Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Button for £4m? [Now: signed]

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Regardless of the Sunderland fans opinion, over the years i’ve been a lot more impressed with Steele than i have Button.

Not a good signing IMO, but as you say trust the scouting team and Roberts.

I think under Roberts, Steele will regain his confidence and surprise any doubters given the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We probably only need one of them to be a good signing anyway. Even with Ryan being away in January, the odds of the third choice keeper playing much are low. Will be interesting to see which one of Button and Steele become back up as, assuming we sign Button this weekend, they will both have all of pre season to impress.

I agree re Roberts. He has shown himself to be a very good judge of keepers and has improved every keeper here.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Thought this would have been done yesterday.

Clearly not...Are we still holding out for Krul. ?

??? ???

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Thought this would have been done yesterday.

Clearly not...Are we still holding out for Krul. ?

??? ???

Tim by far the better option IMHO but I am pretty sure he is off

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Didn't play for Fulham yesterday in their friendly against Crawley. Done deal?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe he'll be signed and then announced in Austria.

If Norwood is actually part of the deal did he travel ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well Norwood is on the trip and Hugo Keto jetted in to the Austria camp as another goalie.

I suspect the Button transfer is well and truely stuck, and if Baldock stays then we do have the option of signing a non-HGP keeper instead.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Hmmm... what’s the holdup I wonder?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My concern is the Asia cup - playing Button or Steele for a month doesn't really appeal. Ben Roberts in particular has earnt respect and trust over all goalkeeping related matters, but it's fair to be less than impressed with them both at this stage, especially knowing that one of them will have to play.

There is something quite ironic about having two excellent goalkeepers coming through, but trying to bring in an average Championship goalkeeper as cover in the immediate short term.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
My concern is the Asia cup - playing Button or Steele for a month doesn't really appeal. Ben Roberts in particular has earnt respect and trust over all goalkeeping related matters, but it's fair to be less than impressed with them both at this stage, especially knowing that one of them will have to play.

There is something quite ironic about having two excellent goalkeepers coming through, but trying to bring in an average Championship goalkeeper as cover in the immediate short term.

That’s silly. Maty Ryan could get injured at any time (touch wood) and one of the back up keepers would have to play. I don’t think the club would sign any player if they didn’t think they were good enough.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe Fulham want to sign a replacement first.

Perhaps - but there must be a cut off point though.

How close to deadline day do we wait ? Maybe Fulham will decide on August 9th that they are keeping him after all ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps - but there must be a cut off point though.

How close to deadline day do we wait ? Maybe Fulham will decide on August 9th that they are keeping him after all ?

Yes, we should set a deadline a la Tau...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I hear what you are saying, but we don't know yet wheter the two 'excellent' goalkeepers coming through are going to end up as any more than average Championship level in ability. Both are still young, (and in Sanchez case still far too young to tell).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Should have kept Krul or Maenpaa both of whom I had a reasonable amount of confidence in. Why would we be buying a goalie from a new premiership team - if he’s not good enough for Fulham then it sends me negative waves.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Should have kept Krul or Maenpaa both of whom I had a reasonable amount of confidence in. Why would we be buying a goalie from a new premiership team - if he’s not good enough for Fulham then it sends me negative waves.

This is getting boring now. We did try to keep Krul but he is out of contract so we can't force him to stay. Maenpaa has played one league game in three seasons so no idea what you are basing your confidence on. Why not trust the scouting team who have done so well for us in recent seasons (and the goalkeeping coach who has done a pretty good job so far)?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This is getting boring now. We did try to keep Krul but he is out of contract so we can't force him to stay. Maenpaa has played one league game in three seasons so no idea what you are basing your confidence on. Why not trust the scouting team who have done so well for us in recent seasons (and the goalkeeping coach who has done a pretty good job so far)?

This...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here