Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] From the Argus, some really good news for all us Calderon fans

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From that article it seems like Rosenior and Sidwell might be back as backroom staff too? Hopefully not as announcers and minglers in the 1901 Lounges though :smile:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
More former players who, like Danny and Guy, would be superb assets. Btw, Albion Roar had an excellent interview recently with the latter pair and is well worth a listen.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Story says not much really. None of those players have even retired yet, none have had formal job offers., and all Barber says is they’d like to have those type of players as “part of the club” at some point.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I know its easy to get sentimental about old players, but having the great man around would be a great boost

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
At this rate each 1901er will have an individual and personal meet-and-greeter, ready to usher one to seated comfort and entertain.

We haven’t had anyone in our lounge for two seasons now.......... [emoji2]

Great news though, those mentioned in the article all bring a lot of experience and skills to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
He'd come with a sports science degree, a mast.ers in sports psychology, a Pro Licence and knows the club and community schemes backwards. It's not just sentimentality. He still has so much to offer us. I'd imagine there's a fair lure from his home town club though so we'd have stiff competition for his services.

Also good to hear the notion of a boot room culture. Continuity is a massively underrated asset these days.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
This. Calde is different though isn't he? He's probably in the top 5 all time club legends, and indisputably in the top 10.

Why is that? I'm not disputing it, but it is strange that a reasonable second-tier right-back is held in such high regard. I wonder if he would be as revered if his name was Bob Smith. Funny that he was also a hate figure for a few weeks when he was going to Southampton.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Is there any better way to say "you're done as a player, mate."

Indeed. In any case Calde is 36 now, an age by which time many pros have already retired. If the best he can manage is an offer forom a club in India, maybe he should be considering hanging up his boots now too. He is luckier than many, he already has his coaching badges, and a return to the Amex awaits.

If he doesn't take that step, all l can say is, he must really love playing!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I know its easy to get sentimental about old players, but having the great man around would be a great boost

Agreed. I've never been a fan of 'jobs for the boys' where we give old players a role just because we liked them and now feel sorry for them. (There is a place for that - but it's meet 'n' greet in the lounges). Calderon's qualifications mean he can be a real asset.

I'm also intrigued by the 'boot room' reference. I've said before that I think we're really going to miss Rosenior and Sidwell next season because of their role as 'non-playing players', showing the younger ones that in modern football you play a role just by being in the squad. We're probably big enough now where we can add a few ex-players in sort of coaching/mentoring roles.

EDIT: Basically I'm agreeing with jimhigham's post!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why is that? I'm not disputing it, but it is strange that a reasonable second-tier right-back is held in such high regard. I wonder if he would be as revered if his name was Bob Smith. Funny that he was also a hate figure for a few weeks when he was going to Southampton.

If Bob Smith spent his spare time teaching the yoof of Brighton, did a Spanish triathlon for a high profile Sussex charity, worked hard for AITC, had a sports science degree, a masters in sports psychology and coaching qualifications, oozed personality and did stuff like

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm absolutely certain Bob would be an Albion legend as well.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
From that article it seems like Rosenior and Sidwell might be back as backroom staff too? Hopefully not as announcers and minglers in the 1901 Lounges though :smile:

I had hoped this was true, and that they could add something to the coaching staff. Not sure we can employ all decent ex-players like this though. If we can offer them something post-boots, that would be good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here