Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*TRAIN NEWS* Brighton main line closed tomorrow

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Are the trains diverted via Lewes that will call at Falmer stopping twice at Lewes, once on platform 1 (towards Eastbourne before reversing) and then on platform 4 (towards Brighton), or just the once?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Drove into work (Potters Bar), it took just under two hours which is a lot quicker than the train. M25 was busy as you'd expect, but I never dropped below 40mph even through the notorious South West quadrant. Plus of course I was spared all the physical indignities that rail commuting often entails. It's funny, I managed without a car for nearly four years until I started having to commute every day by train! Now having a car is essential, especially living in Fiveways which is poorly-served by public transport.

And I too would like to thank Hawk and Ernest. NSC is easily the best source of up-to-date travel information there is and I hope they don't get too pissed off with the abuse and stop posting. I can get as pissed off as anyone at the signal failures, train breakdowns and power failures, but I recognise these are exceptional circumstances and everyone is trying their best. And yes, FCC would be MILES worse than Southern.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Just tweeted by transport manager:
[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION]transport: Confirmation from [MENTION=26542]Southern[/MENTION]RailUK that they will be able to run abt 50% of the normal match day service. #bhafc

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Are the trains diverted via Lewes that will call at Falmer stopping twice at Lewes, once on platform 1 (towards Eastbourne before reversing) and then on platform 4 (towards Brighton), or just the once?

The one I was on this morning just stopped the once heading towards london

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not clear at all whether the Brighton services are stopping at Falmer on the national rail website. All very confusing. I shall just get a lewes bound service and try my luck I suppose, or hope that there is better information nearer the time.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Not clear at all whether the Brighton services are stopping at Falmer on the national rail website. All very confusing. I shall just get a lewes bound service and try my luck I suppose, or hope that there is better information nearer the time.

Where are you travelling from ?

Assuming from London, Via Lewes would be the best option anyway. If trains arent freely available from Lewes, then use Brighton and Hove Buses from Lewes to Falmer, the bus company ARENT accepting tickets though - which is unusual.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I'll be getting on at Gatwick, so I'd imagine I'll be on one of the diverted victoria services. Work has generously let me out early so I ma hoping to avoid the major congestion.

Should be 4 trains an hour from Gatwick down to Lewes (2 diverted to Brighton, 2 normal services to Eastbourne). Failing that, then go via Hassocks and Brighton. The lack of free travel tonight does make things much, much harder.

Delayed KO is inevitable really, as the A27 will be jammed too.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I wasn't really expecting them to accept them, but its brilliant that we are expected to purchase tickets in advance nowadays and tonight the only option if it is impossible to get on a train is to pay to go by bus from Lewes with the driving option to a P&R not an option as they haven't been prebooked and may be full.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Should be 4 trains an hour from Gatwick down to Lewes (2 diverted to Brighton, 2 normal services to Eastbourne). Failing that, then go via Hassocks and Brighton. The lack of free travel tonight does make things much, much harder.

Delayed KO is inevitable really, as the A27 will be jammed too.

Thanks for that. I reckon you are right. Definitely expecting a delayed ko. I'm leaving plenty of time so should be ok. As my gold card is to Brighton, I am guessing that should be valid via Lewes this evening.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I wasn't really expecting them to accept them, but its brilliant that we are expected to purchase tickets in advance nowadays and tonight the only option if it is impossible to get on a train is to pay to go by bus from Lewes with the driving option to a P&R not an option as they haven't been prebooked and may be full.

There hasnt been any advice to pre-book train tickets for this match, especially as the tickets would have cost the same whether bought 3 weeks ago or tonight. If your coming from Bexhill (assuming from the location of course), then the best bet would be to take the direct train before the game - should easily get a seat, but coming back would be difficult due to the hourly service between Eastbourne and Hastings. Might even be worth driving to Eastbourne or Hampden Park and parking there, usually a fair bit of on-street parking near both stations, but both also have car parks.

P&R isnt an option, the available spaces (probably about 100 in both Mithras and Mill Road) will be gone within 30 minutes of opening at 5.30.

Thanks for that. I reckon you are right. Definitely expecting a delayed ko. I'm leaving plenty of time so should be ok. As my gold card is to Brighton, I am guessing that should be valid via Lewes this evening.

100% valid, wouldnt need to buy another ticket - who says disruption is bad !!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The latest message on Southern is indicating that they'll be able to start running trains through the line after 3:30 today, although not a normal service as all the stock will be in the wrong place.

Sounds encouraging that it "could" be running in the morning ** although apparently they need to agree with NR what they can run tomorrow - I missed out reading some of it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It will be interesting to see how much say the club has in delaying a televised game. My initial feelings are that it will go ahead at the correct time.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It will be interesting to see how much say the club has in delaying a televised game. My initial feelings are that it will go ahead at the correct time.

The Watford game on Sky last October (Fright Night :facepalm:) had a delayed KO due to travel issues - roads and trains were all screwed because of 100mph winds.

BT have to follow advice from the police and safety officer.

Statement from Network Rail - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s0hv0d - Brighton Mainline to reopen this evening. Normal service tomorrow, Oxted line will also reopen tomorrow.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Hawk or Ernest: any idea what the situation from Falmer to Lewes will be after the game? I really don't want to be battling with the 28 or 29, as they're always a right pain after a game. And I'd echo what others have said about Southern being far better than FCC: my up thread criticism was aimed at Network Rail rather than Southern. Before anyone has a go, I haven't read all 13 pages, so I don't know if my question has already been asked.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There hasnt been any advice to pre-book train tickets for this match, especially as the tickets would have cost the same whether bought 3 weeks ago or tonight. If your coming from Bexhill (assuming from the location of course), then the best bet would be to take the direct train before the game - should easily get a seat, but coming back would be difficult due to the hourly service between Eastbourne and Hastings. Might even be worth driving to Eastbourne or Hampden Park and parking there, usually a fair bit of on-street parking near both stations, but both also have car parks.

P&R isnt an option, the available spaces (probably about 100 in both Mithras and Mill Road) will be gone within 30 minutes of opening at 5.30.

100% valid, wouldnt need to buy another ticket - who says disruption is bad !!

I mean the railways force pre-bought tickets as they are usually cheaper, I didn't realise they don't discount tickets for short journies, but anyway when we went to the Newport game Lewes ticket office was closed and we could not buy group saver tickets from the machine so it is therefore cheaper to buy in advance.

We always drive to Lewes and as we already have tickets will take the lottery route tonight and hope be can beat the rush

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Hawk or Ernest: any idea what the situation from Falmer to Lewes will be after the game? I really don't want to be battling with the 28 or 29, as they're always a right pain after a game. And I'd echo what others have said about Southern being far better than FCC: my up thread criticism was aimed at Network Rail rather than Southern.

Network Rail at times can be useless too - believe me, though they have sorted Patcham and Oxted out pretty quick so credit where its due.

After the game, reduced service to run, but not confirmed.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Network Rail at times can be useless too - believe me, though they have sorted Patcham and Oxted out pretty quick so credit where its due.

After the game, reduced service to run, but not confirmed.

Indeed it would be churlish not dish out some credit for a change, they have done well to get the line open for tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here