Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your school trips

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Geography field trip to Dorset staying in the YHA in Swanage.

Had my first ever kiss from a lass. She was from Honor Oak Park.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Standard. Weald & downland museum & hampton court were great.

2 football tours: 1 up north & 1 in France

Fav: skiing where some lad shagged the teachers nephew & she tried to cut her wrists = good times

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I forgot, at Patcham Fawcett we had a trip to the Aircraft research labs at Farnborough, fascinating that was, especially when a bloke showed us a pice of some new fangled stuff called carbon fibre.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A week in Brugge in 1968, aged 9. Was indecently assaulted. Twice. Cracking supervision by the school. :facepalm:

At the time it didn't bother me, and it never has after. It wasn't 'serious', but it was completely out of order. Aged 25, yes, I would have biffed him on the nose. Twice.

Phew. Thought the place name was an anagram at first. Anyone I'd know from 1971 onwards at HCGS? I know 2 certain prowlers from there. One wasn't even a teacher.

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
We did a two day tour of the WWI battlefields of Northern France which just happened to clash with the 2002 World Cup; the locals weren't too impressed with our home made sign reading "France 0 - 1 Senegal" in the back window of the coach. Probably should have shown more respect to where we were than worrying about trying to pick up commentary of England vs Sweden.

Best trip has to be at primary school where we went to Hever Castle, not for any historic value but our topic that term was "adventure playgrounds".

Favourite moment has to be a class mate refusing to go on a trip to Germany at the very last moment because the journey included a ferry ride and he'd just seen Titanic and was now too sh*t scared to go on a ship.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
ah yes a 70s Kings Manor day trip to Dieppe - smoking Gauloise and smuggling back bangers and flick knife inside french stick.......also a sailing week in Chichester....coca cola and paracetamol and getting stuck in dingy on sandbank and having to get out and push!!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Imagine the scene; it was 1968 (I think - perhaps 1967) and our young, blonde, dishy, mini-skirted English Teacher says, "my husband and I are going to see the new musical "Hair" in London, we'll have a couple of spare seats in the car - would anyone like to come with us?"

She ended up taking pretty much everyone from every class in the school year - 2x 56 seater coaches.

The attraction being, from a young teenagers perspective - "Tit's on stage"!!!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Belgium when I was 11, my friend had her purse stolen by a pickpocket as we climbed that church tower in Bruges (the one in the film).
Various catholic retreats ..... no fun, the only light relief was (predictably) breaking into the altar wine.

Best was a day trip to a farm when about 8. I tried to steal a piglet, but they squealed their little head off so I had to put them back :)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We had a 1 night stay on the TS Froudroyant in Portsmouth Harbour whilst at Primary School. Interestingly (or not) I took the family to visit the HMS Trincomalee in Hartlepool two weeks ago and it is the same ship - now has masts and everything! Well worth visiting if you are in the area. Don't remember much about the school trip as it was 40 years ago, other than they had a seriously large Ludo board.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My sixth form cricket tour to Somerset was my highlight. June 1997 which coincided with the infamously wet Glastonbury festival. We managed to finish one match and spent most of the other four days in the pub. Good times. The one match we played was against one of the posh Somerset schools and somehow my crappy comp beat them.

My son is currently on his year 5 outward bound type residential. In my day parents didn't hear anything until we got home, now parents are nagging for photos online.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Imagine the scene; it was 1968 (I think - perhaps 1967) and our young, blonde, dishy, mini-skirted English Teacher says, "my husband and I are going to see the new musical "Hair" in London, we'll have a couple of spare seats in the car - would anyone like to come with us?"

It would have been 1968 as nudity wouldn't have been allowed on stage before July 1968 when the Theatre Act was passed.

In August that year, I watched spellbound as a total naked Helen of Troy made her way towards Dr Faustus on the RSC stage.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
School trip to the Royal Pavilion that got double booked which meant we were given only a few minutes to literally bolt it around the Pavilion alongside the teacher. He even let us go for a cigarette whilst we waited to go in. We were 14 years old.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ok so a trip to seven sisters in a Bright Orange 16 seater minibus , dunno the year but late seventies i suppose , those that went to Fawcett will know Winstanley and Shav the gym teachers , well that's who we went with so it was going to be a laugh from the off , 2 days in Shav asked me to go to the farm (nearby) and refill the 5 gallon water tank , the farm was about a mile away , fook that as i walked past a pond and filled the tank from the pond , what did i know about weils disease , within 12 hours 9 of the 13 lads had developed the squirts and vomiting , one of whom ML was pretty bad and had to be taken home , nobody ever asked where i got the water from and i wasn't about to tell .

By day 4 the party had all but recovered so it was time to try and start the minibus with a fork as you do , and boom it started , Who could drive ? Nobody as it turned out but we all had a bloody good go , i'm still not sure how we got away with driving over the rolling hills of Eastbourne without at least getting spotted but we did , nobody to my knowledge ever knew apart from the lads in the minibus , god knows what Winstanley and Shav were doing but it wasn't Minibus watching , lost track of most of the lads that went on the trip but still see a few at the games without really wanting to mention it because of the water :lolol: , so there , if you're reading this and ruined your pants , it was me , Sorry .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Phew. Thought the place name was an anagram at first. Anyone I'd know from 1971 onwards at HCGS? I know 2 certain prowlers from there. One wasn't even a teacher.

This was primary school.....Brugge is in Belgium. I may have spelled it wrong, knowing me....

HCGS?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A week in Brugge in 1968, aged 9. Was indecently assaulted. Twice. Cracking supervision by the school. :facepalm:

This was primary school.....Brugge is in Belgium. I may have spelled it wrong, knowing me....

HCGS?

For Boys. Windmill and Blue Blazers, God as Headteacher. Thought I'd read your posts years back on the school but may be wrong. I usually am, ask Emma Peel.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Went on a cruise from Southampton aged 15 on Friday 13 Feb 1970.....SS Uganda and took in Tangier, Malta, Haifa (for Jerusalem), Corfu, Rhodes and Venice. Flew back to Gatwick. It was an 'educational' cruise to be sure. Never forgotten. Met one of our lady teacher's at a charity event this previous Christmas. She apparently went on 3 such cruises mmmm yes well it seems like she enjoyed them too !! Oh I believe the cost was £75 with £25 spending money.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For Boys. Windmill and Blue Blazers, God as Headteacher. Thought I'd read your posts years back on the school but may be wrong. I usually am, ask Emma Peel.

Yes, HGSB. Nisi spiritu dei nihil. Stand by for legionnaire Cleese and his correcting chalk ...:lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Went on a cruise from Southampton aged 15 on Friday 13 Feb 1970.....SS Uganda and took in Tangier, Malta, Haifa (for Jerusalem), Corfu, Rhodes and Venice. Flew back to Gatwick. It was an 'educational' cruise to be sure. Never forgotten. Met one of our lady teacher's at a charity event this previous Christmas. She apparently went on 3 such cruises mmmm yes well it seems like she enjoyed them too !! Oh I believe the cost was £75 with £25 spending money.

A brother of mine did one of the SS Uganda cruises in the early 70's. Theirs went from exotic Tilbury to Bordeaux, Lisbon, Madeira, Casablanca.

At the time it seemed a big adventure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here