Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manager of the Year - (well aside from Pep)

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Put Pep in charge of a team that doesn't have the most money and the very best talent in the world. Then lets see if he's still Manager of the Year.

N.B. That's not to say I haven't really enjoyed watching their football this season because it has been breath taking at times. He's also brought the best out of Sterling as well.

There those who thought Sterling would suffer because of Brexit.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Wagner is worth a shout as well if he keeps Huddersfield up. I think they also have spent less money than Brighton.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
6-1 in 2011 and 5-1 in 2017 added fuel to the flames of this most unlikely of hatreds.
It doesn't just extend to Liverpool FC though, does it. It's lucky for some, in view of the race relations laws, that the majority of scousers and the majority of Albion supporters are white British.........................................

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If you exclude Pep, who is surely a shoe-in to get the nod, it’s got to be Dyche, hasn’t it?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Wagner is worth a shout as well if he keeps Huddersfield up. I think they also have spent less money than Brighton.

Both of us were in the top ten European net spends in Europe on Transfers last summer. We reportedly spent the eighth largest with 49.4m (slightly more than Liverpool), whilst Huddersfield were two places below with a spend of 43.9m.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
6-1 in 2011 and 5-1 in 2017 added fuel to the flames of this most unlikely of hatreds.

I can't see defeats as a reason for hatred. Snide attempts at mind games, poor behaviour by fans, financial cheating, yes ...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't see defeats as a reason for hatred. Snide attempts at mind games, poor behaviour by fans, financial cheating, yes ...

Financial cheating?

Poor behaviour by fans? Wasn't that the English Disease from the 1960's to 1990's, and often reminisced about on NSC. Now barely contained by CCTV, intelligence and banning orders.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
If there was an award for overall manager of the top 4 leagues then surely the Wolves manager get's it.
Never heard of the guy and don't know where he's come from but what he's done is amazing.
Beat's Pep with his trillions for me.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Manager of the Month award he received earlier in March for his team’s unbeaten excellence in February was the first ever time a black manager had ever been awarded that prize. Wow. Should shout that a bit louder.

Interesting point.I would have thought that Ruud Gullit would have won it at some stage (I don't know).

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Put Pep in charge of a team that doesn't have the most money and the very best talent in the world. Then lets see if he's still Manager of the Year.

N.B. That's not to say I haven't really enjoyed watching their football this season because it has been breath taking at times. He's also brought the best out of Sterling as well.

http://www.planetfootball.com/quick...017-18-season-jose-huddersfield-pep-brighton/

(Spoiler alert - it doesn't end well for Pep or us)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whilst I agree with most of what you say, I can't just assume that Pep wouldn't perform at a less well resourced club. That's exactly my point - we just don't know because he's never had to try. Also, as Stat Brother rightly points out, there's plenty of other managers that could be shipped into teams with the most money and best players and then not get the same results as Pep has.

On the flip side, plenty of Average managers have won cups/leagues with massive backings!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interesting point.I would have thought that Ruud Gullit would have won it at some stage (I don't know).

We were having a pre-match pint earlier today and one of my mates did some research. Apparently Gullit never won MOTM.

Hats off to you Chris.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
If there was an award for overall manager of the top 4 leagues then surely the Wolves manager get's it.
Never heard of the guy and don't know where he's come from but what he's done is amazing.
Beat's Pep with his trillions for me.

:lolol:

You’ve obviously missed Wolves filling their team with £15m players from Portugal then with Chinese money. Must be easily the most expensive championship team ever assembled?

Unless I’m being whooshed.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
:lolol:

You’ve obviously missed Wolves filling their team with £15m players from Portugal then with Chinese money. Must be easily the most expensive championship team ever assembled?

Unless I’m being whooshed.

I know zilch about Wolves however 15m in the Championship these days is that alot.What about the Prem teams that get relegated with squads worth millions and millions.They don't often go back up.I think the Wolves manager deserves alot of credit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here