Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Club insensitivity re crimes of state of Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Yes it’s a topic that should be discussed and interesting to understand why they have made the decision to say what the do.

I think we should recognise the conflict is a complex subject that most don’t fully understand. It’s up Barber and the club to justify why it does things and takes account of these thing. Might simple be unintentional ignorance on the subject, might be thier stance as they’re are arguments on both sides. Not up to me to say.

But you have said haven't you?

Your phraseology tells everyone on this thread everything they need to know.....

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm seriously considering splitting the board up in the Summer...

- Sport
- Everything else

Even though I rarely open up the myriad of political binfests, I've had enough of them.

I'd be ok if there was just a politics section, the rest of everything else sits easily next to the sport threads.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Arrrggggghhhhhhhhh don't do it.

As much as I see your 'had enough' and raise you 'sick to the back teeth' you can't split The Big Board.

If you insist just consign 'Politics' to it's own subsection and tell the mods to stop debauching their way round Sussex and get tough on those flouting that rule.

How about a thread with a poll, everybody loves a pole.

This isn't about politics the Op has nothing better to do but try to wind people up AKA fishing so might be better to section it time wasters and good solid debate (football, curries or politics)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd be ok if there was just a politics section, the rest of everything else sits easily next to the sport threads.

I'd agree with this, put the politics binfests in their own corner and let the usual suspects on both sides argue round in circles to their heart's content, but leave everything else as is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This isn't about politics the Op has nothing better to do but try to wind people up AKA fishing so might be better to section it time wasters and good solid debate (football, curries or politics)
Jesus H Christ this is going from bad to worse.

Don't take time wasting away from me, it's all I've got.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I can't believe they used a photo of Hunemeier in January. I'm sure the club would have known that January 2018 marked the 85th anniversary of Hitler being appointed as Chancellor of Germany.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Glenn Murray is on February but, I'm told, doesn't even believe in Pancake Day!!!!!!!1

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

- Sport
- Everything else

Even though I rarely open up the myriad of political binfests, I've had enough of them.

This .... Sport Only please!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

- Sport
- Everything else

Which section would a*** wiping go in please?

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
But you have said haven't you?

Your phraseology tells everyone on this thread everything they need to know.....

I find political debate and foriegn affairs interesting, and how the club choose to behave towards this subject therefore interesting. Doesn’t mean I fall on one side or the other, as I said this is a complex area I am out of my depth discussing recognising sensitivity on both sides hardly makes me biased one way or the other. Personally I emphasise with some of the discomfort but like I say I’m out of my depth like most people I suspect on this area. Just think the club should be able to justify its stance on the subject.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Here's my email to Paul Barber
Dear Mr Barber,

I am an Albion supporter of almost 50 years standing and a season ticket holder for over 15 years. I was surprised to find calendar images for May of Brighton’s Israeli players Tomer Hemed and Beram Kayal. I am aware that Hemed is Jewish & Kayal Palestinian by birth, that both came through the ranks together at Macabi Haifa and the pair are on the most cordial terms.

As you may well be aware May 2018 marks the founding of the modern state of Israel. The enforced expulsion of over 700,000 Palestinians from their homes and lands which followed is known by them as the Nakba or Great Catastrophe. The subsequent history of the Israeli state is one of the brutal repression of Palestinians in Gaza, continued settlement building in the West Bank and an apartheid regime for those Palestinians still residing within Israel. This oppression is illegal under international law and has been condemned in UN resolutions too numerous to mention.

During recent events in Gaza unarmed protesters claiming their UN mandated rights to return home have been fired upon with high calibre live ammunition by the Israeli army (somewhat disingenuously known as the Israeli ‘Defence’ Force). At time of writing over 40 Palestinians have been killed and thousands wounded. Casualties include clearly marked journalists and paramedics.

Brighton & Hove Albion is a club I have been proud to support, the city’s cosmopolitan culture and tolerance being reflected in its fan base. I find it difficult to understand how the club could be so insensitive over a matter of this kind. I feel a public statement of apology re this month’s featured players would be appropriate. I look forward to your reply.

Barber has email his response:

Dear "beadman"

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Regards,

Paul.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This isn't a political thread, it's about the Albion and their lack of response to the OPs stupid email.

So keep everything together

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

- Sport
- Everything else

No, no, no. NSC is like a virtual pub. When you go to the pub you don't have different areas for sport and politics do you ? It's hardly difficult NOT to open a political thread surely ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just think the club should be able to justify its stance on the subject.

'Yeah come on club justify your stance'.

'We are proud of our Israeli nationals, who have been close friends since their preteen days, despite coming from either side of the divide in Israel.
They have been very vocal on the issues effecting their country, and racism in general, all of which has been endorsed by the club.
We at the Albion celebrate all our players and particularly enjoy to quirk of nature that has Tomer and Beram sharing the same birthday.
It would have been a little odd for us not to acknowledge that through our calendar'.

'Oh, ok, I feel a bit foolish now, for even asking'.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I find political debate and foriegn affairs interesting, and how the club choose to behave towards this subject therefore interesting. Doesn’t mean I fall on one side or the other, as I said this is a complex area I am out of my depth discussing recognising sensitivity on both sides hardly makes me biased one way or the other. Personally I emphasise with some of the discomfort but like I say I’m out of my depth like most people I suspect on this area. Just think the club should be able to justify its stance on the subject.

Why on earth would the club need to 'justify it's stance' on a subject it knows little or nothing about? BHA do not, should not, and will never have "a stance" on Israel because it is a football club FFS.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This isn't a political thread, it's about the Albion and their lack of response to the OPs stupid email.

So keep everything together

Yeah, I was going to say something similar. This thread is actually all about Brighton and Hove Albion football club. The OP maintains that some of the pictures in the club's calendar are offensive, and everybody else disagrees with him. He's emailed PB and we're all awaiting the response. Looked at it from that angle there's no politics involved at all, indeed for the sake of argument I'll maintain that this thread has been wrongly tagged as 'politics', it should have been tagged as 'Albion' as it's all about the club. Nowhere have we discussed the relative Rights and Wrongs of the Palestinian situation, which we would have done if this had been a political thread.

So this thread wouldn't actually be in Bozza'a new Politics forum!

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Why on earth would the club need to 'justify it's stance' on a subject it knows little or nothing about? BHA do not, should not, and will never have "a stance" on Israel because it is a football club FFS.
At last... this puts it exactly right

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A great demonstration that no matter who you are or where you have come from. People choose to be civil and get along with each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here