouth is vile. Even the deep clean bicarb colgate toothpaste isn't touching it. Perhaps I should just try brushing my teeth with vodka and charcoal instead:shootself:shootself

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Apparently, brushing after eating or drinking can damage the enamel, as it's been softened by food and drink. They say it's best to wait a while (I've forgotten how long) before brushing, or simply brush before breakfast. Not as daft an idea as you'd think.

This. Your enamel is still soft so you should wait 40 minutes to an hour after eating before brushing.

Top tip from the dentist - once you've brushed your teeth at night, and then rinsed, load your dry(ish) toothbrush with toothpaste once more and brush round to coat your teeth and leave on overnight. This is especially good if you use a decent toothpaste like Sensodyne Repair and Protect that 'supposedly' repairs enamel/reduces sensitivity or whitens. (edit: Mo G sort of already mentioned this above)

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:shootselfI've brushed mine 3 times already this morning. Mainly because I'm properly hanging. I just can't get the taste of a pint of amstel, pint of heineken, 2 pints of Somersby cider, half a bottle of red wine, mussels in a white wine and chilli sauce, lamb cutlets with mint sauce in a jus of some sort, strawberry and white chocolate cheesecake, Jameson Irish coffee, quarter bottle of brandy and quarter bottle of bourbon out of my mouth.

Had a great night but my God the taste of my mouth is vile. Even the deep clean bicarb colgate toothpaste isn't touching it. Perhaps I should just try brushing my teeth with vodka and charcoal instead:shootself:shootself

chocolate gets rid of the taste of alcohol. plain choc, not a snickers or something.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Ah. Well we're both onto the concept of brushing away enamel, just not sure when. Google should tell us.

EDIT - Looks like we're both sort of right.
1) Brushing before breakfast is the way to go - low saliva over night allows bacteria to build up, which then attacks when we have sugar etc). Brush and get rid before breakfast.

If brushing after
Brushing straight after means you can remove the bacteria before they attack your tooth enamel
but
brushing after eating can affect the enamel. If you've have acidic food/drink the enamel is weakened, so you should wait for 30 mins

So brush before. If you like orange juice, that will taste crap, so maybe eat a little before having the juice.

Is the correct answer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here